PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Atlanta (Cobb County) folks -- 13 of 17 libraries may CLOSE by end of month

Stacia
04-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I hope this is ok to post here....

I know this will be for just a very specific group of folks on this board, but I want to spread the word as soon as possible. We use & rely on the library a lot, esp. w/ homeschooling & I know this will concern some of you too...

Cobb County is considering CLOSING 13 (of 17 total) LIBRARIES as soon as April 30!!!! (To put it in perspective, if you check out a book tomorrow [Sat.], it will be due on April 30 the day the library may close forever.)

Please, please, please CALL & EMAIL Bob Ott ASAP:
770-528-3316
bob.ott@cobbcounty.org

Please copy the budget committee with your concerns:
BudgetComments@cobbcounty.org

A little additional info is here:
http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/27294521/detail.html

Supposedly there will be an open mic at the BOC Regular Meeting @ 9am on Tuesday the 12th:
http://www.cobbcountyga.gov/calendar/calendar.php?type=month&calendar=02

If you are interested in saving your Cobb County libraries, please make your voice heard before Tuesday. Also, please spread the word among your friends & neighbors.

Thanks!

Kendall in GA
04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Got it! I just learned about the proposed cuts earlier today. It's my understanding that there is a proposal to cut all funding to the parks & rec department. :eek:

Thanks for spreading the word!...There are a couple of others in Cobb.

Tracey
04-08-2011, 09:20 PM
That is terrible! :unsure:

Angela Rose
04-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Wow! We just moved from Cobb in November. I have a lot of Mom-friends still there, I will spread the word.

laurie in ok
04-08-2011, 10:43 PM
:sad::sad:

Kat in Co
04-09-2011, 12:57 AM
:sad: I dont even live there and I'm still sad and mad too. It is always bad to close the doors to learning. What on earth can they be thinking? I do hope they can stop this from happening! Have they extended every effort to cut elsewhere, explored every avenue which might result in a grant or a gift?

Kendra AU
04-09-2011, 02:06 AM
Kendall, from what I understand parks are closing everywhere if they are govt. funded due to cut backs.

You guys should band together and purchase the library! ;) You'd have a HUGE library!!

Negin
04-09-2011, 05:08 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

CindyJ
04-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Wow.... I used to live in Cobb...I cannot believe there are 17 libraries in one county! Our libraries have been closing earlier, and opening later, etc. I hope they can find another alternative.

Kendall in GA
04-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Our libraries have been closing earlier, and opening later, etc. I hope they can find another alternative.

Yes, ours have adjusted their hours and cut back on services, too...I've adjusted and made do...Life goes on.

I'm hoping for a better alternative to the proposed 13 closures, especially b/c our county has a fabulous system. Yes, it's disappointing that services will have to be cut; but, I understand the realities of operating with reduced income and am prepared for a further reduction of services. I don't whine over budget cuts. (In my former life, I used to work for an organization that received the majority of its funding from the federal government. I know what it's like to almost not have a job...BTDT!) My only hope is that as many options as possible be considered so that the most number of services & facilities can be maintained....We shall see!

(Btw, besides being a regular library patron, we especially have a "vested" interest in the parks & rec department. My ds takes weekly guitar lessons at our neighborhood parks & rec facility and my dd is on the soccer field 3-4x/week. Even though her club team has its own fields, it doesn't have enough to accommodate all of the teams (rec & club); hence, it utilizes one of the County's parks. Closing the parks & rec facilities we use will have a major impact on our family...We'll have to wait and see what happens!)

Michelle B.
04-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Wow!