PDA

View Full Version : Activities to go along with Little House on the Prairie books?

Melanie
04-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Ds and I just finished The Little House on the Prairie and we are LOVING this series! Last night, we stayed up later because we both wanted to see how the book was going to end (I never read them as a child...although the TV show was always a favorite).

I would like to find some fun activities that we could do to go along with these books. I'm not really looking for "lesson plans" or worksheets, but instead hands-on activities. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I even thought about maybe holding off until summer and doing a Little House Adventure Box. Not sure though.

Anyway, I would love to hear all of your wonderful ideas about how my kiddos and I could experience life on the prairie right along with Laura and her family. Thanks!

WendyW
04-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Prairie Primer, which is a unit study for the Little House books. It has lots of hands-on stuff.

Our library has several craft/activity books to go with Little House.

Google "pioneer crafts" and you're sure to get a bunch of hits.

Rachael
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
We did a Little House book club. It was so much fun!

We used this free guide: http://files.harpercollins.com/PDF/TeachingGuides/0064400050.pdf

And we also used this book: http://www.amazon.com/World-Little-House-Carolyn-Collins/dp/0060244224/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302193140&sr=8-9

Enjoy! I just love the sweetness of these books. :)

I just looked at the preview they have on amazon for that book. It doesn't do it justice at all! Each book has recipes and crafts or games that are mentioned in the books. For one book, we made clove apples. We played hide the thimble. We pulled molasses. We made mini-patchwork quilts. I wish amazon had a better preview; all they show is the boring junk in the front of the book.

shonda in ca
04-07-2011, 11:40 AM
We made homemade butter (shake in a jar) and a clove apple when we read these for the first time. My kids made Lincoln Log cabins and played out the stories. My dd made a rag doll and all the kids made corn husk dolls. We sewed little quilt squares and also made scrapbook paper quilt squares. (That was cool!) They strung beads like the ones Mary and Laura made Carrie.
We have a cook book with recipes that they talked about in the books.
We have this book and it's good: http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-House-Crafts-Book/dp/0064462048/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302194265&sr=1-1
Fun stuff!

Melanie
04-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Google "pioneer crafts" and you're sure to get a bunch of hits.

Good idea! :)

And we also used this book: http://www.amazon.com/World-Little-House-Carolyn-Collins/dp/0060244224/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1302193140&sr=8-9

Enjoy! I just love the sweetness of these books. :)

I just looked at the preview they have on amazon for that book. It doesn't do it justice at all! Each book has recipes and crafts or games that are mentioned in the books. For one book, we made clove apples. We played hide the thimble. We pulled molasses. We made mini-patchwork quilts. I wish amazon had a better preview; all they show is the boring junk in the front of the book.

My library doesn't have that book, but I found it used on Amazon for cheap. I think I may get it! The activities you listed sound great. :)

We made homemade butter (shake in a jar) and a clove apple when we read these for the first time. My kids made Lincoln Log cabins and played out the stories. My dd made a rag doll and all the kids made corn husk dolls. We sewed little quilt squares and also made scrapbook paper quilt squares. (That was cool!) They strung beads like the ones Mary and Laura made Carrie.
We have a cook book with recipes that they talked about in the books.
We have this book and it's good: http://www.amazon.com/My-Little-House-Crafts-Book/dp/0064462048/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302194265&sr=1-1
Fun stuff!

My library DOES have these books and I have them on reserve. Thanks for the suggestion! :D

Can you tell me more about the quilting? Did you do it by hand? My ds has shown some interest in sewing and I think this might be fun (although I don't have a sewing machine).

Any other suggestions?

shalomew
04-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Melanie-

I have a huge page of ideas and things for Little House. It is not formatted as I haven't done the books with my DD yet. Just things I got from postings on Lapbook yahoo group and other ideas I have seen. Books, websites and ideas etc...

I can copy and past it to you if you want. PM me and I will get it to you.

Melanie
04-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Melanie-

I have a huge page of ideas and things for Little House. It is not formatted as I haven't done the books with my DD yet. Just things I got from postings on Lapbook yahoo group and other ideas I have seen. Books, websites and ideas etc...

I can copy and past it to you if you want. PM me and I will get it to you.

PM sent! Thanks so much. :)

KarenF
04-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Great thread and so excited our library has both of those books! Thanks, ladies!

Shelly L
04-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I haven't had time to look up links, so forgive me if this was already mentioned. A couple weeks ago I bought "Little House in the Classroom; a guide to using the Laura Ingalls Wilder books", by Christine Olivieri Hackett, published by Good Apple, Inc. of Carthage, IL

shonda in ca
04-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Can you tell me more about the quilting? Did you do it by hand? My ds has shown some interest in sewing and I think this might be fun (although I don't have a sewing machine).

Yes, by hand. We have some fabric squares (small, like 3 by 3) that we cut into triangles, arranged into patterns and sewed up! Easy, peasy! Don't stress about big or crooked stitches. It's all good and the process, not the product is what's important. :)

Kat in Co
04-09-2011, 03:46 PM
This is late, but hopefully still helpful. I couldn't get to it until just this minute. I hope its not a repeat of what others have offered.
The Little House Cookbook -Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories by Barbara M Walker, Illustrations by Garth Williams
and
Laura Ingals Wilder Activities Based on Research from the Laura Ingalls Wilder Homes and Museums by Laurie Rozakis.
I was very pleased to get these for free at a hs swap last year. We have done a couple things from these books, and are looking forward to doing more this summer.
Sounds like your family enjoys LIW as much as we do!