PDA

View Full Version : washing dish towels and dish cloths....

Gail in NY
04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
alone in their own load, with other towels or with whites?

Jodi B
04-10-2011, 09:14 PM
By color (light vs. dark) -- all are washed together in the sanitary cycle. :)

Cindy in CA
04-10-2011, 09:20 PM
I wash my dish towels, the ones I use to wash dishes, and the ones I use to wipe counters etc with my load of regular towels all together in hot water.

:)

Rachel Jane
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
~dish towels and dish clothes on hot, with vinegar and dried in the sun if at all possible. Of course, mine all look like rags at this point...

Jen in CO
04-10-2011, 09:34 PM
All the whites and dishcloths and towels (even if they're not white, as long as they're not new enough to bleed) get washed together. It's not really a "white" load, so much as it is a "no fabric softener" load.

Esther-Alabama
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Dish towels alone, in hot, with bleach.

Heather W
04-10-2011, 09:40 PM
own load...

Tracey
04-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I wash them together in their own load.

MicheleNJ
04-10-2011, 10:37 PM
I wash in their own load with no fabric softner.

Gitel in nj
04-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Huh, I would never even think to ask this question :huh:
I just toss em all in with whatever I am washing... Is that wrong?:blush:

WendyW
04-10-2011, 11:06 PM
All the whites and dishcloths and towels (even if they're not white, as long as they're not new enough to bleed) get washed together. It's not really a "white" load, so much as it is a "no fabric softener" load.

Ditto, except change "no fabric softener" which I don't use anyway, to "hot wash".

Shelly L
04-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Dish towels and wash cloths in their own load, warm.

DD in IL
04-10-2011, 11:14 PM
I wash them separate. I don't to wash my dish cloths with the same towels people are using to dry their bodies, dry their hands, mop up the floor, etc. Nope, I just couldn't do it. Towels in one load, dish towels in another around here.

Shelly L
04-10-2011, 11:18 PM
I wash them separate. I don't to wash my dish cloths with the same towels people are using to dry their bodies, dry their hands, mop up the floor, etc. Nope, I just couldn't do it. Towels in one load, dish towels in another around here.

That's my reasoning, too. Maybe the hot water makes up the difference, but I was never comfortable with it. Or maybe this is the way my mother did it -- who knows? :lol:

Kendra AU
04-10-2011, 11:38 PM
tea towels get washed with whatever I'm washing UNLESS they've had a milk spill cleaned up with it.. then I soak in vinegar first and often wash in whites.

Regular towels get washed with whatever, I generally only permit people 1 towel per week because otherwise my kids will go CRAZY with towels. I generally have to snag dh's or he'd use it forever..

Dish cloths get put in a bucket and I drench them with a half to whole bottle of vinegar and then toss in the white wash.. I need to wash some, but we don't generally have much white around here!

Now, can you tell me how to make some silly tea towels absorbent? Bought a pack of them all most a year ago and they STILL won't absorb unless all ready wet. NEVER had them take THIS long to become absorbent.. *sigh* I'm ready to toss them and buy a different set.

Lisa in AL
04-10-2011, 11:57 PM

Me, too, Gitel :blush:

Anjie in PA
04-11-2011, 12:34 AM
Me three, Gitel and Lisa! Dish towels and regular towels, dish scrubbies, sweats and tshirts, socks all go in together.

JennLove
04-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Towels of all sorts (dish, bath, hand) in their own load once a week. And only there because I always have a load once a week and it just makes sense to separate (a whole load of clothes can just go upstairs at once w/o me sorting through it down here...if towels were in there it wouldn't be so since the kitchen is down here.

Never thought of any reason to do them separately...I mean they get clean in the machine no matter what they're in with, right? Or am I missing something? :unsure:

DD in IL
04-11-2011, 01:43 AM
I don't know if they would get clean mixed in with everything else or not. I know on some of the tv shows where they check out bacteria, etc they are always finding stuff on the kitchen wash cloths etc that you would not expect to find?????

Robin(CA)
04-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Own load. I use them instead of paper towels and I don't want dirty rags "contaminating" the rest of my clothes. :lol:

Dawn Gilmore
04-11-2011, 02:22 AM
I wash all the towels together, with bleach.

JennLove
04-11-2011, 02:57 AM
I don't know if they would get clean mixed in with everything else or not. I know on some of the tv shows where they check out bacteria, etc they are always finding stuff on the kitchen wash cloths etc that you would not expect to find?????

