PDA

View Full Version : Dog food for weight loss?

Kat in Co
04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Benji, my 3 yr old soft coated wheaten mix rescue has gained weight and the vet says he needs to lose about 2 lbs. He still has a waist, but you cannot easily feel his ribs. I prefer to buy him a dry kibble dog food.
Thanks in advance!

Rachel Jane
04-11-2011, 12:34 PM
What brand of food is he eating? Some of the regular brands have used oil (from fast food places) as the oil in the foods. This will, of course, make the dogs heavy, glossy and continue to be hungry all of the time.

If you are feeding a good brand of food, you can just reduce the amount you are feeding by 1/4 cup and feed your dog veggies to make up the difference.
my 50 pound aussie gets 3/4 cup food twice a day with about 3/4 cup frozen veggies. Purists will tell you to grind the veggies down first (so they can process more of the nutrition) , but my guys like to crunch through the frozen stuff, so I let them. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11027204&whse=bd_115&Ne=4000000&eCat=bd_115|6222|78134|7116&N=4033817&Mo=17&No=10&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_115&cat=7116&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=6222*78134*7116*&topnav=bd I throw about 6 to 8 pieces in with the food.

The dog's belly will still be as full as he is accustomed, but he will gradually lose weight.

Good luck!

WendyW
04-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm glad to see it's the DOG who needs to lose weight! My thought when I read the title was that that was the grossest diet plan I'd ever heard of, and it would work by making the person throw up!

Rachel Jane
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm glad to see it's the DOG who needs to lose weight! My thought when I read the title was that that was the grossest diet plan I'd ever heard of, and it would work by making the person throw up!

:roflol:

Kat in Co
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM
RJ he is 20 lbs, fully grown. He is eating Purina One sensitive skin and stomach. I chose that for him when I rescued him because he came to me covered in mud coated dred locks to the ground and I was told the mats and dreds would have irritated his skin. After that, I just kept up with the same food. I couldnt get your link to work for me.

Kat in Co
04-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Wendy :roflol::roflol::roflol: Thats been my best laugh so far today, both at your creative sense of innate sense of humor, and at my not forseeing it when I wrote the title. I bet you are the life of every party!

Rachel Jane
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
http://dry-dog-food.findthebest.com/detail/122/Wellness-CORE-Ocean-Recipe

This food is expensive, but if you are only feeding him 1/2 cup, 2x a day, a large bag should last you almost three months. That is less than $1 a day.

How much of the Purina are you feeding him? How do his teeth and eyes look?

The other link is to the Costco, Normandy style, frozen mixed vegetables.

Kat in Co
04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
RJ I'm feeding him a little less than a cup a day, but I think dd and especially Dh feed him more. I didn't tell you the right food, I said Purina One, but I meant to say Purina Pro Plan. I divide it up in two feedings. I picked up a small well marked measuring cup from the vet today. His eyes look good, bright and clear. Some of his back teeth are getting a bit of tartar on them, the fronts are white and look very good. The vet reccomends we have his teeth done. I'm considering it.

Theresa
04-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Life's Abundance is a great food and they have a Weight Loss formula. My beagle has lost on it.

I was ordering it online, but found out our vet sells it.

http://www.lifesabundance.com/Pets/LifesAbundance/WeightLossDogFood.aspx?realname=&cat=0&hdr=&Ath=False

KathleenM
04-11-2011, 06:20 PM

The same thought occurred to me as well. I know I would lose weight on that plan - blech!

Hayley M
04-11-2011, 06:33 PM

I laughed so loud that my kids started saying, "what!?! What!? What is SO FUNNY?!?" That was priceless!!!!! Thank you for that much needed laugh Wendy!

Melissa Crabtree
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM

:roflol: I did have the same thought but decided I must be really off base! :lol:

Negin
04-12-2011, 03:32 AM
:roflol:
I thought the same exact thing. I thought, "Wow! A new weight loss approach!"
:lol:

Tricia O
04-12-2011, 06:55 AM

So glad I wasn't the only one who read that into it at first glance. :roflol:

Dawn Gilmore
04-12-2011, 10:41 AM
ditto!! :lol: My first thought was "Yep, that would definitely work for me :p"

Erika in TX
04-12-2011, 03:57 PM
I thought the same thing, but my second thought was...well at least it would be inexpensive :roflol:

Tricia O
04-12-2011, 08:02 PM
The second thing I was thinking about was Dave Ramsey talking about needing to save for retirement so we wouldn't be a sad (and broke) old person eating Alpo. :p