PDA

View Full Version : MOMS' BOOK THREAD --- Week 14 of 2011

Elysa Mac
04-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Week 14 FIAR Friends!:D

What'cha reading?

Stacia
04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
http://biblioklept.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/the_broom_of_the_system-large.jpg?w=201&h=300

I've started another book that was one of my 'pick a book by its cover' choices: The Broom of the System (http://www.amazon.com/Broom-System-Novel-Penguin-Ink/dp/0143116932/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301854171&sr=1-1) by David Foster Wallace. (Apparently the cover I liked was a reissue of the book w/ the cover art designed by Duke Riley, a tattoo artist. Unfortunately, the copy from my library has an ugly 80s style cover, lol.) As for the novel itself.... It is bizarre. And funny. And I have no idea where it's going. And I like it.

"From Library Journal
The year is 1990, and the place Cleveland. Lenore Beadsman works as a telephone operator for Frequent and Vigorous Publishers. Her roommate's name is Candy Mandible, their parrot is Vlad the Impaler, there is a Judith Prietht, and businesses have names like Hunt and Peck. Lenore's great-grandmother and several cronies disappear from their nursing home, and the search for them leads across the Great Ohio Desert (G.O.D.). The novel is largely dialogue, much of it quite funny and perceptive. Obviously not aimed at the Danielle Steel or Robert Ludlum crowds, Wallace's book will appeal to people his age (mid-20s) and to older readers who enjoy trying the unfamiliar. Libraries serving such patrons should consider it."

I went to my book club meeting tonight & we discussed Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun (http://www.amazon.com/Meeting-Faith-Forest-Journals-Buddhist/dp/039332673X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301887871&sr=1-1-spell). Everyone seemed to be in agreement that parts of the book were really interesting; other parts less so. Also, nobody seemed to like the disjointed layout/style & felt it could have been done better. (Of course, most of us there were/are writers & editors, lol.) For our next book, we wanted something lighter, so we're planning to read an Elizabeth George mystery.

By the way, did you know it's National Poetry Month (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/41)? :) I'm not really into poetry myself, but I feel like I should try more, kwim? Anyway, in honor of National Poetry Month, I'll post this little poem by Shel Silverstein:
http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens17737689module148854859photo_1299970664s hel-silverstein-12679.jp

Negin
04-04-2011, 03:20 AM
I just started a fluffy and easy read, by one of my favorite fluffy and easy authors :D - Maeve Binchy - Minding Frankie (http://www.amazon.com/Minding-Frankie-Maeve-Binchy/dp/0307273563/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301901558&sr=1-1)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Mj-MNGP9aHc/TZOS59eeEcI/AAAAAAAAAFc/lZfCmtRgq7s/s1600/Minding%2BFrankie.JPG

I love how paperbacks, or, should I say, supermarket paperbacks ;), come out much quicker internationally.

Michele
04-04-2011, 08:14 AM
LOL! Minding Frankie is on my stack too! Still reading One Thousand Gifts I'm supposed to be reading My Name is Mary Sutter It's a rainy Monday and I'm having commitment issues I think.

JuliaT
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I have had trouble, the last two weeks, in finishing a book. I am now reading 'Red Herrings Without Mustard' by Alan Bradley (I think that is the title. His titles are so strange that I have trouble remembering them :))
I think that I will be able to finish this one. It is very good so far.

Elysa Mac
04-04-2011, 10:23 AM
[
By the way, did you know it's National Poetry Month (http://www.poets.org/page.php/prmID/41)? :) I'm not really into poetry myself, but I feel like I should try more, kwim?

How fun that I didn't know this when I was requesting a lot of kids' poetry books last night on our library's online website.:D

BTW, do you get Public Radio in your area? Our station carries a thing that Garrision Keilor does that is about 10 minutes long and he talks about writers, books, etc. and always ends with a poem. I've heard some stinkers but I've also been exposed to some beautiful ones that way. It is called THE WRITERS ALMANAC.

I just did a google search to find a link for it and saw that you can listen to them as podcasts. It might be something you enjoy checking out. I know that I usually enjoy it and I am not someone I'd describe as a fan of poetry.

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/archive.php

Elysa Mac
04-04-2011, 10:24 AM
The Broom of the System by David Foster Wallace.

It sounds interesting. Is it clean?

