PDA

View Full Version : Facial cleansing for 12-year-old boy?

Christy
04-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Caleb (turning 12 Saturday) is in need of something for his face. What have you found that works well for keeping their faces clean and helps with breakouts?

Thanks ladies. This is a bit of a new territory for me. Kaity uses Mary Kay, but I don't know what to get for my boy.

Joy in Alabama
04-04-2011, 08:59 AM
My son had bad acne and used MK. It worked great for him and my girls use it, too.

Just a heads up - during the month of April you can become a MK distributor for $50 and get the products for 1/2 price, I understand. We're thinking about doing this because several of the girls use MK makeup and they use the acne products, as well. My distrib. sells it to us for 1/2 price but she has to mail it to us and it would be less trouble for her if we ordered our own.

shonda in ca
04-04-2011, 10:20 AM
My dd likes Proactiv.

WendyW
04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Trader Joe's sells a soap made with tea tree oil that might help. It's not a "girly" soap, and tea tree oil has antiseptic properties that should help control the breakouts. (I bought a bar for my ds almost a year ago and you can still see the logo on it. :eyes: Obviously it would work better if actually used.)

Christy
04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
My son had bad acne and used MK. It worked great for him and my girls use it, too.

Just a heads up - during the month of April you can become a MK distributor for $50 and get the products for 1/2 price, I understand. We're thinking about doing this because several of the girls use MK makeup and they use the acne products, as well. My distrib. sells it to us for 1/2 price but she has to mail it to us and it would be less trouble for her if we ordered our own.

Actually, I am a MK distributor and that's the only reason I signed up as well, for my girls and I to be able to afford it. LOL! What products did your son use?

Christy
04-04-2011, 11:00 AM
My dd likes Proactiv.

I have seriously considered this. Just don't want to sign up on a monthly payment plan type thing. I'm guessing I could buy it outright whenever we needed more, right?

Loree'
04-04-2011, 12:03 PM
My boys just use Clean & Clear in the shower.

CJ
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Our Dr. recommended Sea Breeze. We also have Clean & Clear. If they had serious breakouts, I would get generic Proactive, but we haven't had that problem so far.

Melissa Crabtree
04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
I second that something with tea tree oil would be good. (You can also get tea tree oil on its own and put a drop of it on a wet cotton ball to rub on.) Also colloidal silver does the trick for me when I have breakouts from a food reaction.

Alicia
04-04-2011, 03:33 PM
What is "Clean and Clear" and "Sea Breeze", and where would I buy them?

Shannon P
04-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Our Dr. recommended Sea Breeze.
Wow, haven't heard that name in a while.:cool: I used Sea Breeze as a teen. Alicia, either product would be available at WalMart or a pharmacy. IIRC, the main ingredient in Sea Breeze was alcohol.:unsure:

Joy in Alabama
04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
We use clarifying mask, formula 3. 3 in 1 cleanser. Blemish control, formula 3. Deep cleanser, formula 3. Acne treatment gel. Purifying freshener, formula 2.

Proactiv didn't work for us. :sad:

Before we tried MK, we used tea tree oil and it worked pretty well, but we needed bigger guns. :lol:

Gwen in Texas
04-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Paula Begoun's acne products are better than Proactiv, says our dermatologist. However, if it doesn't work for you in a month, it won't work for you. :unsure:

My girls like Clean and Clear Sensitive Skin cleanser. For some reason, they don't like the MK Formula 3. Both Dave and I use the MK (yes we are middle aged people who still have oily skin).

shonda in ca
04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Christy, you can buy Proactiv at Costco so you don't have to do the monthly thing.
My dd's skin is doing a lot better with the Proactiv but it certainly isn't anything like the commercials. :unsure: She still has some blemishes, and she is very consistant.
She had good luck with the homeopathic stuff called Nature's Cure (I think) but after a few months it stopped working. :unsure: Not a cleanser, though. It is a homeopathic remedy you take orally and benzoil peroxide (topically).
The TJ tea tree product line is good. My dd uses the shampoo and conditioner. It is cheap so that is nice!

Laura Lee
04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
My 13yos started with acne this year and I bought something from Walmart (equate brand) which I think is the same as proactive. The little kit comes with (1) Purifying Cleanser, (2) Rejuvenating Toner and (3) Repairing Lotion which has benzoyl peroxide in it. It's definitely making a big difference, though not completely clear. It's important he washes his face twice a day. When he only washes once a day, you can tell it.

P.S. It only cost around $11.00 if I'm remembering correctly.

JennLove
04-05-2011, 12:40 AM
I have seriously considered this. Just don't want to sign up on a monthly payment plan type thing. I'm guessing I could buy it outright whenever we needed more, right?

Yep, you can just buy more when you need it, or you can try the competing product, "Acne Free" which Costco carries. Still comes in a package of the 3 products together each time you buy, but costs signiificatnly less than ProActive.

BTW, I tried ProActive and wasn't super impressed, but I'm thinking maybe it works differently on your standard youth acne than on adult acne...

Angela Rose
04-05-2011, 07:29 AM
More ideas:

Aveeno sells a facial soap bar. It is not girly, helps with breakouts, will not clear pores (non-comedenogenic), and gentle

My sweet sister has serious acne issues. Her dermotolagist reccomends Cetaphil, both the cleanser and the moisturizer (the perscription dries her skin out). These are also not girly and easy to find.

Negin
04-09-2011, 04:46 AM
We use clarifying mask, formula 3. 3 in 1 cleanser. Blemish control, formula 3. Deep cleanser, formula 3. Acne treatment gel. Purifying freshener, formula 2.
Proactiv didn't work for us. :sad:
Before we tried MK, we used tea tree oil and it worked pretty well, but we needed bigger guns. :lol:
I would consider MK for ds, but he's honestly not the type to go through all those steps. Simple and easy works for him. Dd would go through all those steps. But not ds.
Both dc's breakouts are mostly related to milk and sugar. But even when they don't have milk or sugar, they break out, although much, much less. ]
I would love to find something that works and is easy to use for an 11-year-old boy who's not the most responsible if you KWIM :eek: :unsure:.