PDA

View Full Version : Buying a tv

Debbie W
04-11-2011, 12:30 PM
We are buying a new flat screen tv with my dh's safety bonus points from work. I was set to go ahead and order the tv we picked out until I saw that it was a wide screen.

Tell me about wide screen. Will it work with full screen dvd's we watch? Will regular tv have a strip on top and bottom? Will we be able to adjust the tv so we can watch it like a full screen?

Anything anyone can tell me about wide screen I'm listening. I don't want to order it and then be bugged out of my gourd everytime we watch tv because of a strip on top and bottom of the screen.

Our only other option is to get a full screen flat screen that is smaller. The tv we picked out is 26" the smaller one is 19".

Would you go ahead and get the 26" tv even though it's a wide screen?
I really need some opinions and info from ya'll.

Carol Ryan
04-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Ours is widescreen and we really like it. I thought that the black strip would bug me but it doesn't bother me at all. The widescreen works really nicely with any digital channels you might get. If it were me, I'd get the widescreen simply because it's bigger. At age 49, my eyesight is not what it used to be. I really enjoy seeing a clear picture. :)

Good luck! This really is about personal preference. You can't go wrong either way. :)

Jodi B
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Go with the 26" widescreen -- most TV shows are in widescreen now, and pretty much all movies released on DVD are in widescreen. Your full screen movies should work fine.

Melanie
04-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I would also get a wide screen. Honestly, I didn't even know that they made flat screen TVs that are full screen (but I also know next to nothing about technology!). I think wide screen is the way everything is going.

Enjoy your new tv!

Shannon P
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
You'll see more picture with widescreen TV.:) Most of the time, there are no boxes.

You won't always be rid of the black boxes. There are a variety of aspect ratios. Your TV can only display one ratio without using black boxes or cutting off edges. Older shows and movies have black boxes at the sides.

I can't tell you that you won't be bugged out of your gourd. I can tell you that we don't notice it at all. (Then again, we always watch with captioning which bothers most people.)

One big thing to know with shopping for a widescreen TV is that the picture looks smaller than a similarly sized tube TV. A 26" widescreen TV is pretty small for a living room.:unsure:

Debbie W
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh it's not for the living room. It's to replace our defunct junky tv in our bedroom. This tv may eventually be moved to the schoolroom.

DD in IL
04-11-2011, 02:46 PM
can't help because our main tv (the one that can pick up channels) is a 13 inch. We never got any of the converter boxes and we only have rabbit ears on the 13 inch.