PDA

View Full Version : Chapter books for younger reader

BethInOK
04-07-2011, 11:56 AM
My oldest DD (6 1/2) is starting to get into chapter books. She loves reading Junie B. Jones, but we've had to take those away. She started copying the character with lots of "dumb", "baldie head", "stupid" and sassy talk. I'm trying to find some chapter books she can read that would be more appropriate. She loves mysteries, anything girly, etc. I've found she can read older chapter books but I'd rather keep it at or below her level. The first chapter book she tried on her own was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. She reads it well, but I think it was a little too hard for her.

Angela Rose
04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Hi Beth,
My little girl likes:
Magic Tree House books (some may not be appropriate)
Flat Stanley
American Girl
Magic School Bus Chapter Books

Looking forward to reading what others suggest as well

molly in cr
04-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Lighthouse series by Rylant (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rylant+lighthouse&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arylant+lighthouse&ajr=3)
Cobble Street Cousins also by Rylant (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=cynthia+rylant&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=cynthia+rylant+cobble&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Acynthia+rylant+cobble)
Basil series by Titus (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=basil&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=basil+titus&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abasil+titus)
Books by Dick King-Smith (author of Babe) (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dick+king-smith&x=14&y=19)
The Littles series (http://www.amazon.com/Littles-John-Peterson/dp/0590462253/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302197797&sr=8-1)
Magic Treehouse
Ramona books by Cleary (http://www.amazon.com/Ramona-Pest-Quimby-Pb/dp/0812422732/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302197950&sr=1-5)

Jen in OK
04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Ooh! I'm glad to see this list!

We picked up some Jigsaw Jones mysteries at the used bookstore this morning. I have not read through any yet, but they look promising!

Paige P
04-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Agreeing with the others and adding:

* any of the Beverly Cleary Books :thumb:
* Cam Jansen
* A to Z Mysteries -- dd1 LOVED these
* Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew (a very young Nancy Drew)
* similarly is the Hardy Boys Secret Files
* dd2 has loved the Fairy Books by Daisy Meadows -- "fluff," but it got her reading and loving to read :)
* Judy Moody books (funny!)
* Clementine series (funny)
* the Boxcar Children series
* The Courage of Sarah Noble -- great, great, great book
* Encyclopedia Brown books

Jen in OK
04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Agreeing with the others and adding:

* any of the Beverly Cleary Books :thumb:
* Cam Jansen
* A to Z Mysteries -- dd1 LOVED these
* Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew (a very young Nancy Drew)
* similarly is the Hardy Boys Secret Files
* dd2 has loved the Fairy Books by Daisy Meadows -- "fluff," but it got her reading and loving to read :)
* Judy Moody books (funny!)
* Clementine series (funny)
* the Boxcar Children series
* The Courage of Sarah Noble -- great, great, great book
* Encyclopedia Brown books

We have LOVED the A to Z series here. There is also a Calendar Mystery series and a series set in Washington DC by the same author. :clap:

BethInOK
04-07-2011, 05:37 PM
:clap::D:hop::group:
I knew you all would have some suggestions!!

Can't wait to see what she thinks of all these. Hmm.. time to hit the library's reserve site!

Kendra AU
04-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Beth.. I just heard tell that Adventures In Odyssey have books out now similar to Magic Treehouse but with more of a Christian theme. I'm hoping to pick a few up for my 7 year old for Easter, but so far I haven't found them locally.

There's also:

A to Z mysteries {been ages since I've read one of these, I picked some up for a little boy the Christmas we left America, so...}
Cul-de-Sac Kids (another Christian themed books)
Rachel Yoder {never read these, but they look so good.. I couldn't convince my boys to take this over the comic Bible :lol: }
Young Nancy Drew Series {we've read a couple of them, the one we read didn't have name calling or bad attitude in it}
Barkley's School For Dogs {we just picked some of these up at our library this week, small like MT books, but I can't say much about content yet.. On quick glance through they were okay}
Polk Street Kids {I use to read those as a kid, and owned them all :lol: It's been a long time since I've read them, but Mom was pretty picky about what we were allowed to read as kids..}

Rebecca in Orlando
04-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I second the Cul-de-sac Kids! Those were the first chapter books my middle dd couldn't put down, They are short and sweet. Love them!

Gwen in Texas
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
My kids enjoyed the 26 Fairmount Avenue books by Tomie de Paola. I see there are new ones, but I've never read those. I can vouch for 1-4.

Jen in OK
05-06-2011, 07:29 AM
My kids enjoyed the 26 Fairmount Avenue books by Tomie de Paola. I see there are new ones, but I've never read those. I can vouch for 1-4.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recommendation! We had the first one and I had forgotten. We checked out 2-5 yesterday and ds finished 2 last night and woke me up this morning to tell me he was starting 3! :clap:

BethInOK
06-08-2011, 09:20 AM
I thought I'd add to this. We just found a new series that Cora loves. Its from Usborne and its called Jack Russell: Dog Detective.

Stacia
06-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Mrs. Piggle Wiggle
Pippi Longstocking
Wishbone

Julie in AZ
06-08-2011, 09:54 AM
My ds loved the Lighthouse series by Rylant too!

Jenny B
06-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Great to see other titles to check on!!!

Like others have mentioned, we have liked...

Cul-du-Sac Kids---very easy reading chapter books and very fun.

At the library we will go through the "reader" section and find some very fun "readers."

Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew

My children have also especially liked to check out non-fiction books on a topic they are really interested in at the library. They aren't chapters per se, but gets them reading along things that are very interesting to them, ie, dogs, ocean animals, cats, insects, tigers, wolves...etc