PDA

View Full Version : Our favorite audiobooks at the moment . . .

Robin(CA)
04-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I bought the first one on a whim, because I wanted something fun and easy for my reluctant reader to listen to on the airplane. It was such a hit that I have since bought all the others by the same reader . . .

Henry Huggins (read by Neil Patrick Harris -- remember Doogie Howser? :lol:) and
Henry and the Clubhouse
Henry and Ribsy
Henry and the Paper Route

NPH does such a great job with the voices (my boys think his Ramona voice is hysterical) and he has such a great voice to listen to -- it's lively without being overly animated.

My 6yo in particular has been listening to them over and over (and keeps replaying his favorite parts, like Ramona screaming "I want PTA!"). He really wanted me to buy one of the Ramona books and I warned him it was a different reader (Stockard Channing), but bought it anyway. It's fine, but I wish NPH were reading it instead.

We have never been big on audiobooks before, but we have been enjoying them a lot lately because we have a couple of kindles now we've been playing them on the kindles. :thumb:

Just wanted to pass on my recommendation for a fun listen!

Hollie in SC
04-09-2011, 02:55 PM
:clap: How fun--esp. w/Doogie Howser! Our 10yo is my more reluctant reader. He actually LOVES to read but is EXTREMELY picky about what he reads. We've found that an audio book of the book really motivates him much more!

Jen in SC
04-09-2011, 03:40 PM
We listened to those too and really enjoyed them. I loved all the Ramona books on CD as well. :yes:

We love listening to audiobooks in the van. I alternate between something a little higher level and somethng easier that can amuse Betsie and still not annoy us older folks. Most living books work quite well. :yes:

BethInOK
04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
We've become rather addicted to audio books. We listen to them in the van. I'm rather amazed at how quickly we've gone through the books. The Henry Huggins books were the first ones we listened to. He does such a good job of conveying the character using his voice. It took us a book or two to get accustomed to Stockard Channing, but we've found we really enjoy those as well.