PDA

View Full Version : friends and technology...

Kristina J
04-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Ok, help me think outloud here! ;)

Growing up I wasn't allowed to have friends over or if I was, I suppose I didn't feel comfortable. Fast forward to now, I want to be the home where all the kids hang out.

And here is where the BUT, comes in. We don't have cable, we don't have Wii or any other fancy schmancy techie devices over here! And I don't forsee us getting any in the near future. We do have a PS2 which the kids maybe have 3 games on there?

We live on a cul-de-sac full of kids my kids ages so friends are no problem. But I can sense the pull for my kids to hang out with the ones with the big tv's, movies on demand etc. I have no problem saying no to them going over there all the time but I also would love to say yes to my kids once in awhile! :lol:

So will my kids not want to hang out over here because of the pull from others "cool" homes? Sigh... I know with time it will just get worse!

Maybe I will just make tons of cookies! Bwaaa haa haaaa!

Judyn
04-12-2011, 02:00 PM
The kids love my husband playing tag with them...even the upper middle schoolers.

I get a roll of brown packaging paper...a BIG roll from Home Depot...roll it out in the front lawn and have lots and lots of sidewalk chalk for them to use. This is a HUGE hit with lots of the kids 10 and under.

If I see kids out in the street, I get the flavor-ice popscicles and pass them out to everyone.

I can say that we are a huge hit outside...several times a week you see 10 kids in our front yard...and only 2 are ours.

But yes...they will be pulled in the direction of the toys. But just know that the kids with the big toys will be pulled in your direction if you offer lots of fun and love if they aren't getting it at home.

Linda
04-12-2011, 06:52 PM
:unsure:

Even though we have some of those things you mentioned, my kids don't play them very often and never when friends are over. If kids come over, or my kids go over to neighbors houses, they are outside playing.

Be the house with the cool snacks that never end, and you'll find more kids over than you'll know what to do with. Food, not technology is what will keep them coming, especially for the boys. :lol:

Faith
04-12-2011, 07:23 PM
We were always the house people wanted to come to growing up. I want to be that house too. For my friends, it was simply that my parents welcomed everyone. My mom didn't stress about spills on the carpet or a broken dish or two or whatever. I was told many times that my home was comfortable.

We didn't have any of the latest gadgets. Sometimes we'd whip up a batch of cookies or brownies and play board games. Sometimes we'd play tag in the backyard (yes, in high school!) Anyway - be open. . . be loving . . . and be flexible.

Kendall in GA
04-12-2011, 07:37 PM
We don't have cable, we don't have Wii or any other fancy schmancy techie devices over here!

Purposely, we don't have a gaming system. We do have cable; however, I have a general rule of no watching TV when company is over. IMO, one can watch TV alone; I prefer that my dc engage in an active (v. passive) activity when their friends are over. Guess what???...Kids still come over! There are many things to do other than "plug in." :yes:

Rebecca in Orlando
04-12-2011, 07:45 PM
For years, we had NO TV, no games, nothing like that! Kids still loved coming here! I like to bake, we always had lots of craft stuff out when the girls were younger,and we have a huge yard and play set. We still don't have a TV with channels..but we did get a flatscreen TV so we could watch dvds and play the wii, which we all love, but honestly only play about 2x a month. My kids and their friends swim, swing, ride bikes, play in the sand...etc. I agree with the other poster...food brings them in, that and love! Popcorn and popsicles are inexpensive treats that most kids like!

Julie in AZ
04-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Maybe I will just make tons of cookies! Bwaaa haa haaaa!

From the responses, it sounds like your evil mind is right on track! :lol:

I also think anything unique or different is going to help draw a crowd. We were out trying to volley birdies with our badmitton rackets the other day and quickly a bunch of kids appeared.

You'll be fine as you have the most important part down, the love. A welcoming home filled with love will bring them in. ETA: Looks like Rebecca and I were posting at the same time. ;)

Kristina J
04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Purposely, we don't have a gaming system. We do have cable; however, I have a general rule of no watching TV when company is over. IMO, one can watch TV alone; I prefer that my dc engage in an active (v. passive) activity when their friends are over. Guess what???...Kids still come over! There are many things to do other than "plug in." :yes:

Normally we go by that rule here too. :thumb: These are neighbor kids who all LIVE outside! We all have great times outside everyday so kind of, these kids are almost like siblings. On gross days when we can't be outside, they gravitate to the Wii or house with the TV. Overall, it is all a good thing, I was just forward thinking. ;)

Thanks guys! :thumb:

DD in IL
04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
My mom didn't have anything but a deck of cards and home made pizza....yet kids were always coming to her house. Even after us kids grew up, kids from the church would stop by after Sunday night service to play cards or spoons...or just to talk to her about something. If a child feels special when they come to your house then they don't need the tech stuff. Your house can be the fun house and it can be the safe house without all the stuff.

Hollie in SC
04-13-2011, 07:05 AM
:unsure:

Even though we have some of those things you mentioned, my kids don't play them very often and never when friends are over. If kids come over, or my kids go over to neighbors houses, they are outside playing.

Be the house with the cool snacks that never end, and you'll find more kids over than you'll know what to do with. Food, not technology is what will keep them coming, especially for the boys. :lol:

That is basically how it works here. Eli's best bud is a computer/gaming kid so when he is over we usually allow about 30 min. of Wii. However, in general our mantra is that they can play media any old time, but when we have guests we want them to enjoy the time w/real people. :lol:

Also, Kristina, your kids are still pretty young. :) We didn't have any of those things when our kids were the ages of your kids. Wii is something we bought one year when we had no money for vacation. However, I will say that with the active games it is a very good thing for energetic boys on rainy days. :wornout: Some days I purposefully send them to it for "active" games (meaning Wii Fit or Outdoor Challenge or something that gets them MOVING and JUMPING and burning energy) as opposed to the other games we have.

LillianD
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
We have kids over ALL the time and we don't let them veg in front of video games/computer/tv the whole time they are over. We do allow some, but sometimes I get sick of electronic noises and tell the kids it all goes off. I've baked cookies with many neighborhood kids, they LOVE that. Also, they often will find things to do, board games, playing in the kid's bedrooms, coloring/crafts, just normal kid stuff. I always try to have some sort of snack available, it's nice when they feel welcomed and kids love snacks (I'll usually do something like air popped popcorn or homemade granola bars). I do think kids will still go over regardless of whether or not you have video games going on. A lot of parents don't want neighborhoods kids in their houses all the time, so we end up with a lot just because we let them come in:lol:.