PDA

View Full Version : How do other bre@stfeeding moms do it?

Tahnee
04-07-2011, 01:23 PM
I feel like a first time mom bc it's been so long since my dd was born. Things are much better than the last time I posted, but I'm wondering now how other moms do it.

Ds (10 weeks) is bre@stfed on demand. I'd love, love, love to put him on a schedule but I'm not willing to let him "cry it out" to do so. My older kids have activities and so we are going places a few times a week, sometimes getting home after 9 pm. He gets fussy, wants to eat, screams at times, can't get a nap. I take a bottle of formula bc I'm not able to pump enough. There isn't always a comfortable place to bf. How do other bfing moms do it? Sometimes he is still wanting ot nurse and it's time to leave the house. Also, how do you get your baby to take naps when your not home? I wish I could be home for a few weeks with nothing to do to get him on a more stable routine, but that's not going to happen. We even have a trip planned to go see dh's mom in 1 1/2 weeks.

Can you give me some very practical advice?

Colleen OH
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I feel like a first time mom bc it's been so long since my dd was born. Things are much better than the last time I posted, but I'm wondering now how other moms do it.

Ds (10 weeks) is bre@stfed on demand. I'd love, love, love to put him on a schedule but I'm not willing to let him "cry it out" to do so. My older kids have activities and so we are going places a few times a week, sometimes getting home after 9 pm. He gets fussy, wants to eat, screams at times, can't get a nap. I take a bottle of formula bc I'm not able to pump enough. There isn't always a comfortable place to bf. How do other bfing moms do it? Sometimes he is still wanting ot nurse and it's time to leave the house. Also, how do you get your baby to take naps when your not home? I wish I could be home for a few weeks with nothing to do to get him on a more stable routine, but that's not going to happen. We even have a trip planned to go see dh's mom in 1 1/2 weeks.

Can you give me some very practical advice?
Whoa, Tahnee, slow down!! I've nursed all my dc but seriously I couldn't have swung the social load you're talking about and done it very well.

I never did put any of mine on a schedule. They all nursed on demand and slept on demand. I learned to do quite a few things while nursing and I stopped worrying about nursing in public. I'm discreet. Beyond that other people have to just realize it's ok and normal to breast feed babies.

BethInOK
04-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Oh, goodness. That sounds exhausting!!

I would definitely suggest doing everything you can to get comfortable nursing in public. A nursing tank top went a long way for me. It didn't feel so exposed if my tummy wasn't hanging out for all to see! My kids were never really on a schedule, more a routine. If its been a couple of hours since he nursed, and you think he's likely to want to nurse again right around time to leave, you could either offer early, or plan to leave early enough to nurse once you get there.

For both nursing & sleeping, you might want to try a sling. Practice getting him latched at home, and then you can nurse almost anywhere! I made one after my oldest was born, and it was a life saver (especially for my middlest, she wouldn't nap anywhere else!)

The only other suggestion I can think of is to prioritize. My youngest was never a good napper if not in his own bed, so I make major effort to be at home for nap time and bed time. The only exceptions are Wednesday night church & my oldest's homeschool choir. We pass up on somethings and find ways for other things. My kids are bears without naps and so that's a big priority, even with the amount of grief I get (mostly from my family) for making sure my kids get good sleep.

Alice R
04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
I cut out all activities that were not really crucial or a total favorite. I don't think you can really get home after 9pm unless it's really really important. It's too hard on the mother and baby. Is there another way?

I toted Rebekah around with us. I fed her at all the places we went. I am the WORST discreet breastfeeder...there is always a bre@st flopping around and milk leaking and it's really a show. I'm trying to cover up, milk is spraying, my bra is tangled, the baby is pulling my hair. :roflol: I've breastfed all my kids for extended times so I'm not a newbie but I just have such a hard time with keeping things neat and covered. I really think the entire state of NY saw my bre@sts at one point or another.

You know what saved me? I told whichever child was available to hold up a blanket in front of me and cover me. I could nurse in peace and I think the baby sensed that I was peacful and nursed calmly and then got off. :lol: MUCH EASIER to simply have someone else cover you up. All those years my husband watched me struggle and he never knew how to help. I saw a family in Walmart nursing with the older daughter holding up a blanket and I was like "THAT'S IT!!!!!!!" :eek: :eek: :eek: It really makes all the difference.

You can also get a tank to go under your shirt and it has little flaps or something so your whole stomach is covered...(you put your bra under the tank).

None of my kids were on a schedule...they slept when tired and ate when hungry. They often feel asleep in the car driving somewhere.

I also tried to do as many "drop offs" as possible and wait in the car with baby. I'd grab another mom and have them walk Alise into ballet and walk her out when she was done. I like to see her dance but it is what it is. ;)

It is very hard and you have to give yourself the patience you'd extend to everyone else. We are all so hard on ourselves!

