PDA

View Full Version : anyone make their own art?

AmyinWI
04-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I would like to put something on the walls in my 2 newly remodeled bathrooms. I have the time but not the money....

I have wooden frames I've been gathering from thrift stores, art supplies,scrapbbok papers, and now I just need ideas.Any artsy people have suggestions?

If it helps..one bathroom is lt blue/white/brown. I'm making a towel hook sign that says "good,clean fun".

The downstairs bath is brown/white and the shower curtain is green with a brown/white botanical print.

Steph
04-09-2011, 05:23 PM
You could put a puzzle together, glue it and frame it. There are several "bathroom" puzzles.

I love to frame old calendar pictures.

Candace C
04-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Amy, I have seen several blogs around that just frame pretty coordinating papers and it looks great! I would spray paint all the frames to match and just hang a collage of frames all over the wall! So simple! :) I haven't tried it but you might could google "framed scrapbook paper" and see what comes up.

WendyW
04-09-2011, 08:26 PM
My kids bathroom is decorated with a bright tropical fish theme. I made the art hanging above the toilet. I used cardstock to match the shower curtain, and drew pictures that were similar to the curtain designs. Instead of cutting them out, I carefully tore them along the lines. The details like the stripes on the fish are torn from a different color and glued on. All the gluing was done with the drawn lines down so they can't be seen. The result is very cool.

Rachel
04-09-2011, 08:51 PM
I would really check out some decorating blogs like A Soft Place to Land, Mt. Hope Chronicles, Thrifty Decor Chick (she actually has a list of blogs on her blog if hers doesn't fit the bill). But yes, I'd go ahead and make something with what you own.

Do you collect anything else as a hobby like old keys or shells or old books or...? You could hot glue some shells onto a piece of scrapbook paper and put it in the frame (same idea for old keys or whatever that's 3D). You could also frame a page of an old book, with interesting text or pictures. Tear some pictures out of a beautiful old book found at a garage sale or a nature field guide, glue it on top of the coordinating paper for a matte and frame it.
I've also seen something pieced together with scrapbook paper, like a bird or whatever you like. You take a basic shape of ________ (whatever your subject is ie., bird, duck, tree, flower) and do pieced paper collage, with different coordinating scrapbook papers. I don't recall where I saw it but it was really fun looking. You could also use those frames to put silhouettes of your family in them. Those are beautiful and very timeless.

What do you like? What are your hobbies or collections? What time of decorating style do you enjoy? Do you like modern homes, the charm of antiques or the mix of both?

WendyW
04-09-2011, 09:27 PM
An archived post for Gramma's Walk (http://www.fiarhq.com/~gbprnhrz/forum/showthread.php?t=5134) explains the art we made for our downstairs bathroom. It's been almost 10 years since we made it, and it still looks good, and I still love it.

Alice
04-10-2011, 07:57 AM
We use photos as "art". Pick candid or fun shots, not posed. We like to have a theme, in the bathrooms we pick all water theme photos (pool, ocean, kid at a creek, kids in the bath). If you want a more sophisticated look have them printed in black and white. You can order prints at somewhere like Snapfish for cents a print. And it's easy and cheap to change out when you want something new.

DD in IL
04-10-2011, 08:05 AM
My grandmother took up painting when she was in her 60's. She painted a couple of "impressionist" type ocean pictures. My bathroom is a couple of shades of brown which matched the rocks and sand in her picture. So that is my art in the bathroom. I had a sailboat votive and some glass candle holders that had sea shells on them already

CindyJ
04-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I love this website:
http://vintageprintable.com/wordpress/

They are free printables of all sorts of vintage subjects... I like the botanical ones, the animals, (under the birds are some very neat ones of eggs)....

Anyway - if they match your style - they are FREE! I thought the botanical ones might fit with your downstairs bath....

If you decide to use a vintage print - it would look neat to make your frames look "shabby" or old as well.