KathleenM
04-04-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm finishing up Zora and Nicky by Claudia Mair Burney. Elysa, if you didn't see my comments in last week's thread (I was the thread killer, so as far as I know, no one saw what I wrote! :)) I agree with your husband that these two main characters need counseling! However, I think that a lot of what is going on in the book is exaggeration and over-the-top events to make the author's points. I also notice a similar pattern to her Amanda Bell Brown mysteries, in which the romantic couple spats a lot to add to the tension. Part of my curiosity in reading this book is that my brothers are both in mixed-race marriages, and I wanted to see how the topic would be handled. Of course, in our families, there are no guns drawn, no one disowning anyone, no racial slurs, and no hitting!

ETA: I got The Clouds Roll Away by Sibella Giorello a few days ago, and look forward to beginning that one, possibly as soon as this evening.

LillianD
04-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Born To Run by Christopher McDougall.

Elysa Mac
04-04-2011, 10:42 AM
I read THE SUNFLOWER by Richard Paul Evans because it is set in Peru. My soon-to-be 14 year old son is going there this summer on a missions trip with AIM. I know very little about the country or the culture so I picked this one up motivated by the desire to learn more. I did learn a good many things I didn't know before. It was the typical RPEvans sweet, love-story. I was surprised though about a couple of things he put in there. I mean, by today's standards the book is still clean, but there were a couple of things that were in there that just didn't seem to go with what he usually writes.

I am now reading A BILLION REASONS by Kristen Billerbeck. It is set in New Orleans, one of our family's favorite cities and where my oldest daughter will be going to college. So it is another fun-connection reads. :)

Oops. Remembered that I finished BILLION REASONS late last night. :blush:

I am going to start HEAVEN IS FOR REAL NOW. A lady in our church was really impacted by it and wants me to read it. She said it has blessed and ministered to her family which experienced the horrific death of a young relative recently.

Stacia
04-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I am now reading 'Red Herrings Without Mustard' by Alan Bradley

I want to read this one. I've really enjoyed his first 2 books in that series.

How fun that I didn't know this when I was requesting a lot of kids' poetry books last night on our library's online website.:D

BTW, do you get Public Radio in your area? Our station carries a thing that Garrision Keilor does that is about 10 minutes long and he talks about writers, books, etc. and always ends with a poem. I've heard some stinkers but I've also been exposed to some beautiful ones that way. It is called THE WRITERS ALMANAC.

Thanks for the link & the reminder. Yes, we love to listen to NPR a lot in our house (my dh, especially, loves having the radio on). We both enjoy Garrison Keillor (my dh really loves GK's show) & we even went to see GK's one-man show when he was here in town a few months ago. (One of my favorite NPR shows is "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me!", (http://www.npr.org/programs/wait-wait-dont-tell-me/)lol.)

Talking about all the poetry things makes me think I need to have my kids start memorizing poetry again. We did it regularly for about 1-2 years, but haven't done it lately. I need to pull our materials out for that & start doing it again w/ the dc. :)

It sounds interesting. Is it clean?

So far, no, not totally.

(I was the thread killer, so as far as I know, no one saw what I wrote! :))

I saw your post, lol. :lol: (So, you're not a thread killer.)

Born To Run by Christopher McDougall.

I loved that book!

AndreaL
04-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I really enjoyed The Sugar Camp Quilt last week:) Now I am reading The Winter Room by Gary Paulsen. My son gave it to me and I'm finding parts of it so funny!:lol:

Stacia, I love Shel Silverstein:clap:

Andrea

Ronette in CA
04-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I am at the tail end of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Trying to decide what to read next...hmmmmm....

KathleenM
04-04-2011, 11:18 AM
I saw your post, lol. :lol: (So, you're not a thread killer.)

I just noticed that Elysa did reply... making her the thread killer! :lol:

Elysa Mac
04-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the link & the reminder. Yes, we love to listen to NPR a lot in our house (my dh, especially, loves having the radio on).
So far, no, not totally.

Same here! I have their news portions on while I'm making breakfast and supper nearly every day and I love a lot of their other programming, too, even CAR TALK!:lol:

And thanks for the info on the cleanness factor. ;)

Elysa Mac
04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I just noticed that Elysa did reply... making her the thread killer! :lol:

Instead of Miss USA, just call me Miss TK.:kiss:

Shauna
04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Still reading Baking Cakes in Kigali. I like it, but it's not moving quickly enough to keep my interest so I may switch to something else until I'm in the mood for a quiet, slower-paced book. I also have The Boy in Striped Pajamas on my night stand.

