PDA

View Full Version : Rosetta Stone Japanese

Rachel Jane
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Does anyone use this?

Opinions?

Karen in TN
04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
My son wasn't very successful with it. It does not come with a workbook and you are just supposed to "pick up" the grammar. If you had someone to go to if you got stuck it might be OK. We were completely on our own and it was bad.

Karen in TN

Kendra AU
04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
No, but Ive been curious. This is a language that would be useful to know in our region. ;) I've been thinking of using something else to tackle it though..

Shannon MI
04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I haven't used Japanese Rosetta Stone, but I am currently studying Japanese, and when I looked into computer-based programs Rosetta Stone wasn't very well reviewed. I ended up purchasing Human Japanese which is under $25 and very good. http://www.amazon.com/Brak-Software-Human-Japanese/dp/0615179088/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301961113&sr=8-2
(I also purchased Irasshai, a DVD based program through Georgia Public Broadcasting, and really like that as well.)

Lindsey Carter
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Someone bought this for us. Dh is halfway through level 2. He says his recommendation would depend on what you want to get out of it. It is good for learning basic conversation, but not good for learning grammar. Dh thinks that you will learn less with Roseta Stone 1-3 than you would learn in Japanese 1 in college. While the program is fun and easy to use, he would expect to learn more considering the high cost.

Rachel Jane
04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I haven't used Japanese Rosetta Stone, but I am currently studying Japanese, and when I looked into computer-based programs Rosetta Stone wasn't very well reviewed. I ended up purchasing Human Japanese which is under $25 and very good. http://www.amazon.com/Brak-Software-Human-Japanese/dp/0615179088/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301961113&sr=8-2
(I also purchased Irasshai, a DVD based program through Georgia Public Broadcasting, and really like that as well.)

Can it be called a first year high school Japanese? What we would go on to?

Shannon MI
04-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Yes, I definitely think it could be considered 1 year of high school Japanese. I was excited to learn that the creators are in the process of developing Intermediate and Advanced versions of the program so that would be something to go on to. The Intermediate version should be out by the end of the summer.

The Irasshai program, which currently has the video series online for free, is considered to br 3 years worth of high school Japanese. http://www.gpb.org/irasshai I ended up paying $110 shipped for the entire DVD set. There are also textbooks and workbooks available for purchase to go along with this program.

Rachel Jane
04-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks, Shannon. We're going to give the first one a go and see how we do.

Shannon MI
04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Cool! Just in case you haven't come across it already, the Human Japanese website offers a free preview (the first lessons) of the software ... It is nice to be able to test it out before purchasing. http://www.humanjapanese.com/features.html
Enjoy! :)

Traci in Japan
04-08-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't have any suggestions for resources, but am available if you get stuck. Send an email to my account and I should see it within a day or so (time difference and I'm not always on everyday). I've been in Japan on and off for over 25 years. My husband and kids are Japanese and I live in an all Japanese speaking environment. (Nowhere near a city!)

Grammar in Japanese is very simple at beginner level. The order is different to English, so it is not simple because it is familiar (like Spanish) but because it is a very regular language. :clap: It is also phonetic and spelling 'rules' are simple in the beginning.

Just my opinion, but you probably need something with voice/video. I tend to find US learners have a hard time hitting the vowel sounds and it is usually pretty easy to pick a US based learner from someone from the UK/OZ/NZ.:lol:

Kendra, I used to teach Japanese in Australian schools. Australia has the second highest rate of Japanese learners in the world after Korea. There are so many texts and resources to be found. Queensland and Victoria tended to have the most available. There are definitely texts out that are aimed at primary aged students.

Again, just my opinion, but if you are serious about learning, then you need to also tackle the written language. Hiragana and katakana should be no problem for a regular high school student. Most kids here learn to read before they start school at 6. (but not my dyslexic son, although the other 2 were fine.) I've taught elementary aged kids to handle them as well.

Kanji is another matter, and it takes time away from progressing on other fronts. It isn't necessary for a beginner, but an understanding of what it is and how it developed is important.

There are also a number of online/facebook/aps around for testing yourself with characters. If you get that far and want some ideas, I'm sure I could look though my bookmarks.

Good luck

Rachel Jane
04-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks Traci! I will pass your offer on to my son who is the one taking Japanese for his high school language. :)