PDA

View Full Version : To garden or not to garden

Kat in Co
04-09-2011, 04:16 PM
That is the question!
Point A: I am swamped and stressed.
Point B: Some of this workload and stress will go away in a few weeks.
Point C: We've got plenty of space.
Point D: Not much time right now to work it.
Point E: Grocery prices are going up.
Point F: I have enjoyed gardening in the past.

Whats your opinion? To Garden or not to Garden?:)

Michelle B.
04-09-2011, 04:36 PM
I love it:)

Jodi B
04-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes, garden, but keep it basic and simple this year -- IOW, keep it to a few things which you eat a lot of. :yes:

Oney
04-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Plant only those things you really enjoy. For me I would be happy with just a few tomato plants and some cucumbers or green beans. ;) That would help some with groceries and it would give me some enjoyment, it wouldn't take as much time as a full-force entire salad bowl garden ;) and if you end up not having time to tend it you're not out that much.

Pick (no pun intended :lol: ) three of your favorite things and plant away!

Nancy F in CA
04-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Plant only those things you really enjoy. For me I would be happy with just a few tomato plants and some cucumbers or green beans. ;) That would help some with groceries and it would give me some enjoyment, it wouldn't take as much time as a full-force entire salad bowl garden ;) and if you end up not having time to tend it you're not out that much.

Pick (no pun intended :lol: ) three of your favorite things and plant away!

What she said!

Dawn Gilmore
04-09-2011, 07:25 PM
ditto... I find that working in the garden tends to calm me and relieve stress... but don't do so much that you can't take care of it, because then it's just "one more thing."

If you wanted to do just a few tomato plants, you could actually do those in large pots or 5 gallon pails, and it wouldn't take much time at all to prepare.

Jo in PRC
04-10-2011, 12:51 AM
I'd do it. In fact, we ARE planting a garden in CO this year. :) You still have awhile before it's warm enough to do much, so during this hectic time, you can just daydream (I find gardening daydreams very soothing). I also love the idea of just planting a few things you know you'll use....and then toss in a few flowers for the joy factor. :)

Kat in Co
04-10-2011, 10:12 AM
TO GARDEN! THAT IS THE ANSWER!

Thanks ladies! I'm going to do it, but in a small way, as you wise women have suggested. Jo, youre in Co this year? Colorado is beautiful, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Nancy F in CA
04-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Can I just say I wish so badly we could plant a garden this year in Colorado???
We want to be there SO bad!!!

Kendall in GA
04-10-2011, 06:55 PM
:no:...no time & swamped and stressed would definitely be reason enough not to garden for me! I'd look forward to the end of the stressful season and use that time to regroup & recharge. :) I'm mindful of increasing grocery prices and strive to be a good steward; but, I don't fret over higher prices b/c the same Lord who made provision when milk was less than $2.00 will make provision when it is over $3. :yes:

Tracey
04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
We have already started our garden. We find it to be relaxing and something we can all do together. Just start small and see how it goes. :)

Jo in PRC
04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Kat - we're coming back (in less than a week!) to spend the summer with my dad. He has a little farm near Boulder. Anna cannot wait to run barefoot in the grass (or snow) and climb trees.

Robin H in VA
04-11-2011, 05:18 AM
I know how you feel!

I wish that we could have a garden, I mean a decent one anyway. Gardening is good to reduce stress, so maybe a small one for you and your family would be plenty.

Myself, I think we are going to look into container gardening. Not sure if it will be easier or harder, but I think it is what we are going to have to do to have a decent garden that is not taken over by the kudzu.

Dawn Gilmore
04-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Myself, I think we are going to look into container gardening. Not sure if it will be easier or harder, but I think it is what we are going to have to do to have a decent garden that is not taken over by the kudzu.

Robin,

I think the biggest challenge in container gardening is that you have to be sure that things get plenty of water, sometimes in the heat of the summer, that may mean watering twice a day... There are Earthboxes (http://www.earthbox.com/) out there, that help with that issue, commercially available, but a little expensive. I've also seen plans online for building your own earthboxes (http://www.cultivatingconscience.com/2011/03/earthbox-diy/)out of Rubbermaid tubs.