Stacia
04-04-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm also starting Cleopatra: A Life (http://www.amazon.com/Cleopatra-Life-Stacy-Schiff/dp/0316001929/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301957146&sr=1-1) today because I was on a wait-list at the library & just got it. (I won't be able to renew it.)

http://images.historybookclub.com/ProductImages/LG/57/1000447357_LG.jpg

"From Booklist

For those who think they know enough about Cleopatra or have the enigmatic Egyptian queen all figured out, think again. Schiff, demonstrating the same narrative flair that captivated readers of her Pulitzer Prize–winning Véra (Mrs. Vladimir Nabokov) (1999), provides a new interpretation of the life of one of history’s most enduringly intriguing women. Rather than a devastatingly beautiful femme fatale, Cleopatra, according to Schiff, was a shrewd power broker who knew how to use her manifold gifts—wealth, power, and intelligence—to negotiate advantageous political deals and military alliances. Though long on facts and short on myth, this stellar biography is still a page-turner; in fact, because this portrait is grounded so thoroughly in historical context, it is even more extraordinary than the more fanciful legend. Cleopatra emerges as a groundbreaking female leader, relying on her wits, determination, and political acumen rather than sex appeal to astutely wield her power in order to get the job done. Ancient Egypt never goes out of style, and Cleopatra continues to captivate successive generations."

MelissaSS
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
I finished A Tale of Two Cities at about midnight last night. I could not put it down. So good, but sad :sad:

My newest read, which I have just barely started, is Middlemarch, by George Eliot.

Laura F
04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Shauna, I agree that Baking Cakes in Kigali isn't a page-turner, but I thought it was a lighter read about Rwanda.

I just finished re-reading Anne Tyler's Digging to America. I love Anne Tyler and couldn't resist buying a $1 copy at the library sale.

Negin
04-05-2011, 05:21 AM
LOL! Minding Frankie is on my stack too!
Michele, we often have such similar taste in books - Geography of Bliss - as well as others. :)
I already finished Minding Frankie. That's what happens when one is stuck at an airport for an entire day with no one else to talk to.
ETA: I started reading Maeve when I was 17 or 18. Love her. Her books can actually be quite deep. I learned a lot about what to look for and what to avoid in a future spouse from her books. I would love to re-read all of her books. More than anything, I would like dd to read them also. Maybe in a few years' time. Poor thing is in a real reading rut ... wish I could find something for her. She's very picky.

I'm also starting Cleopatra: A Life (http://www.amazon.com/Cleopatra-Life-Stacy-Schiff/dp/0316001929/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301957146&sr=1-1) today

http://images.historybookclub.com/ProductImages/LG/57/1000447357_LG.jpg
[COLOR="Indigo"]"From Booklist
I really want to read this. Love the cover.

I finished [I]A Tale of Two Cities at about midnight last night. I could not put it down. So good, but sad :sad:

Melissa, yes, that's one of our favorites.
You are impressing me. Reading classics back-to-back. I was doing the same thing a few years ago. I need to get back to reading classics more often.

I just finished re-reading Anne Tyler's Digging to America. I love Anne Tyler and couldn't resist buying a $1 copy at the library sale.
I liked this one a lot. I haven't read all of her stuff, but what I have read, I've liked. Her late husband was an Iranian and she's very accurate with her descriptions, etc.

Laura F
04-05-2011, 07:49 AM
I liked this one a lot. I haven't read all of her stuff, but what I have read, I've liked. Her late husband was an Iranian and she's very accurate with her descriptions, etc.

I didn't know that. No wonder her descriptions of Iranian food were so yummy!

JuliaT
04-05-2011, 08:09 AM
. I also have The Boy in Striped Pajamas on my night stand.

This book was very powerful to me. The ending made me suck air ( borrowing a favourite saying from a friend. :) )

Michelle B.
04-05-2011, 09:29 AM
I grabbed Karen Kingsbury's Unlocked yesterday while I was at the library.

Michele
04-05-2011, 09:36 AM
My plans changed a bit. My 11 yr old and I are reading Apolo Ohno's book, Zero Regrets. I wasn't planning on reading it, but it has turned into a more in depth study. We have had some very thought provoking discussions thus far!

KathleenM
04-05-2011, 10:07 AM
I had a sudden craving for an Amazon fix. I ordered a deluxe edition of Kristin Lavransdottir (http://www.amazon.com/Kristin-Lavransdatter-Penguin-Classics-Deluxe/dp/0143039164/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302011762&sr=8-1), a mega-tome that contains all three books. I don't want to wait for PaperbackSwap to have the next two books available, and after reading book one, I've decided that this series is a keeper.