:eek: Ewwwww, really? Apparently I'm not watching the right shows...ok, off to investigate...

(Why do I have the feeling I'm about to be dismayed I use towels in the first place and be seized with a desire to go with all-paper-towels?) :unsure:

Jen in CO
04-11-2011, 03:40 AM

I've seen that, too. But I've only ever seen them testing the dish cloths and sponges that people have been using for a while and are sitting in the sink. I've never seen anyone test a dishcloth right out of the dryer and find anything on it. I may have missed something, though...

When my oldest was in the NICU, the nurses there told me that it isn't so much the washing machine that sanitizes things, but the heat of the dryer. The washer gets the dirt and grease etc out, and then the dryer kills any leftover germs. (Obviously, bleach and hot water in the washer do help!)

Kendra AU
04-11-2011, 05:01 AM

I only separate my dishcloths to make sure they hit hot water because my family drinks excess milk around here so sometimes they can be stinky and I don't ever use bleach. If they go in the whites they get extra vinegar, a kick of baking soda, and a big kick of borax.

Our towels all get thrown in with whatever we're washing.. Mom use to wash them separate but I think it was based on lint. I don't have that issue and I don't own a dryer soooo's..

Carol S
04-11-2011, 07:45 AM
With the other towels.

DD in IL
04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I don't wash the bath towels with other clothes because they seem to make the other clothes get balled up (meaning the little nubs) and/or they leave fuzz on some clothes. I don't remember how my mom did laundry.

Jekka Renee
04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
There is no way I could bring myself to do dish towels separately. I'm already overwhelmed with my laundry stash - I have to wash diapers and dh's work clothes in their separate loads every few days - I just don't think I could handle another separation.

Debbie W
04-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I have only a few colored towels all the rest are white. I wash my kitchen towels and rags with the white towels. My kitchen towels are white cotton towels. Most of them anyway.

Melissa Crabtree
04-11-2011, 11:10 AM
In with whites and bleach or with other towels in hot... depends on the day.

Tricia O
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
We wash all towels together with bleach.

DD in IL
04-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Well to complicate things even more, I wash the dish towels that I use to cover my bread while it is rising by themselves too because I don't want them to pick up any greasy type smells etc that is sometimes left in the regular dish towels.

Jo in PRC
04-11-2011, 08:38 PM
It totally depends on my day and our water/electricity situation. I think this is one of those areas where we can say "It's not wrong, just different". ;)

Gwen in Texas
04-11-2011, 09:33 PM
You may never eat at my house again if I tell you that towels of any sort, as well as socks, undies, undershirts, and sheets, all get washed pell-mell, willy-nilly, as needed in hot water and sometimes bleach, then dried all together, tumbling around next to each other with reckless abandon in the dryer. Oh the shame!

Rachel Jane
04-11-2011, 09:38 PM
You may never eat at my house again if I tell you that towels of any sort, as well as socks, undies, undershirts, and sheets, all get washed pell-mell, willy-nilly, as needed in hot water and sometimes bleach, then dried all together, tumbling around next to each other with reckless abandon in the dryer. Oh the shame!

:roflol:
:hi: I'll eat at your house, Girl. I don't care how you do your laundry or what you serve.

Judyn
04-11-2011, 11:34 PM
It would be smart to eat there ... Gwen cooks wonderfully :thumb:

Rachel Jane
04-12-2011, 07:34 AM
It would be smart to eat there ... Gwen cooks wonderfully :thumb:

I am so jealous...you two get together? :grump:

Judyn
04-12-2011, 08:14 AM
no...She was selling baked goodies at a children's play area called the 7 acre woods during the Christmas season. I snagged up some gingerbread, a braided dinner bread (yummo) and homemade marshmallows. They were all terrific, but the best part was meeting her and 2 of her lovely daughters.

Rachel Jane
04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
no...She was selling baked goodies at a children's play area called the 7 acre woods during the Christmas season. I snagged up some gingerbread, a braided dinner bread (yummo) and homemade marshmallows. They were all terrific, but the best part was meeting her and 2 of her lovely daughters.

:clap::clap::clap::yum:

maria maria
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
:roflol:
:hi: I'll eat at your house, Girl. I don't care how you do your laundry or what you serve.

Ditto!

:roflol: loudly!

Gwen in Texas
04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Aw, y'all are so good to me! I love this place. :group: