PDA

View Full Version : Horrific Headaches

HeatherS
04-03-2011, 09:09 AM
My headaches have become very frequent, and I am so tired of them! Since that first headache on Tuesday morning, I have had five major headaches, not counting the mild one I have right now. They go from 0 to 60 in about five minutes, starting with that first little twinge. The pain is that top of my head on the right side, and creeps down into my eye and my nose. It feels like someone rammed a hot fireplace poker up there! After about 5 more minutes, it spreads down the back of my head to my neck, into my brow bones and eventually over the the other side of my face, where it doesn't hurt quite so much, but who can tell when it feels like my right side has been hit with the sledgehammer?! It feels like my head is being crushed! It's also suffocating how much these hurt. I tried to go to the dr. on Friday, but will have to wait until tomorrow. Meanwhile, I am terrified of having another one of these headaches/migraines.

Rachel Jane
04-03-2011, 12:05 PM
:group: I am so sorry! I hate that for you!
I hope the dr has some meds for you. When I had debilitating headaches, the dr would give me a shot and then meds to take. If puking was involved, he'd give me a pen(shot) to take home or suppositories.
Praying you find relief.

Kendra AU
04-03-2011, 09:14 PM
:group: Sorry.

I've never tried this, but I've heard tell that if you plunge your feet into the coldest water you can tolerate and place the hottest cloth you can tolerate on your head you can defeat a migraine. .. I think I've got that right, feet cold, face hot. I've never tried it because I'm always, always, always cold lately and the htought of making myself colder freaks me out big time! BUT, having said that there is a scientific base on why it works and it all has to do with the way your blood vessels are contracting.

Sue C
04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Heather do you have any answers yet? Sounds like a scary kind of migraine. :sad: Keep us posted. I'm glad you are going to the Dr. :group:

HeatherS
04-04-2011, 11:18 AM
I went to the doctor this morning and was told that yes, these are migraines. I was given a prescription for Maxalt, and we'll see if that helps.

I asked him if they could be hormone related, but he said there really aren't reliable tests for hormone levels. (I've wondered if I'm starting to go into perimenopause.) Anyway.... I'm hoping these pills work!

Rachel Jane
04-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Hoping with you!:group:

Sheri
04-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Magnesium helps my headaches tremendously (that along with a gagillion other things but magnesium is my most recent find)...the only issue is if I forget to take it I get slammed with a migraine.

HeatherS
04-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Well, other other day I went to pick up my 'script for the Maxalt, and it was going to be over $300! :eek: I didn't expect that! I was given three free samples by the doctor, which I found out the other day would have cost $75... but anyway (eye roll) ...
I have a cold now, and my head is really clogged up, so I took some NyQuil last night. And woke up this morning with a starter-migraine. So I took one of my Maxalt samples, and was SO NAUSEOUS! I cuddled up with my dd and turned on a movie so I could sleep some of the nausea away. I feel a little better now, but my head is such a fog, and I'm phlegmy, and such feeling ... blaaaaahhhh. On top of that, I'm emotionally and mentally out of sorts on scrambled, and would really love to just sit and cry, but that woud make my head feel worse. :lol: Oh my, I laugh to keep from screaming.
Please, please pray for my head!

Rachel Jane
04-07-2011, 03:53 PM
:group: I am so sorry that you are not finding relief. I have been where you are. Look into http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Headache-Program-Taking/dp/0761125663.
It was a big help, but the biggest help FOR ME was to start taking Source Naturals 5 htp on a regular basis. I hear that for some people it doesn't work, but for me it has been a life changer. I still get headaches, but not to the point of incapacitation, nausea or hospitalization.

HeatherS
04-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Sheri, I will try to remember to get magnesium next time I'm at Wal-Mart. I'll also look into the 5HTP!

Susie in MS
04-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Please do get mag. My ds used to have horrifying migraines till he started taking mag. Now he never has them.

HeatherS
04-27-2011, 12:40 PM
It's been a while since I've been slammed with a bad headache, however, I still feel dull pain from time to time in all the same spot where it hurts the most during a migraine. It's always the right side of my head, in my nose/sinus, my eye, my brow bone the top of my head, and the back of my head where it meets my neck. Allergies, maybe?

Nancy F in CA
04-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Anyone know what the best dose of magnesium would be? I tried gluten free and that did not help, so am going to try the magnesium. I bought some at the health food store and it is 100 mg chelated magnesium. Would I just take 1?
Thanks!

Penny
05-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Hi,
Try feverfew...I was getting the same type of headache atleast 3 to 5 times a week and once I took feverfew for approx 6 weeks....no more headaches! Feverfew is an herb that is wonderful for migraines.

Feverfew is an anti-inflammatory, and so works much like ibuprofen. It is also believed that the herb may inhibit chemicals that cause the blood vessels in your head to spasm

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/feverfew-000243.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_5133505_use-feverfew-migraine-headaches.html

It works!

Penny