Esther-Alabama
04-07-2011, 02:36 PM
I had my last child when my oldest was 8. I stopped ALL outside activities until she was 6 months old. And we weren't really doing all that much.

We went to church on Sundays and scouts on Sunday afternoons. And that was IT! I asked other moms to help with get my oldest to scouts when DH couldn't take him.

It gets a lot easier when the baby is six months old.

Jekka Renee
04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
The best thing for me was a wrap - like a moby wrap - all of my babies slept in it, nursed in it, etc. I just wear my baby wherever we go for the first 6 months or so. It's easy to nurse wearing a wrap, and no one can really see that they are nursing, because the wrap keeps them, and you covered. I also have a nursing cover that I can throw on over the wrap if I'm wearing something a bit less concealing. I've fed all my babies while walking around zoos, stores, library storytimes, etc. Once you get used to it, it's so easy to do. And all of my babies loved falling asleep while snuggled up next to me in them.

I've never had a schedule for my babies, and I've never bothered to come home early for them - they all did really well with our non-schedule right away.

ETA: I've heard great things about the Baby K'tan (http://www.babyktan.com/) carrier. It's like a wrap, but it's super easy to take on/ off. The one downfall of the wrap is that it's a pain to get on/ off until you're really used to it.

CJ
04-07-2011, 05:23 PM
It was my 5th and last that pushed me into the crazy zone. I cut back on all activities for 12months and we unschooled that year in school. My kids were all a year ahead anyway so now we're where ps would expect us to be.

If I had to go somewhere, I used the car for nursing a lot, a chair facing a wall or corner, kids holding up a blanket, and I laid down with my baby for napping - the other kids would seista with books, PBS or music. My dh took over grocery shopping for me, too.

It was crazy while it lasted, but it's long over now and I'm happy we got thru it and kept the baby the priority. He is a fabulous 6yo now and all of us enjoy and love him very much.

Alice R
04-07-2011, 05:40 PM
God Willing, if this baby survives, I will be bugging your for wrap info.

I've had baby carriers and one wrap. The all hurt my bre@sts or my back.

TinaM
04-07-2011, 09:02 PM
I cut down activities and used a sling. It was my lifesaver! He napped pretty much all the time in there. Can you go back to your car and nurse him, when you're at an activity? Get a good coverup as well. At 10wks, they still need to bf on demand. Can you save the last half hour before you go out for nursing the baby? Or like someone else said, drop off the kiddos and stay in the car and nurse the baby? I do that still and mine is 8mo. It's just easier when you have more privacy.

As for napping during the day, ds naps wherever. He never naps in a bedroom now. He just naps on the couch while we're around making our normal noise. So far, he can sleep through it. In fact, when i do put him in a quiet room, he wakes up much sooner than if he were around us. I dont do scheduled naps. It's too much work for me. lol

Robin(CA)
04-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Obviously with our life this past year, staying home has not been an option since we hardly have had a place to call home. ;)

I nurse on demand and wear the baby in a woven wrap. I had slings with the boys and the wrap is so much more comfortable for me because the weight is distributed across both shoulders and my hips. Wrapping has changed my life.

Baby will sleep in the wrap, wake up, go back to sleep, etc. Everyone is happy. I don't usually use a cover to nurse and I just nurse wherever we are. It's a little trickier here because we're not in the US and there are other cultural issues that come into play, but so far we've been able to make it work. I don't do bottles or pump because that is more work and hassle for me.

There is also nothing wrong with doing less. If that's an option, take it. But there are ways to make it work even if you're running around like a crazy person or moving 1/2 way around the world. :lol:

Susan in Kentucky
04-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I wore nursing shirts all the time. Ones like these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Nursing-breastfeeding-scoop-neck-t-shirt-top-blue-S-NEW-/140531867810?pt=US_CSA_WC_Shirts_Tops&hash=item20b85a20a2#ht_500wt_1156) that have the two panels made it really easy in public to be discreet.

Praying you find a solution that works for all of you.:group:

MelissaSS
04-08-2011, 10:05 AM
:group: Doing less hasn't been an option for me for the most part. Sophia has speech four times a week, we have church and LifeGroup on Sunday's, church on Wednesday's, and Makaylah has soccer twice a week. Soccer I did skip for the most part, because of not wanting the baby to be in the cold, and my dh took her. Oh, and homeschool co-op on Thursdays :crazy:

I nurse wherever we are. He does take a paci, and that helps pacify him if he isn't really hungry. I'm aalso fortunate in that right now he mostly just sleeps when we are out. I try to find time to feed him before we leave, but sometimes we are a few minutes late, or he has to wait the 10 or 15 minutes for us to get where we are going before he can eat. I use a nursing cover with him. He's my first to do that with, but he tends to pop off a lot while nursing, so it does make it easier. If you are worried about nursing in public, I would definitely get one! http://www.bebeaulait.com/bebe-au-laitv.php?gclid=CLyA26yLjagCFdI32godRF6WCQ