On a whim, I bought another book that looks interesting to me. It is called The Brothers of Gwynedd: The Legend of the First True Prince of Wales (http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Gwynedd-Legend-First-Prince/dp/140223760X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0). It had captured my interest on PaperbackSwap, and I had added it to my wish list. The volume I have linked is actually 4 books, and they are available separately as well. All the reviews I have read look promising. The cover of this edition looks a little "romance novel" for my taste, but the reviews indicate that it is a challenging, deep, and detailed epic story. ETA: The author of this book is an Order of the British Empire honoree.

Now I get to wait for the big, brown truck to deliver the happy swoosh box to my doorstep! :)

KathleenM
04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
And in other news...

I found a bunch of Inspector Lynley mysteries (based upon Elizabeth George novels) on Netflix and added them to my queue. I watched one last night and decided to delete them all. Not that they aren't good or well made, because the BBC rarely dissapoints me when it comes to their renditions of good novels. I decided that part of what I love about EG's mysteries is the fact that I'm hanging on till the end, driving myself crazy trying to figure out who did it. Her stories are so complex, and there are always a number of possibilities as to who the guilty party is. Her murders never happen in a vacuum; they are always surrounded by dysfunction, secrets, and scandals. Why watch a bunch of them and ruin all these books for myself? I have always believed that a great book or movie can stand regardless of a few spoilers, but in this case, I want to keep these mysteries as mysteries.

stacy z
04-05-2011, 10:35 AM
I had a sudden craving for an Amazon fix. I ordered a deluxe edition of Kristin Lavransdottir (http://www.amazon.com/Kristin-Lavransdatter-Penguin-Classics-Deluxe/dp/0143039164/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302011762&sr=8-1), a mega-tome that contains all three books. I don't want to wait for PaperbackSwap to have the next two books available, and after reading book one, I've decided that this series is a keeper.

yes! i agree, this series is a keeper! and i have to ask, did you ship The Wreath to someone named vicky in rock island, il?! i have been talking KL up with my friends and she just told me she was getting the first book through paperbackswap! wouldn't that be funny if it was yours? :lol:

i am nearing the end of the third book The Cross. Kristin Lavransdatter has catapaulted to the top of my favorite books list! :glasses: i have loved the transformation that the characters have taken through out each book. they are complex with both good and bad traits. the author takes you on such a journey.

KathleenM
04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
yes! i agree, this series is a keeper! and i have to ask, did you ship The Wreath to someone named vicky in rock island, il?! i have been talking KL up with my friends and she just told me she was getting the first book through paperbackswap! wouldn't that be funny if it was yours? :lol:

Yes! I just checked, and my book is going to your friend! Crazy, small world! I once got a PBS book from Lisa in Al, and it was just a random request, and not a book discussed in this thread.

Elysa Mac
04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
My newest read, which I have just barely started, is Middlemarch, by George Eliot.

I liked this one. There is also a good BBC adaptation of it.

Elysa Mac
04-05-2011, 06:01 PM
My plans changed a bit. My 11 yr old and I are reading Apolo Ohno's book, Zero Regrets. I wasn't planning on reading it, but it has turned into a more in depth study. We have had some very thought provoking discussions thus far!

We love him! I'll have to look and see if our library has it.

Negin
04-06-2011, 05:56 AM
I didn't know that. No wonder her descriptions of Iranian food were so yummy!
Yep. I can taste them in my mind right now. Love, love, love Persian food. :yum: :D

Michelle B.
04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Negin- a bit off topic but what is Persian food?? Do you have a favorite-recipes?? I may have to read the book:)

Elysa Mac
04-06-2011, 10:56 AM
I finished reading HEAVEN IS FOR REAL last night. I read it in about a day which means it is a fast read as I'm not a fast reader. It is a good, comforting book for people who have lost a loved one and know abstractly that they will see them in Heaven one day but need a boost of hope. As a mom, a mom who has miscarried 5 babies, it was especially interesting.

The story is told as a narrative of one family and how they almost lost their preschooler and what they learned about heaven as a result. There are some well-known, well-respected folks who have given their recommendation of this book including Pastor Robert Morris, Sheila Walsh, and the president of Oklahoma Wesleyan University.

I will now start ONE THOUSAND GIFTS which arrived from the library yesterday. I skimmed thru bits and pieces here and am already excited! In fact, I've already started quoting it in my fb status updates!:lol:

stacy z
04-06-2011, 11:27 AM
I will now start ONE THOUSAND GIFTS which arrived from the library yesterday. I skimmed thru bits and pieces here and am already excited! In fact, I've already started quoting it in my fb status updates!:lol:

it is definitely a "quotable" kind of book! there are so many gems in there! :thumb:

JuliaT
04-08-2011, 08:30 AM
I finished "Red Herring Without Mustard" I thought this was even better than the first two in the series. I am now reading "Left Neglected" by Lisa Genova (author of "Still Alice.")

