PDA

View Full Version : Oh Negin...

Sheri
04-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I need direction.

I have a list of vitamins that I should be taking to help with depression. Problem is I would like to find a site where I can find any contraindications. Would you know where to send me?

Negin
04-04-2011, 03:41 AM
I need direction.
I have a list of vitamins that I should be taking to help with depression. Problem is I would like to find a site where I can find any contraindications. Would you know where to send me?
Sheri, first of all, sorry that you're suffering from depression. :sad: :group:
Second, if you need me to give suggestions for depression - supplements, etc. - I can share them here.
Finally, as far as contraindications go, this is what I have. I hope it's somewhat helpful. :unsure:

Doctors aren’t always savvy about drug, food, and nutrition interactions. Pharmacists frequently have access to an up-to-the-minute database that tells them which substances combine well together and which can cause problems. You need to know whether or not the nutrients you’re taking could cause complications, or could thin your blood too much, particularly if you’re scheduled for surgery.
It’s vital to talk with several people in your health-care team – your pharmacist, physician, and any practitioners of complementary medicine, to look carefully at the actions and interactions of everything you’re taking. You or they can also consult the new “Physicians’ Desk Reference for Nutritional Supplements (http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/drugs-index.aspx)”, an excellent up-to-date reference on the actions and adverse reactions of hundreds of nutrients.

Here are some common drug interactions—as well as potential benefits—when taken with herbs and other supplements or even certain foods:
Anticonvulsant drugs (like Carbatrol, Depakote, Dilantin, Mysoline, Tegretol) may react negatively with ginkgo, glutamine, grapefruit juice, nicotinamide (a compound produced when the body breaks down vitamin B3, or niacin), sedative herbs (kava, hops, passionflower, valerian), St. John’s wort, vitamin A, and white willow (an herbal analgesic). But carnitine and vitamin D may be useful for people taking these drugs.

Benzodiazepines (anti-anxiety and sedative drugs like Ativan, Halcion, Klonopin, Librium, Serax, Valium, Xanax) can interact with grapefruit juice and sedative herbs (kava, hops, passionflower, valerian), while melatonin (a natural hormone that regulates sleep) may be beneficial.

Corticosteroids (anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive meds like Articocort, Celestone, Decadron, Hydrocortone, Nasacort) are not recommended with the herb licorice (if taken internally), but calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D supplementation can help prevent bone loss due to these drugs. And topical use of aloe and licorice appears to enhance the effects of hydrocortisone cream.

Heparin (a very strong blood thinner) is not recommended with garlic, ginkgo, phosphatidylserine, policosanol, vitamin C, or white willow, but because this drug can interfere with vitamin D in the body, you may need to supplement this “sunshine” vitamin.

NSAIDs (pain-relieving anti-inflammatories including aspirin, Bufferin, Cope, ibuprofen (like Midol, Motrin), naproxen, and Cox-2 inhibitors may react negatively with arginine (an amino acid found in dairy, fish, poultry, and meats), feverfew, garlic, ginkgo, policosanol, potassium citrate, St. John’s wort, vitamin E, and white willow. But cayenne, folate, licorice, and vitamin C supplementation may be useful.

Statins (popular drugs like Lipitor, Mevacor, Pravachol, Zocor for lowering cholesterol) are not recommended to use with grapefruit juice, niacin, or red yeast rice (an herbal cholesterol-lowering therapy), but anyone taking statins also needs CoQ10 for energy production and normal heart function.

Tamoxifen (an anti-estrogen drug used in treating breast cancer) may have its beneficial effects enhanced by the omega-6 fatty acid GLA.

Thyroid hormones (like Armour Thyroid, Choloxin, Euthroid, Synthroid) should not be taken at the same time as calcium or iron supplements, and soy may interfere with the absorption of these meds.

Warfarin (a somewhat dangerous anticoagulent drug) is not recommended for use with alfalfa supplements, Asian ginseng, devil’s claw, digestive enzymes (bromelain and papain), dong quai, feverfew, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, green tea, policosanol, St. John’s wort, vinpocetine, vitamins A, C, E, K, or white willow.

Obviously, you need to tell your healthcare provider about any supplements you take regularly—and don’t be afraid to explain why. Even more important, ask about any potential adverse effects and interactions for all medicines he or she prescribes. It’s never a bad idea to ask your pharmacist about interactions, either. Often these professionals are very knowledgeable on the ill effects of drugs.

DD in IL
04-04-2011, 05:33 AM
What is the conflict with Niacin and statins? My dh's doctor recommended he take Niacin and he is on a low dose statin.

Negin
04-05-2011, 05:09 AM
What is the conflict with Niacin and statins? My dh's doctor recommended he take Niacin and he is on a low dose statin.
I think, and I'm pretty certain that I read this, but can't remember where, that you shouldn't take them at the same time or within a few hours of each other.
I would ask my pharmacist. I love niacin and have been taking it for years. My parents also.
Statins, I don't really like at all, but sometimes one has little choice.

Sheri
04-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks. I actually have a list of vitamins and supplements printed out from you from a past thread but there were so many things that I felt a little iffy about combining.

