PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the whole Governement budgets!

Jody in PA
04-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I think as a Nation we are spoiled people. I like to learn from the Depression Era! When the state or Federal wants to cut programs we all cry NO! Well, than how will we ever get this country under control.

We need to start learning how people did without those programs, prior to them. In the Depression, most people farmed, so they were all busy with that. With alot more living in towns, cities, ect. they had to have more things so people have something to do and that is where more programs came in. They have programs for the kids to do to keep them out of trouble. Well, why not have them come to the country to help on farms. No couldn't have them learn, because now that is considered underage workers. I think kids in general are just bored with the TV, video games, ect. If they could work with their hands.

For instance, in the Depression, I read families were happy to have food on the table, family around, and a roof over their head. They talked about picnics and baseball games with the neighborhood for fun. Now we have to spend money to have fun, but really we have more fun when simpler is done, not fancy stuff.

How about taking care of our Seniors instead of putting them into a home. I think of the Waltons! You can learn alot from older people. They have Senior Centers, why couldn't they just entertain in people's homes. We have gotton away from the home and building strong relationships with the older folks.

I know when they talk about shutting the library it would be sad. However, why did they build fancy buildings that are so hard to heat. I would rather have a building that the library could afford to keep open. The schools ect. built these huge brand new schools, but all brand new desks every so often. My dad worked for the school and they threw out teacher's desk, filing cabinets, bookshelves, ect that were in tip top shape. Well, the parents thought the students needed newer stuff. It doesn't make them learn any better. It also cost the tax payer more. We keep saying yes because we want all the best, it will costs up later.

These were just random thoughts I had! Hopefully, it comes across not to stab people, but just to start you thinking how we can change our own little area or with in our family.

Steve Lambert
04-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I choose to listen to "Radio Classics" on satellite radio. I enjoy the old radio programs from "Gunsmoke" and "Abbott and Costello" to "Fibber McGee and Molly" and "My Friend Irma."

Most of these programs were recorded from 1940 to 1953 or so; many of them during World War II.

I'm FASCINATED by the commercials.

During the war years there are constant public service announcements from celebrities and announcers about buying War Bonds to help raise money for the war against Germany and Japan. Do we sell bonds to finance wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya today? Nope- we just borrow the money from the Chinese.

There are continuous jokes in all of the comedies from that era about wartime rationing, victory gardens, the shortage of meat, rubber tires, sugar, gasoline and even ladies hosiery because of the needs of the war taking priority. Do any of us "make do" with less because of the wars today? Nope.

I read a fascinating article just last week about the new changes sweeping across Japan. It seems in a show of national unity ALL Japanese are dramatically cutting back and simplifying their lifestyles. Businesses are no longer leaving lights on in buildings. Karaoke bars are closing down early because it's not "patriotic" to be out late singing and partying when much of the country is suffering.

The article said that in the high-flying 1980's Japan was the picture of overconsumption- $100 per pound Kobe beef, the world's most expensive real estate in Tokyo, etc.

NOW the word "consumption" is considered ugly, anti-Japanese and unpatriotic. "Making do" is the new trend in Japan; make do with what you have and learn to live on less- less energy, less food, less of everything.

But here in America it's "business as usual" even though we're in a national crisis of unparalleled proportion. The government REFUSES to slow down or stop spending in any meaningful way.

Thank you Jody for opening up another thoughtful discussion,

Steve

Jody in PA
04-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Steve,
Those radio programs sound great! We don't have that type of radio, but if we did I think we would be listening! :clap:

Jodi B
04-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Steve, we listen to old time radio shows too, and we've noticed the same things (along with all the commercials for cigarettes :perplex: ).

Jody, here are a couple of resources for old time radio shows:

http://radio.macinmind.com/

http://www.wpr.org/otr/ (you can go to the archives to listen, as well as tune in Saturday and Sunday evenings 8-11 p.m. CT)

:thumb:

Alice R
04-09-2011, 05:10 PM
My favorite is "entitlement programs"

You come into this world and I think as an American you ae entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You aren't really entitled to anything.

I also am shocked to see how much money we sent to countries that hate us.

Random observation: everyone is crying about money but restaraunts are packed to capacity. Everyone is redoing their kitchen. Doesn't anyone know how to cook or eat at home?

These are wild times we are living through.

Gail in NY
04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Yes, we are the richest country in the world, but we are also the biggest babies. We think the sun rises and sets on western culture and the "american way".

I look at our friend from Nepal who happens to live next to us now and in Nepal they do not have a sofa. Or a Kitchen table. or a kitchen. They sit on the floor. They eat with their fingers ( believe me - it s an art!:lol:) http://reynoldsatshilohdairyll.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html

They only have electric sometimes. They eat meat once a week because it is so expensive. It may be a goat they caught runing thru their yard or maybe a chicken. But, you know what? They appreciate everything. They thank God for everything. They have to move in a couple weeks and she said all they have to move is their clothes, because the furniture in the house was given to them and the new place has furniture. She exclaimed, "We have nothing, but we have everything! We are so rich -Praise the Lord!" How's that for a good attitude? She is not trapped by 'stuff'. She was asked what she thought of us American women. Was does she see when she looks around her at todays christian women. She said we are too distracted. Distracted by #1 -the internet, #2 our beautiful homes and all the trappings, and #3 homeschooling!!:eek: We spend way to much time on the curriculum and the state standards and not enough time with our dc teaching them the Christian life and who God is.........we could have it so much harder.

Jodi B
04-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Yeah.

With what I'm seeing here in Wisconsin, I've come to the conclusion that we like the idea of change, but when it comes down to it, where it affects us directly, then we don't like the reality of change, and therefore demand the maintaining of the status quo. :unsure: The bottom line is that we can't have it both ways. :perplex:

Oney
04-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Gail, those are interesting observations from your Nepali friend. Oh I think we're in for a day of reckoning as far as our lifestyle in America goes. We are indeed blessed but we sure don't appreciate it nor do we 'savor' it...there is that mentality that "there's always more." (I'm talking about myself here. :perplex: )