PDA

View Full Version : If you were driving from FL to UT...

molly in cr
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
What sights would be 'must see' along the way?

Dh has been issued a mandatory 60 day vacation. We already have a trip to FL planned and are exploring the option of taking a road trip out to see dh's family in Salt Lake.

This has been a heart's desire of mine since this is probably the last summer dd will be home. The last time we went was 11 years ago.

Also, what are your favorite, most exciting read alouds with a western theme?

Carol Ryan
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM
What is your starting point in FL? There's lots to see and do here! :)

molly in cr
04-05-2011, 11:10 AM
starting in Jacksonville, which I lived in for 30 years before moving to CR. :)

AndreaD
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Not sure your route- but if you are coming through Southern Utah- we have LOVED seeing Zion's NP, Arches NP, and Bryce Canyon. Beautiful area down there. :D

Elysa Mac
04-05-2011, 05:09 PM
If you're coming anywhere new NEW ORLEANS, I'd go!!! This is my favorite American city next to San Antonio.

Loree'
04-05-2011, 08:14 PM
We just did that a yr ago! Which route are you taking?
Because of snowstorms, we adjusted our route midway. AS a result we almost saw 4 corners. It was closed for construction. :sad: Would have been nice if they had posted that little tidbit of information where you turn to make the loop to see it! We did get to stop at Mesa Verde Nat'l Park. :clap: It was great!!!!

Shannon P
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
There's an excellent flight history museum in Pensacola, FL. It's on Eglund AFB, and it's free.

Agreeing with a tour of the canyons in southern UT, maybe to include the Grand Canyon if you haven't been before.

Loree'
04-06-2011, 01:10 AM
There's an excellent flight history museum in Pensacola, FL. It's on Eglund AFB, and it's free.

The National Naval Aviation Museum is at Pensacola NAS. Fabulous!!!
There are several old forts along Gulf Shores National Seashore.

The USS Alabama is in Mobile, AL. Loved it!!

The home the Jefferson Davis retired to is on the Gulf in Mississippi.

The historic stockyards in Ft. Worth

Ft. Sill, OK

molly in cr
04-06-2011, 09:07 AM
We just did that a yr ago! Which route are you taking?
Because of snowstorms, we adjusted our route midway. AS a result we almost saw 4 corners. It was closed for construction. :sad: Would have been nice if they had posted that little tidbit of information where you turn to make the loop to see it! We did get to stop at Mesa Verde Nat'l Park. :clap: It was great!!!!

We would take the southern route. But now dh is rethinking the whole thing. :unsure: I really wanted to do this before dd left home.

Elysa Mac
04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
The National Naval Aviation Museum is at Pensacola NAS. Fabulous!!!

The USS Alabama is in Mobile, AL. Loved it!!

The home the Jefferson Davis retired to is on the Gulf in Mississippi.

We have done all three and agree that they are stop-worthy.:yes:

Has Jefferson Davis' home re-opened? Katrina almost completely wiped it off the map. It was bad. My oldest girls did a Southern Belle camp down there several years ago and had so much fun.

Elysa Mac
04-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I really wanted to do this before dd left home.

I understand. We are taking a big family trip to DC in September for the same reason. It will be our last chance before she moves out in December and then before we know it, two are in college and we'll be moving to Africa.

molly in cr
04-06-2011, 06:27 PM
I understand. We are taking a big family trip to DC in September for the same reason. It will be our last chance before she moves out in December and then before we know it, two are in college and we'll be moving to Africa.

Actually, dh is leaning towards a DC trip for us. Mostly it is because we don't own a car in the States and my mom may let us use hers for a shorter trip. I haven't been to DC since I was 15.

Elysa Mac
04-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Actually, dh is leaning towards a DC trip for us. Mostly it is because we don't own a car in the States and my mom may let us use hers for a shorter trip. I haven't been to DC since I was 15.

You'll have to keep us updated on your plans. We can swap notes on travel/touristy info. :D

Loree'
04-08-2011, 01:58 AM
We have done all three and agree that they are stop-worthy.:yes:

Has Jefferson Davis' home re-opened? Katrina almost completely wiped it off the map. It was bad. My oldest girls did a Southern Belle camp down there several years ago and had so much fun.

Yes, it reopened last year.

Oh, Southern Belle camp would be sooooo much fun!!!!!!!

Stacia
04-08-2011, 10:13 AM

Not sure of your route, but I agree w/ seeing Mesa Verde (http://www.nps.gov/meve/index.htm). Just an amazing place, imo.

Four Corners is not worth the stop, imo.

If you're near Mesa Verde, you may also want to see if Hovenweep (http://www.nps.gov/hove/index.htm) is along your route. Very neat location.

What about Monument Valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Valley)?