Right now I am staying simple:

magnesium:400 mg/day (800 if I remember to take a second dose)
St.John's Wort: 300 mg./day
and a Multi Vitamin I just had in the cabinet.

I read that I really need to up ALL of the B's. Have you ever heard that?

And Of course I don't want to mix St. John's Wort, 5 HTP, Vit B12, D3, Fish Oil, magnesium...LOL Sounds like way too much.

I wish I could find a website in which I could input every vitamin and it would say something like "Take D3 with fish oil around noon, take magnesium at each meal," etc...

Negin
04-07-2011, 05:37 AM
Sheri, I take more than what you listed. I have no problems. Dh also.
The magnesium is a very low dose. Many take much more and have no problems. Make sure you're taking a good magnesium.
People can take St. John's Wort at doses of up to 1000 mg with no problems.
Bs do helps with depression and are key. A good B Complex is helpful.
Avoid B Vitamins that are less than 10 mg. The B Complex vitamins are an important part of the synergy of the multi-vitamin, and each B vitamin is important to the synergy of the B Complex grouping. It's a red flag if the B vitamins are at such low levels that they are insignificant and unhelpful to the human system in creating a strong basis for protection.
I also take 5-HTP on most days, B12, D3, Fish Oil, magnesium, and a whole lot more. I take all of them and have zero problems.
Take D3 with a fat-containing meal.
I prefer to take magnesium at night - or split it up - 400 mg in the afternoon and 400 mg at night, for example.
St. John's Wort is best taken at night.
5-HTP - take it sublingually. Avoid protein 20 minutes before and after taking. I like to take it before sleeping.
I highly recommend this book (http://www.amazon.com/Mood-Cure-4-Step-Program-Emotions--Today/dp/0142003646/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302168944&sr=8-1) for you. I've read her book "The Diet Cure". She's good and knows her stuff.
Here's her site (http://www.amazon.com/Mood-Cure-4-Step-Program-Emotions--Today/dp/0142003646/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302168944&sr=8-1).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9hh0JQ9UkcY/TW8jH5UN01I/AAAAAAAAALI/2Ja8_fn3D24/s400/Mood%2BCure%2BBook.jpg

Negin
04-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Sheri, one more suggestion, if you're very concerned - add new supplements and/or increased dosages gradually. Mark your calendar - see how your body reacts after say, 6 weeks or so. But quite honestly, unless your body is super-sensitive or if you're taking meds that may be contradictory, you should be perfectly fine.
If you want, list every supplement for me and I'll give you as much info as to when to take them, etc. - all the info that I have. Just give me time. Super-busy these days, but I will do it if you're interested. :group:

Sheri
04-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks so much, that helps a lot.

You listed (a few weeks ago) vitamins for depression it was a LONG LONG thread, I printed it out and made notes all over it. My primary concern was what to mix, what not to mix, etc. I went to the PDR you recommended but it just served to confuse me more.

It looks like what you just wrote out was my eventual goal. I'll look into the book too.

Thanks so much.

Negin
04-09-2011, 05:33 AM
Sheri, you're most welcome. Let me know if you need tips, etc.

Thinking of you.

You look gorgeous :group: and every time I see your lovely avatar, I keep reminding myself to order some new glasses from that place you linked. Just a bit scared to. At least they're not very expensive. :)

Sheri
04-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Sheri, you're most welcome. Let me know if you need tips, etc.

Thinking of you.

You look gorgeous :group: and every time I see your lovely avatar, I keep reminding myself to order some new glasses from that place you linked. Just a bit scared to. At least they're not very expensive. :)

Thanks! And you know what, if you hate the glasses you aren't out much.

Negin
04-09-2011, 08:42 AM
if you hate the glasses you aren't out much.
:yes: :D

First, I need to get my bag shopping out of the way, then glasses ... :D Too many things to do, too little time :eek:.

Kendra AU
04-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Sheri, just so you know.. if you're taking any prescription anti depressants you're not meant to take St John's.. When they had me on antidepressants for migraines St J's was a banned substance which drove me crazy because the antidepressants they put me on made me sooooo angry and grouchy ALL.THE.TIME.

Sheri
04-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks Kendra! Did not realize that. Thankfully I pretty regularly forget to take the SJW.

Kendra AU
04-09-2011, 09:18 PM
You can take Vitamin B12 though.. or even a combo of B vitamins which can help with mood. My problem was that I was constantly grumpy on the stuff they put me on. I don't know if it's because I wasn't depressed or what. I'm talking look at me funny and I'd bite your head off. I found it not to be as bad when I reduced my dosage, and eventually I stopped taking it all together because no matter how much I reduced my dosage eventually the crankiness caught up with me.

The Tassie Dr tried to put me on something else {migraine prevention} but it was meant to mess with my heart and after realizing that I told her to no way. She was cranky with me and retired a few weeks later. :lol:

Negin
04-11-2011, 03:49 AM
Sheri, just so you know.. if you're taking any prescription anti depressants you're not meant to take St John's.
Yes, Kendra is right. My notes say:
"St. John’s Wort can reduce the effectiveness of some medications. If you take any drugs at all, consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this herb."

Negin
04-11-2011, 03:48 PM
http://pilladvised.com/