PDA

View Full Version : Connection between gluten & thryoid & diabetes

Ann
03-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't come to the FIAR boards that often anymore since I'm not currently homeschooling but I did drop in today. I am intrigued by what I've been reading about the connection between gluten & thryoid & diabetes. I have been on thyroid meds for 21 years after my oldest child was born. I also have type II diabetes. So tell me about the connection between gluten and these autoimmune diseases.

Ann

Ann
03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Good grief. It would help if I spelled thyroid correctly!!

DD in IL
03-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Watching this thread for answers

Laura F
03-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Ann, there is a very strong link between Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease. Both are autoimmune disorders. My 6 y.o. has Type 1 and is tested yearly for celiac.

Type 2 diabetes is metabolic, not autoimmune. I don't know the link between celiac and Type 2. Are you seeing an endocrinologist for your thyroid and diabetes?

Robin in Colorado
03-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Thyroid disease is also an autoimmune disorder. Check out this (http://www.amazon.com/Still-Thyroid-Symptoms-Tests-Normal/dp/1600376703/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299852801&sr=1-3) book. It discusses the link in-depth.

Lynn,NC
03-11-2011, 10:32 PM
The book that Robin mentions is awesome and it does talk about type 1 occurring in adults with autoimmune thyroid problems but being diagnosed as type 2 because it is just considered to be so.

There is also information about insulin resistance occurring with vitamin D deficiency, and vitamin D deficiency is often the case with Hashimoto's.

There is more. More than I can even say or retain at this point. This is a book I'll have to read again and again. :lol: Anyway, I think it's a complex picture for anyone with autoimmune disease. The islet cells of the pancreas can be targeted in adults with autoimmune illnesses. It doesn't have to be type 2 just because you are an adult. The pancreas can still produce enough insulin to make one think type 2 when in fact an autoimmune process is taking place. Again, that's my take on what I've read. :)

PS -- Laura, I'm afraid I sounded sassy. :lol: I am totally agreeing with you about type 1 and type 2. I was trying to say that type 1 may be happening but practitioners are assuming type 2. I wish I understood more. I will say that my vitamin D level had dropped even further on my last blood test but my A1c was up a bit. Still normal, but higher nonetheless. Scary.

Laura F
03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
PS -- Laura, I'm afraid I sounded sassy. :lol: I am totally agreeing with you about type 1 and type 2. I was trying to say that type 1 may be happening but practitioners are assuming type 2. I wish I understood more. I will say that my vitamin D level had dropped even further on my last blood test but my A1c was up a bit. Still normal, but higher nonetheless. Scary.

Not sassy at all. If an adult is diagnosed with Type 2, s/he needs to have bloodwork done to make sure it is Type 2 and not Type 1. Type 1 is sooo much harder to control. And there is a link between Vitamin D deficiency and diabetes as well. Most diabetics are deficient, which is why we take supplements.

Robin, I had wondered about thyroid problems. At the endocrinologist, we like to play with the thyroid model while we're in the exam room!