PDA

View Full Version : calling Alabama homeschoolers

Karrie AK
04-09-2011, 09:40 PM
How is it homeschooling in Alabama? If you can PM me that would be great or email is fine too. Thanks,
Karrie

Esther-Alabama
04-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Sent you an email.

Carol S
04-09-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm sure Esther covered it, but the main way of homeschooling is through a church school (cover school). Different church schools will have different requirements. Mine is very low contact. I fill out one form per year. But we also have no activities whatsoever through our cover.

Other cover schools will require certain meetings through the year, some will require grades, some will require lesson plans.

Homeschooling is a fairly popular option in Alabama, so there are quite a few opportunities available. My kids are involved in a homeschool band and homeschool choir. We aren't particularly athletes around here, and have just done YMCA and Upward sports, but several cover schools field teams in various sports. Several covers have classes available for any students, not just the ones from their cover.

We moved here from Texas, where you don't have to turn anything in to anyone at any time (at least if you hs from the beginning), so the thought of a cover school was intimidating to me. But it has not been a big deal for us.

KristenS
04-11-2011, 04:46 PM
It's awesome here. :D