PDA

View Full Version : Scripture

Nedra
04-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Is there actually a scripture verse regarding not taking up your neighbor's (or brother's) offense? This had been quoted to me several times in the past. But my husband and I can't seem to find this.

True scripture or one of those man-made verses?

KarenF
04-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Do you mean the "turn the other cheek" one or does is specifically say offense?

Nedra
04-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Do you mean the "turn the other cheek" one or does is specifically say offense?

I have heard several Christian ladies reference a Scripture that specifically says not to take up your neighbor's, or your brother's offense. But I have yet to see this in the Bible.

Jekka Renee
04-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Do you mean something along the lines of 1 Timothy 5:22 - Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, nor take part in the sins of others; keep yourself pure.

I can't think of anything that specifically says offense though.

Melissa Crabtree
04-02-2011, 07:22 PM
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 says "11 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, 12 so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need. "

Is that what you're speaking of maybe? Sounds to me like it is wise to stay out of issues that don't concern us, though I don't know of a scripture that says it. Sounds like a Proverbs statement to me.

ETA Proverbs 25:9 If you argue your case with a neighbor, do not betray another man's confidence,

Psalm 15:1-5 1Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? 2He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. 3He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour. 4In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not. 5He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

I think v3 might be it (but I left it in context)? This is hard to read in the King James, but sometimes the oldest cliches come from the King James version, so I started there. I did have to laugh at "backbiteth" though! :lol:

Here it is in the New American Standard 1 O LORD, who may abide in Your tent ? Who may dwell on Your holy hill ? 2 He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart. 3 He does not slander with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor takes up a reproach against his friend ; 4 In whose eyes a reprobate is despised, But who honors those who fear the LORD ; He swears to his own hurt and does not change ; 5 He does not put out his money at interest, Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things will never be shaken.

TammyH
04-02-2011, 11:45 PM
When you say "offense," do you mean another's sin - or being offended on their behalf?

Melissa Crabtree
04-03-2011, 12:29 PM
When you say "offense," do you mean another's sin - or being offended on their behalf?

I had that same question... like are people telling you not to fight on your neighbor's behalf (a nice way of saying mind your own business)?

Carol Ryan
04-03-2011, 11:56 PM
How about this one?

“Lord, who may abide in Your tabernacle? Who may dwell in Your holy hill? He who walks uprightly, And works righteousness, And speaks the truth in his heart; He who does not backbite with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor does he take up a reproach against his friend” (Psa. 15:1-3).

http://enidnews.com/church/x651393658/Don-t-take-any-offense

KarenF
04-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I found this and immediately thought of you:

ESV Proverbs 19:11:

Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.

Now, context is important and an overall study would be good, because in the NT we are instructed to go to a brother who has offended us as there is righteous anger. We just don't need to go around getting mad at every little thing people do that annoys us.

The commentary of Walvoord and Zuck say this regarding Proverbs 19:11:

"A prudent, patient man is not easily upset by people who offend him; in fact he overlooks offenses knowing that to harbor resentment or attempt revenge only leads to more trouble. Overlooking them is his glory, that is it is honorable."

DD in IL
04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I don't know where the verse is but it is along the lines of .....just because you got mad at jane doe for something that is between you and jane doe, I should not get mad at jane doe with you........this is an important one to take to heart especially when dealing with your sons in law....because my dd is going to forgive sil for what he might do but if I have gotten mad I may not be as apt to forgive....

Esther-Alabama
04-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't know where the verse is but it is along the lines of .....just because you got mad at jane doe for something that is between you and jane doe, I should not get mad at jane doe with you........this is an important one to take to heart especially when dealing with your sons in law....because my dd is going to forgive sil for what he might do but if I have gotten mad I may not be as apt to forgive....

LOVE your perspective on this, DD. I have only spoken badly of my dh to my mother once. She told me to keep that to myself, that mothers tended to automatically side with their children and she would just rather not know if we had a disagreement! I thought it was silly then, but now I get it.

DD in IL
04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
you have a wise mother Esther