PDA

View Full Version : Chemistry questions from my son....

Gitel in nj
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Hopefully one of you ladies know your chemistry (or one of your children). My son says he tried to find the answers online and cannot but thought "maybe those ladies on that website might know the answers". Can you help my son? Here are his questions:

Is ionization energy a chemical or physical property?
Is solubility a chemical or physical property?

TIA.

Rachel Jane
04-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh Heather.....is Dan around?;)

Heather W
04-09-2011, 08:40 PM
We say they are chemical properties...:)

Though Dan's opinion is that when you are talking about ionization energy you are really going beyond the level of chemical and physical properties...

Gitel in nj
04-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought. I wasn't sure though, because dissolving is a physical process, but the composition changes in some ways, so it's conflicting. And then ionization energy indicates the likelihood for it to bond ionically so that was my line of thinking there.

That was the kid...

I have no idea what he is saying but I do want to thank you and Dan. He has been busy doing Chemistry most of the day. He has his regular honors homework but because he is on his school's Chemistry League team, where he is currently tied for 5th place in the state (the team is in 12th), he has been busy teaching himself all this stuff. The last test is next Thursday.

Thanks again Guys!