PDA

View Full Version : Steve- Question about author Stephen Meader

debbie in ak
04-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Steve- Were you the one that was recommending Stephen Meader's books awhile back? Which books were your favorites?

Steve Lambert
04-13-2011, 02:36 AM
Yep- that was me!! I love 'em all and I've read 'em all.

I particularly like...

Blueberry Mountain
Snow on Blueberry Mountain
Boy With a Pack
Bulldozer
T-Model Tommy

But truthfully, there isn't a single one that wouldn't read again!!

Life was simpler in these stories: Right was right, wrong was wrong, hard work and perseverance were rewarded and boys who make the right choices and do the right things grow into good men and triumph over bullies, thieves and no-gooders.

I LOVE these books,

Steve

molly in cr
04-13-2011, 08:29 AM
I missed the original post...for what age would these be?

debbie in ak
04-13-2011, 09:02 AM
I missed the original post...for what age would these be?

The info I have on his books says "upper elementary".

debbie in ak
04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Yep- that was me!! I love 'em all and I've read 'em all.

I particularly like...

Blueberry Mountain
Snow on Blueberry Mountain
Boy With a Pack
Bulldozer
T-Model Tommy

But truthfully, there isn't a single one that wouldn't read again!!

Life was simpler in these stories: Right was right, wrong was wrong, hard work and perseverance were rewarded and boys who make the right choices and do the right things grow into good men and triumph over bullies, thieves and no-gooders.

I LOVE these books,

Steve

Thanks, Steve! Gonna put holds on at the library!

Cara in WA
04-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Steve! Gonna put holds on at the library!

We have the luxury of accessing two library systems in our area, and neither of them has even one of these books! It seems that they are quite collectable and therefore expensive to purchase.

Enjoy them! And let us know what your boys thought of the stories. :)

debbie in ak
04-13-2011, 11:20 AM
We have the luxury of accessing two library systems in our area, and neither of them has even one of these books! It seems that they are quite collectable and therefore expensive to purchase.

Enjoy them! And let us know what your boys thought of the stories. :)

Yes, I saw on Ebay that some are asking $200-300 for a book!:eek::eek: Our library only has a handful of them.

Cara in WA
04-13-2011, 11:59 AM
I found them at www.southernskies.com, where a new hardcover is $35 plus shipping. Besides the Bible, I don't think I've ever paid that much for a book. (But, I ordered one for my son's Easter gift.):) They do seem to have all the titles... If he likes this one, I can keep buying one at a time until he out-grows them.

Probably the books that are $$$ would be first editions? :unsure:

Steve Lambert
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I would say ages 6-12. Obviously the younger ages would be read-alouds for mom and dad.

The books have been pitched from most libraries years ago: No sex, no drugs, no rock and roll, no gay parents, no abuse, nothing to make them "relevant" in today's world! :eyes: :mad:

In fact, Meader wrote dozens of books from about 1930 until 1967 when his longtime publisher said he had to begin ADDING all of those kinds topics to his books in order to make them "relevant." Meader refused and quit writing.

I've paid as much as $30-$40 for a couple of titles, and bought others for as little as 50 at library sales. They've ALL been reprinted by Southern Skies press and are WELL WORTH the $20 each for paperback if you want "read them again and again and someday your great-grandchildren will love them" books to own and keep. A book or two for birthdays, Christmas, etc. is a GREAT investment for parents or grandparents to make.

All I can tell you is they are WORTH finding, buying or borrowing. There isn't ONE of them I wouldn't recommend and I own every single title after about a 10-year collecting effort,

Steve

Robin(CA)
04-13-2011, 12:23 PM
You can currently get "The Black Buccaneer" free on Kindle

ETA: do a search in the Kindle store for Meader -- one is 99 cents, the other is free.

debbie in ak
04-13-2011, 03:53 PM
You can currently get "The Black Buccaneer" free on Kindle

ETA: do a search in the Kindle store for Meader -- one is 99 cents, the other is free.

Cool! Just got it!