PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D for kids ~ dosage question

Katie
04-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Hey girls ~

I've googled a bit, and it looks like 400 international units of vitamin D is recommended for kids.

Do any of you give your kids vitamin D and, if so, what dosage?

Thanks!

(Joel takes vitamin D every day and, when he gets a cold, it usually only lasts a day or two.)

Cara in WA
04-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I just looked on the bottle of my kids' chewable multivitamins, and it says that one tablet has 400 iu of Vitamin D, which is 100% of the daily dose. The current bottle of vitamins that we're on is just the Wal-Mart brand. I have been doing some reading about food dyes, though and they do contain coloring. The next bottle I buy I'm going to make a point to see that there are not any food dyes in the chewables.

I will say that we started the kids on these chewables in October, and we've made it through winter and flu season without anything worse than the sniffles here and there!

Vickie/NC
04-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Our family started them last fall. That in addition to our other vitamin regiment, the bad stuff stayed away and has done the same this year. I purchased the Carlson baby drops and everyone puts it in their water or juice. One drop is 400 IUs. Trent gets 2 drops and Holland 3 drops. I think I shake 4 or 5 in my water.

HTH,

April Marie
04-09-2011, 12:04 PM
we ALL take vitamin d in our house
(almost mandatory in the dreary pacific northwest!)

and, like cara said, we've all had a healthy winter
(just dealing with allergies - but no cold or flu)

Gitel in nj
04-09-2011, 12:05 PM
How old are your children, how much do they weigh?

I personally think 400IU is a paltry amount for any human being older than about 3-4--I would not hesitate to give a child 1000 or a teen 2000 IU. I have given my (15) son 10,000 IU when he feels like he is getting sick, tapering down every few days by 2000 until he reaches 4000 where I let him sit for awhile. Then down to 2000. The human body can make 10,000 IU of Vitamin D in 30 minutes of sun exposure. Children included. This is how our bodies have evolved (were created).. How can 400 IU make any difference in your health what-so-ever?

I myself take 6000 IU per day (sometimes 8000)--I am not exactly small but I am not large either--shorter but a bit heavier than DS. I just had my blood work done and my Vitamin D level is 47.6 :clap: up from 23. I will continue this regime until my levels are at least 60-70.

Again, just think about how the human body processes Vitamin D..Taking larger than 400 IU is not something to be afraid of...

Cara in WA
04-09-2011, 02:00 PM
The human body can make 10,000 IU of Vitamin D in 30 minutes of sun exposure. Children included.

:yes: That is what my doctor said, too, and she recommended 6,000 iu for me daily. :yes:

I think *some* vitamins and supplements can be dangerous to get too much of, but Vitamin D is not one of them.

Gitel in nj
04-09-2011, 07:06 PM
:yes: That is what my doctor said, too, and she recommended 6,000 iu for me daily. :yes:

I think *some* vitamins and supplements can be dangerous to get too much of, but Vitamin D is not one of them.

:clap: for your Doctor..Mine was a bit :eek: when I told her how much I took. Apparently, I have researched this more than she has and have way more knowledge on Vitamin D :unsure:

BTW Cara, there are Vitamin D drops that you can give your children--I think Vickie mentioned them. Here (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=vitamin+d+drops&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2026477588490273473&sa=X&ei=HPSgTc7HAua_0QHIrvXsBg&ved=0CDsQ8gIwAQ#) is one by Carlson which has 1000 IU per drop. Carlson is an excellent supplement company.

CJ
04-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Me and the kids that are double digits take 5,000. If we feel a scratchy throat or a germ coming on, we take 10,000 3x a day for a day. Guess what? Our symptoms go away.

The single digit kids take 3,000 a day.

We started this when H1N1 became a big problem a couple years ago and I read articles about the benefits of D3.

We have only been sick 2-3 times in the last 2 years, and the germ that does take hold seems to only cause about 20% of the misery that our friends around us experience.

Amazing...
:D

Gitel in nj
04-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Me and the kids that are double digits take 5,000. If we feel a scratchy throat or a germ coming on, we take 10,000 3x a day for a day. Guess what? Our symptoms go away.

We started this when H1N1 became a big problem a couple years ago and I read articles about the benefits of D3.

We have only been sick 2-3 times in the last 2 years, and the germ that does take hold seems to only cause about 20% of the misery that our friends around us experience.

