PDA

View Full Version : So I have to know...about humidity and being cold

Sheri
04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I can ALWAYS tell when the humidity starts because 1.) my bad foot gets 100X worse and 2.) no matter how hot it is, no matter how muggy I am chilled to the bone if I am inside or if it's the evening.

My husband says I am crazy and there is something wrong with me when he finds me with a blanket over my legs when it's really humid.

Rachel Jane
04-08-2011, 02:47 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_phenomenon

Sheri
04-08-2011, 03:11 PM
But am I missing that it's caused by humidity or even pressure changes? I didn't see that.

I always just assumed it's the way my body reacted to humidity.

Rachel Jane
04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
But am I missing that it's caused by humidity or even pressure changes? I didn't see that.

I always just assumed it's the way my body reacted to humidity.

My body is so quirky that I just assume it is going to respond in some way that is out of the norm. :lol: I have Reynauds...I started taking 5htp for migraines and I rarely have Reynauds symptoms any longer. I haven't found anyone else with this side effect, but I am thrilled not to have blue fingertips or the chilled until there is pain in my back feeling. The quirkiness worked in my favor this time.

Sheri
04-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh okay...I get the chills and then throbbing back pain. Oh my gosh it hurts SO much, right through my right shoulder blade.

I have been going to add 5HTP to my day anyway, maybe it will help.

So you do the same thing? Get cold when you logically shouldn't be?

Rachel Jane
04-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Oh okay...I get the chills and then throbbing back pain. Oh my gosh it hurts SO much, right through my right shoulder blade.

I have been going to add 5HTP to my day anyway, maybe it will help.

So you do the same thing? Get cold when you logically shouldn't be?

yup. And have for as far back as I can remember. Once chilled until it is painful, I do not get warm again unless I take a hot shower.
Source naturals is the brand that worked for me when another brand did not. Make sure there are no contraindications with other meds you may be taking.

Sheri
04-08-2011, 03:47 PM
I will. That is EXACTLY me. I always just figured my body hated humidity. But when the back aches get that bad from the cold I am the same way I can ONLY get warm in a hot shower and then I have to make sure I stay super bundled. Crazy in July in Oklahoma to be wearing a hoodie everywhere.

VERY interesting. Thanks Rachel!

shonda in ca
04-09-2011, 12:12 AM
From the Wiki article RJ linked to: 3.These events are episodic, and when the episode subsides or the area is warmed, the blood flow returns and the skin colour first turns red (rubor), and then back to normal, often accompanied by swelling, tingling, and a painful "pins and needles" sensation.

Is this not normal? Does this not happen to everyone? I have had this my entire life. Sometimes the redness, itching and "pins and needles" feeling is so bad I have to put my feet or hands in cold water.

Interesting things we learn here at Fiar! :lol:

Anjie in PA
04-09-2011, 12:37 AM
:group: I have Raynaud's, too ... tons of fun! It's worst for me in my toes and fingers, but if I get chilled enough (way quicker than most people!) the only way to get warm is in the shower or tub. Under about 70, I'm usually chilly, and my feet are cold. Lately I've been having a new (to me) experience: only one finger will get cold and white. Crazy!

You can find some good info at http://www.raynauds.org/. I signed up for their email newsletter and have gotten some great tips from it.