Negin
04-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Negin- a bit off topic but what is Persian food?? Do you have a favorite-recipes?? I may have to read the book:)
Michelle, I don't know where you live. But most medium-to-large cities in the U.S. have nice Persian/Iranian restaurants. If you do go, their kebabs and basmati rice are fabulous. :yum: Lots of other food, of course. But those are the best. Plus, their great appetizers.
This (http://www.amazon.com/Food-Life-Ancient-Persian-Ceremonies/dp/193382347X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302334679&sr=8-1) is my favorite Persian cookbook, and any other books by her. But this is the one we have. I need to get a new copy, however. Long story. ;)
Persian food is not spicy or hot. It's very flavorful. Lots of herbs, etc. Very similar to Greek food - which is 2nd favorite food. :yum:

http://www.sayadmarket.com/product_images/e/353/New_Food_of_Life_Najmieh_Batmanglij__86188_zoom.jp g

Pomegranate Soup (http://www.amazon.com/Pomegranate-Soup-Novel-Marsha-Mehran/dp/0812972481/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302334823&sr=1-1) was a sweet novel about 3 Persian sisters starting a restaurant in a small Irish village. Each chapter begins with a recipe. The author loves to cook and is married to an Irishman.

http://www.abebooks.com/images/books/fiction-kitchen/Pomegranate-Soup.jpg

Most Persian restaurants have an international grocery store right next door or near to them - to stock up on all the ingredients. :)

KathleenM
04-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh Negin - YUM!!! When I lived in Phoenix, a friend and I used to frequent a Middle Eastern grocery. We were foodie wanna-bes! Part of our interest was fueled by a Qatari neighbor who showed us how to cook so many wonderful things. That grocery store featured Persian food as well, and we got addicted to Teheran bread. They also had a small cafe with the best coffee, kabobs, and baklava. My friend and I were pregnant at the same time and we just ate like queens.

Negin
04-09-2011, 01:14 PM
They also had a small cafe with the best coffee, kabobs, and baklava. My friend and I were pregnant at the same time and we just ate like queens.
Stop, stop, stop ... :lol: :yum: :D :yum:

If you're ever in the Irvine or Anaheim areas of So Cal, this (http://www.wholesomechoice.com/) is the place ... absolute heaven. :yum: :yum: :yum:

Elysa Mac
04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Pomegranate Soup (http://www.amazon.com/Pomegranate-Soup-Novel-Marsha-Mehran/dp/0812972481/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302334823&sr=1-1) was a sweet novel about 3 Persian sisters starting a restaurant in a small Irish village. Each chapter begins with a recipe. The author loves to cook and is married to an Irishman.

http://www.abebooks.com/images/books/fiction-kitchen/Pomegranate-Soup.jpg

The cookbook cover is DELISH! And POMEGRANATE SOUP sounds really good.:yes:

Negin
04-10-2011, 03:05 AM
The cookbook cover is DELISH! And POMEGRANATE SOUP sounds really good.:yes:
Elysa, I know it's all so yummy. :yum: :D

Ronette in CA
04-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Stop, stop, stop ... :lol: :yum: :D :yum:

If you're ever in the Irvine or Anaheim areas of So Cal, this (http://www.wholesomechoice.com/) is the place ... absolute heaven. :yum: :yum: :yum:

Get their ads every week.:) I'll be in Irvine this morning for church and border Anaheim. I know exactly where the store is but I've never been there. Going on my to do list soon.;)

Negin
04-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Get their ads every week.:) I'll be in Irvine this morning for church and border Anaheim. I know exactly where the store is but I've never been there. Going on my to do list soon.;)
Ronette, we were there once and loved it, after a very long flight.
The food there is amazing - the choices, oh my.
I wish I could be there with you. We'd have such fun. :D :clap:

Laura F
04-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Pomegranate Soup[/URL][/B] was a sweet novel about 3 Persian sisters starting a restaurant in a small Irish village. Each chapter begins with a recipe. The author loves to cook and is married to an Irishman.

I just found it and put it on hold at the library. Thanks for the suggestion!

Negin
04-11-2011, 03:36 AM
I just found it and put it on hold at the library. Thanks for the suggestion!
Laura, it's not the most amazing story, but it's light and sweet. :)