Amazing...

:clap:

This is EXACTLY what we have found. Either we never get what was attempting to make us sick or it is so mild that it is barely there and lasts for (maybe) a day--and it is gone.

Alice
04-10-2011, 03:14 PM
You can in fact have too much Vitamin D, along with A, E and K it is a fat soluble vitamin (store for longer, more difficult to eliminate and easier to overdose on).

I'm not arguing that the dose mentioned here are toxic, just that in fact it is quite possible to overdose and take toxic amounts.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d-toxicity/AN02008

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html

Gitel in nj
04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
You can in fact have too much Vitamin D, along with A, E and K it is a fat soluble vitamin (store for longer, more difficult to eliminate and easier to overdose on).

I'm not arguing that the dose mentioned here are toxic, just that in fact it is quite possible to overdose and take toxic amounts.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d-toxicity/AN02008

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html

Not to argue with a doctor, since I am mearly a wanna-be nutritionist :lol: but while it is possible to overdose on Vitamin D (I have no real knowledge about the other vitamins) you really have to take a LOT--for a long period of time.

Here (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/treatment.shtml) is an article from the Vitamin D council about their recommendation for vitamin D dosages, if you scroll down it talks about children, and here (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml) is one on toxicity.

Truthfully, I think the best and safest answer to all of this is to have your children's and your own 25(OH)D levels checked. Try to get them in the range of 50 or so and then just take enough to maintain that. In the summer you may need to take less--in the winter (depending upon locale and skin color) you may need to take more...

Alice
04-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Not to argue with a doctor, since I am mearly a wanna-be nutritionist :lol: but while it is possible to overdose on Vitamin D (I have no real knowledge about the other vitamins) you really have to take a LOT--for a long period of time.

I think that's true, it's unlikely people will overdose even taking megadoses. However, I just wanted to correct the statement that Vitamin D is a vitamin that can't be toxic or you can't have too much of.

I did have a patient who had a weird side effect that we traced back to megadoses of vitamins her Dad was giving her. I won't give the specifics for HIPAA reasons but he was giving them just trying to be a good parent. It was megadoses recommended on multiple nutrition websites. I think in her case it was the Vit. A that was the issue. Her sibs were fine and her issue resolved when we stopped the vitamins. Just to say , it can happen, although in most cases it doesn't.

CJ
04-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Alice, of course, is right. There is the odd person that gets into trouble. And that's one reason I should share that I'm not rigid about this daily D3. They probably end up taking it consistently 5x a week in the winter and/or cloudy weather which we have very often here in Oregon at the 45th parallel.

In the summer, I only do it once a week or so and also if they feel something coming on.

Gitel in nj
04-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Alice, of course, is right. There is the odd person that gets into trouble.

:yes:

JennLove
04-10-2011, 11:33 PM
The thing I find most interesting about the Vitamin D issue right now is that though there is now a recommendation for how much adults should take (that keeps going up, btw), there is still no recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics for how much children should take (or at leaast there wasn't in January when I had my dd in for her checkup.) Would be nice to hear something from them, since I now hear at every dr appt I have for me how important it is to add this for adults!

Negin
04-11-2011, 03:05 AM
I personally think 400IU is a paltry amount for any human being older than about 3-4--I would not hesitate to give a child 1000 or a teen 2000 IU. I have given my (15) son 10,000 IU when he feels like he is getting sick, tapering down every few days by 2000 until he reaches 4000 where I let him sit for awhile. Then down to 2000.
Again, just think about how the human body processes Vitamin D..Taking larger than 400 IU is not something to be afraid of...
Gitel, as always, I fully agree. Love your knowledge and wisdom. :clap: :kiss:

Apparently, I have researched this more than she has and have way more knowledge on Vitamin D
I have yet to meet a doctor who knows much about nutrition. With all due respect, when it comes to prevention and all-around nutrition, most doctors I have seen are not really that knowledgeable. Oftentimes, I really feel that I know more than they do. I have been reading and continue to read for far more years than they do. I'm constantly learning and reading. Medical school barely covers nutrition and prevention.
All that to say, I do believe in doctors and meds for when the condition is serious, for blood work, flu shots (although oftentimes they do not work!), vaccines, infections, or when natural remedies have not worked after at least a few months, etc. And I love them for that. Allopathic medicine certainly has its place. :)
But generally, I prefer to first seek the advice of an integrative physician, one who is open-minded, who believes in alternative practices; or naturopaths, - one who listens, etc.

