PDA

View Full Version : Any money saving tips for Disney?

Christy
03-14-2011, 10:05 PM
We'll be going in May and will be staying in a rental house so we can fix most of our own food (breakfast, dinner, snacks, etc.). For a family of six this is cheaper than staying at a Disney resort and using the dining plan.

However, I know we'll have to eat one meal along with one to two snacks throughout the day while in the parks, but that looks like it will cost us at least $100/day and we'll be there for five days!

Does anyone have any money saving tips for us? We were there back in 2003 and took a small cooler in each day with bottles of water and small snacks. Is that still allowed?

hollyjean
03-14-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm interested in this too! We are doing the same thing...only we are going the first week of April...I was coming to the same conclusion!

My middle son is required to drink a significant amount of healthy liquid...water...milk or juice a day...can I bring in a water bottle...or am I going to need to buy a new bottle of water several times a day? Anyone know if there are ANY exceptions on bringing things into the park? What if I have a doctors note?

Loree'
03-15-2011, 01:58 AM
We took a soft side cooler on wheels with all of our food & drinks. Cheaper & healthier, plus no lines! When you get hungry, simply find a bench & munch away. In the Magic Kingdom there was only one pavilion that I remember with tables & chairs that allowed people to eat food that wasn't purchased there. We didn't find that to be inconvenient though. To get on rides, we just put the cooler in stroller parking. We didn't have trouble anyone messing with it. We bought the kids an ice cream each day as a treat, but that was the only food we purchased.
I seem to remember that coolers could not be large hard side ones.

Michelle B.
03-15-2011, 10:19 AM
We took water and snacks. I also took packets of flavoring for water-refilling water bottles was great but the water has a different taste than you may be used to....

Mary FL
03-15-2011, 10:35 AM
When are you going in May? (You can PM me, Christy.)

www.disboards.com

DD in IL
03-15-2011, 10:56 AM
We were able to carry snacks. If you are military active or retired, there is a big discount.

Nedra
03-15-2011, 12:28 PM
I am not in Florida, but we have had Disneyland in California passes for 16 years now (taking out 2 twin-years). We have always brought in a medium sized soft sided cooler with all of our own food and water bottles. Out here they do not allow glass or metal utensils. We have never brought in utensils because if we need a spoon or fork it is easy to grab one at one of the many food stands.

Again, I don't know how different Disney World is (never been there) but at our California Adventure Park next door to Disneyland there is a WONDERFUL sour dough bread shop. It is connected to an actual walking tour of a sour dough bread factory. You can buy those sour dough soup bowls among other things. We buy loaves of sour dough bread pre-sliced and just bring sandwich fixings (ham, bologna, turkey lunchmeat, sliced cheese, tuna salad, even PB and J) and make the most delicious sandwiches down there. We usually buy 2 loaves (around $9.00) which feeds my family two meals (17 yr. old son eats a lot) and we bring home some leftover. So much cheaper than buying meals out and YUMMY.

Nan in SouthTX
04-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi, y'all! I popped back on here after a long absence to see if anyone's going to Walt Disney World this summer, and look who I found! :clap: We're going, too...Christy, I'll be PMing you! :D

I second all great money-saving suggestions. Also, you can get cups of ice water free at any counter service or restaurant. Just ask!

Kendall in GA
04-11-2011, 08:06 AM
We took water and snacks.

A must, IMO! :yes: :thumb:

Rachel Jane
04-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Hi, y'all! I popped back on here after a long absence to see if anyone's going to Walt Disney World this summer, and look who I found! :clap: We're going, too...Christy, I'll be PMing you! :D

I second all great money-saving suggestions. Also, you can get cups of ice water free at any counter service or restaurant. Just ask!

:hi: Nan! How are you and yours! :group:

Hollie in SC
04-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Water is free at any quick service restaurants and some of the snack areas (just not the portable type areas which sell water bottles). Disposable cups w/ice. Easier for us than managing water bottles on/off rides. STAY hydrated!!

Pack ponchos. If it rains you will be thankful! We've had some drenching days and we've had weeks w/no rain at all.

Soft sided coolers were allowed as of Dec. Everything will be searched. Some folks are more thorough than others. Plan ahead knowing that will happen and it take some time to get through each morning. Back packs or fanny packs highly recommended as opposed to purses.

The quick service meals are often a good size. We share a lot of meals often buying 3 for our family for lunch as opposed to 5. Your kids are older, but you might want to see if that will work for you guys even if it means ordering 5 meals instead of 6 meals--that is about 10/day. If it is hot, I'm never quite as hungry anyway. Fruit is sold at a few stands in the park and it is a cheaper snack.

Oh, and if no one has warned you ;), if you plan to ride Soarin' at EPCOT or Toy Story Mania at DHS, then send 1-2 in your party immediately to the Fast Pass lines at rope drop (with everyone's tickets) to get them. They often run out of FP very early in the day. If it is a day where that particular park has early morning hours for guests staying on site, it is even more important.

:group: Have fun!

Nan in SouthTX
04-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Rachel, we're doing well! Thomas graduates from homeschool next month!

Christy, counter service is less expensive than table service. Often, meals are big enough to split, thus saving even more money. :)

Hollie in SC
04-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Rachel, we're doing well! Thomas graduates from homeschool next month!

:hcry: :clap: :group:

Christy
04-14-2011, 04:58 PM
These are some great tips girls. Thanks! For whatever reason, I no longer receive emails each day telling me there have been comments added here so I had no idea there were more until I just happened to drop by.

hollyjean
04-14-2011, 11:39 PM
I don't have any tips to add...just wanted to say we just got back from our week at Disney...and it was FABULOUS :) I'm ready to move to Disney World, lol!

Kendall in GA
04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Also, you can get cups of ice water free at any counter service or restaurant. Just ask!

Just a consideration...You may not want to go to a counter for service, i.e. it could be inconvenient. I like to have my water already w/ me; it's more convenient, IMO. :)

Rebecca in Orlando
04-15-2011, 07:47 AM
HollyJean...I do live at Disney World, and I love it! Well actually, I live about 10 minutes from MK. We go there all the time. Going today too! I would prefer to live near family in a place with seasons, but have to admit, I would REALLY miss Disney World!

JavaJackie
04-15-2011, 08:14 AM
We always buy the koolaid bursts..their around $1.50 for a 6 packs and freeze them. Then pop them in a backpack and by about 10 or 11 am, when you are in need of a drink they are nice and slushy.

Nan in SouthTX
04-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Just a consideration...You may not want to go to a counter for service, i.e. it could be inconvenient. I like to have my water already w/ me; it's more convenient, IMO. :)

True! :cool: