PDA

View Full Version : Laundry question for wives with mechanic husbands/sons

Jane R
04-12-2011, 11:30 AM
How do you get that horrible diesel oil/car grease smell out of clothing? Dh and ds are working on getting his car running and their clothes stink! Should I pretreat before washing?

I haven't tried vinegar in the rinse water yet, I thought I would ask before "experimenting". Dh has a jacket that I washed a couple a times in regular detergent and left out side for about a week to air out but it still smelled so strongly I got rid of it.

Robin H in VA
04-12-2011, 11:36 AM
My mom uses Pine-Sol the blue kind and sometimes the purple. :D

DD in IL
04-12-2011, 12:29 PM
My friend always used Lestol/// Listol(spelling?)

WendyW
04-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I haven't tried vinegar in the rinse water yet, I thought I would ask before "experimenting".

Be careful about using vinegar in your washing machine. If you have an aluminum tub, it's not a problem, but with an enameled tub it will gradually eat away the enamel and you will end up with rust spots on your clothes from the metal underneath.

LynnDinKY
04-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Ya mean I'm suppose to get the smell OUT????

I don't bother. He's just gonna spill more on there.;)

Robin H in VA
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Ya mean I'm suppose to get the smell OUT????

I don't bother. He's just gonna spill more on there.;)

:roflol:

That's what men do! :lol:

Colleen OH
04-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Since my oldest moved out, I only deal with a fraction of the diesel/oil/grease that I used to! :lol: My younger boys are all headed that way, though. ;)

I never did figure out how to really cure it, but I was sure to keep only Blake's stuff together. The stuff sometimes came out like an oil slick!! :crazy:

My daughter-in-law was telling me she uses a certain dish soap to wash ds's clothes. (She came by it because the bottle said something about tough on grease....) I'll have to ask her which one she uses and how much.

Yes, Robin and Lynn....why work too hard getting it out? They'll just get more on themselves!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_I4Nn1AZPoKk/SJhdCYpyuVI/AAAAAAAABUE/TNrlOTq_HYc/s1600-h/IMG_2768.JPG<----this is one of my favorite "laundry" pictures from a couple years ago at our house. :lol:

Theresa
04-13-2011, 07:57 AM
I haven't tried it personally, but has anyone tried Fast Orange in their laundry?

Rachel Jane
04-13-2011, 08:04 AM
Since my oldest moved out, I only deal with a fraction of the diesel/oil/grease that I used to! :lol: My younger boys are all headed that way, though. ;)

I never did figure out how to really cure it, but I was sure to keep only Blake's stuff together. The stuff sometimes came out like an oil slick!! :crazy:

My daughter-in-law was telling me she uses a certain dish soap to wash ds's clothes. (She came by it because the bottle said something about tough on grease....) I'll have to ask her which one she uses and how much.

Yes, Robin and Lynn....why work too hard getting it out? They'll just get more on themselves!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_I4Nn1AZPoKk/SJhdCYpyuVI/AAAAAAAABUE/TNrlOTq_HYc/s1600-h/IMG_2768.JPG<----this is one of my favorite "laundry" pictures from a couple years ago at our house. :lol:

Photo?

Donna H
04-13-2011, 08:32 AM

:lol: Love the picture, Colleen!

I'm thinking she probably uses Dawn dish soap. That's what Jerid used to use to get himself clean when he was building silos. I don't miss washing those clothes at all. :eek::tongue:

Colleen OH
04-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Photo?

For some reason you have to be logged in to see it.

Rachel Jane
04-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Weird. I can link to it from my email but not directly from the thread. Cool picture. We don't even own that many! :lol:

Renelle
04-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Emulsifier - it's a thick clear fluid that gets it all out. You have to add 1 cup of it to your usual washing detergent or directly onto stain. It is sold at places that sell industrial clothing wear/boots. I have mechanics and miners in our family and have a separate (2nd hand) washing machine for work clothes.
The one we use is called Mampak Cleaning Supplies Emulsifier which is Australian.
Blessings, Renelle

Colleen OH
04-13-2011, 09:31 AM
My daughter-in-law's response:
"I only use Dawn dish soap. It might not wash them as clean, but it doesn't wear them out like other soaps I've tried."

Anita Terpstra
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
My daughter-in-law's response:
"I only use Dawn dish soap. It might not wash them as clean, but it doesn't wear them out like other soaps I've tried."

Yes, and if you mix Dawn with a little Bar Keeper's Friend it makes very effective hand grease remover.:)