:clap: Great advice. We all hardly ever get sick since taking D3.

My dc take 2000 IU most days of the week. When something is coming on, which is very rare, they take 4000 or even 6000 IU. Plus, we live in the tropics. Ds hardly ever gets sick anymore. :clap:

This is what I have read:
Don't be concerned that 2,000-5,000 IU will give you too much. With exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between 10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects. In addition, no adverse effects have been seen with supplemental vitamin D intakes up to 10,000 IU daily.
To this day, medical textbooks mention the risk of vitamin D toxicity. Yet, the scientific literature suggests that toxicity occurs only with very large intakes of vitamin D over prolonged periods (more than 10,000 IUs daily for longer than 6 months). Except in people with disorders known as granulomatosis (such as sarcoidosis or tuberculosis), little risk (if any) is associated with vitamin D supplementation.

Alice
04-11-2011, 05:12 AM
The thing I find most interesting about the Vitamin D issue right now is that though there is now a recommendation for how much adults should take (that keeps going up, btw), there is still no recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics for how much children should take (or at leaast there wasn't in January when I had my dd in for her checkup.) Would be nice to hear something from them, since I now hear at every dr appt I have for me how important it is to add this for adults!

I can't put my finger on a link quickly but the AAP does recommend 400 units a day. That's been the recommendation for several years now.

I'm sure some will say that's too low ;) but that's the official recommendation.

Negin
06-17-2011, 10:50 AM
I would not hesitate to give a child 1000 or a teen 2000 IU. I have given my (15) son 10,000 IU when he feels like he is getting sick, tapering down every few days by 2000 until he reaches 4000 where I let him sit for awhile. Then down to 2000.

Me and the kids that are double digits take 5,000. If we feel a scratchy throat or a germ coming on, we take 10,000 3x a day for a day.

Gitel and CJ, question ... I'm a bit confused and would love clarification, since ds is sick today and we're about to travel in less than a week. At least one of us gets sick every. single. time :eek: that we travel. Drives us nuts ...
Wondering how much D3 to give for prevention or throughout the trip. CJ, everyone is double digits, but ds is quite small for his age. I have no problem giving him the double digit dose for D3.

At least 5000 IU daily through cold and flu season
Now, does this sound right? :unsure: As you can probably tell, I'm very much into planning and being organized. ;)
When you feel like you’re getting sick, you can take:
10,000 IU 3 times per day for 3 days - question: is this 10,000 IU 3 times a day for a grand whopping total of 30,000 IU :eek: OR a total of 10,000 IU to be spread out through the day? Same below ... sorry to sound so confused :unsure:.
8,000 IU 3 times per day for 3 days
6,000 IU 3 times per day for 3 days
4,000 IU 3 times per day for 3 days
Back to normal intake of D3 – whether you normally take 2,000, 5,000, or whatever .

Thanks so much. :)

Negin
06-18-2011, 03:46 AM
[B]When you feel like you’re getting sick, you can take:
10,000 IU 3 times per day for 3 days - question: is this 10,000 IU 3 times a day for a grand whopping total of 30,000 IU :eek: OR a total of 10,000 IU to be spread out through the day?
Feel a bit silly replying to myself, but I assume that it is the latter, 10,000 IU TOTAL for the day, etc. :unsure:
I just really, really hope that we don't get sick, or at least, very sick, on our trip.

CJ
06-18-2011, 11:45 AM
In my house, remember with exposure to sunlight in the summer, the body can generate between 10,000 IU and 20,000 IU of vitamin D per hour with no ill effects.

So if a germ is coming on, we really do 30,000 that day. Two 5,000 softgels in the morning, two more in the afternoon and two more in the evening. I just think of it as if they spend the day in the sun and hopefully we can shut down the germ.

Negin
06-19-2011, 12:37 PM
So if a germ is coming on, we really do 30,000 that day. Two 5,000 softgels in the morning, two more in the afternoon and two more in the evening.
Perfect :clap:. Love it. Thank you, CJ :group:. This is so helpful. I'm coming up with two plans for our trip (as well as for future reference) - one for daily maintenance (normal times) and the other for intensive use (when a cold or something is starting). I love having a plan of action. :D