PDA

View Full Version : Would you all help my sister become an Honorary Bat Girl for the Baltimore Orioles?

Heather W
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
My sister Kim is a 16 yr survivor of breast cancer. She's also a crazy baseball fan!

She's trying to be an honorary bat girl for the O's this season on Mother's Day and I'd LOVE to see her get there.

http://mlb.mlb.com/sponsors/komen/gallery.jsp If you click that link and choose the "team" drop down list at the top there, you can choose Orioles. Then just click on my sister's picture - you can't miss her she's "pinkim" and she's in all bright pink! :lol:

Then just click vote!

If you are interested, here is more of her story:

As a 16 year breast cancer survivor/advocate, I am known as Pinkim. A name given to me by fellow breast cancer survivors / advocates years ago as I am rarely seen wearing any other color. Even my Oriole hats are pink! My daughter was just 2 when I was diagnosed and at 19 she is also an advocate. I have to say that it just tickles me pink that my two biggest passions have teamed up to fight breast cancer. I have been an Oriole fan since the sixth grade and I have been a Komen Maryland and National volunteer for fifteen. I have been a past Komen MD RFTC chair and I am the current survivor chair. I am currently on the Komen Advocates in Science Steering Committee. All of this, while working full time! It would certainly give me great pleasure to be able to wear Oriole Pink and support my two favorite teams on Mother's day, I wonder, may I throw out a Pink ball?

Thanks so much everyone. It would mean the world if she won!:)

Rachel Jane
04-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Voted!

Kendall in GA
04-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Done! :)

Jen in OK
04-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I voted!

BethInOK
04-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Voted! :) What a great story!

Michele
04-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Great story! Happy to vote for your sister.

Angela Rose
04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
vote!

Alice
04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
De-lurking to say I voted. :)

Tracey
04-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Voted!

Heather W
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
De-lurking to say I voted. :)

Thanks Alice! Nice to see you!

Thank you everyone!

Ami
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Voted!

Alicia
04-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I voted too!! :)

Julie Y
04-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Voted!

It took me a bit to figure it out. For the rest of you, make sure you click on "teams" in the "sorted by" function just above the photos -- NOT in the upper right corner where it takes you to their home page, I guess. :perplex:

Elysa Mac
04-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I voted and I'll pass this on via fb AND to my college Social Club sisters, The Troubadours. Their community service projects every year are to support the Komen Foundation and work to fight breast cancer. The alums from my college, Mississippi University for Women, are a wonderful bunch of ladies who keep in touch more than must alum groups do. They are always great to support such causes when asked.:)

Heather W
04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I voted and I'll pass this on via fb AND to my college Social Club sisters, The Troubadours. Their community service projects every year are to support the Komen Foundation and work to fight breast cancer. The alums from my college, Mississippi University for Women, are a wonderful bunch of ladies who keep in touch more than must alum groups do. They are always great to support such causes when asked.:)

Thanks so much Elysa! That would be terrific!

Heather W
04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Voted!

It took me a bit to figure it out. For the rest of you, make sure you click on "teams" in the "sorted by" function just above the photos -- NOT in the upper right corner where it takes you to their home page, I guess. :perplex:

Thanks Julie! It is a sort by list at the top above the photos. Pick Orioles! :)

Leslie Nelsen
04-13-2011, 05:28 PM

ditto

Elysa Mac
04-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks so much Elysa! That would be terrific!

Just did it! Put it on my wall, posted it on the Troubadour group page, and sent it to some of my Troub sisters personally in a message. I also asked them to pass it on so hope it garners quite a few votes!

LisainUtah
04-13-2011, 05:36 PM
I voted!

Gitel in nj
04-13-2011, 05:47 PM
voted...and I also posted it to my FB page. Hope you don't mind!

Heather W
04-13-2011, 05:56 PM
voted...and I also posted it to my FB page. Hope you don't mind!

Nope I don't. Thanks! :)

Katie
04-13-2011, 05:58 PM

Gwen in Richmond
04-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Voted!

Cindy K
04-13-2011, 06:21 PM
voted :)

DebinTN2day
04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Done!:)

Esther-Alabama
04-13-2011, 06:42 PM
voted!!!

Kat in Co
04-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Done! I hope she gets it.

April Marie
04-13-2011, 07:13 PM
I voted, Heather!

Cindy in CA
04-13-2011, 11:05 PM
I voted!

:)

Angela Rose
04-14-2011, 08:03 AM
voted!

Julie in FL
04-14-2011, 08:13 AM
voted!

Elysa Mac
04-14-2011, 12:42 PM
My Troubadour Sisters have been messaging me via fb that they are voting. Hope it helps her win! Does she have any way to see her votes so far?

Heather W
04-14-2011, 12:53 PM
My Troubadour Sisters have been messaging me via fb that they are voting. Hope it helps her win! Does she have any way to see her votes so far?

Well I hope so! Thanks so much for spreading the word. Kim emailed me last night and here's what she said:

Well, thanks so much! I am amazed and humbled! I made a very last minute decision to do this...

Just keep in mind that the public vote isn't really the final say. I think that they look at that but it is ultimately a committee from MLB and Komen that decides...

Anyway you and your friends rock! Be sure that they know they are very appreciated!! I will remember the effort no matter the outcome!

So, I'm not sure whether she can see it and it sounds like it is not the only factor in their decision.

However, I am thinking they will take notice when they see lots of votes! My sister has chaired the Baltimore Race for the Cure for years which is a huge race and is currently the Survivor Chair for the MD Komen Foundation. The science steering committee she is on means that she gets to travel around and review research grant requests for Komen. Each scientist who gets a grant gets partnered with a survivor/patient so they have a person to go with all the science they do. Cool program.

Anyway, I appreciate all of you and those in your circles taking time out to vote for Kim!

She is a die hard baseball fan even going to the games/fields of major league teams in every city she visits. That is hardcore! :lol:

Gitel in nj
04-14-2011, 03:26 PM
:clap: for your sister. My mom will be a 22 year survivor this November. We have walked in the Central Park Komen Walk for the past 20 years. This September will be our 21st. It has only been recently that we have added the AVON walk to our repetoire :roflol: 4 for me and 3 for mom. WE are not walking AVON this year because both of us have major overuse injuries that need to rest.

I don't know how big the Baltimore walk is (big I assume)but being the Chairwoman is a major commitment---MAJOR! I sure hope she wins but all i gotta say is...LETS GO METS :lol:

Heather W
04-14-2011, 06:48 PM
:clap: for your sister. My mom will be a 22 year survivor this November. We have walked in the Central Park Komen Walk for the past 20 years. This September will be our 21st. It has only been recently that we have added the AVON walk to our repetoire :roflol: 4 for me and 3 for mom. WE are not walking AVON this year because both of us have major overuse injuries that need to rest.

I don't know how big the Baltimore walk is (big I assume)but being the Chairwoman is a major commitment---MAJOR! I sure hope she wins but all i gotta say is...LETS GO METS :lol:

Thanks Gitel...my sister works tirelessly for Komen. and has for 15 years. The Baltimore walk is enormous- a big venue. She did it for several years and was Maryland volunteer of the year one year and had her name and picture on a pink Komen BMW and was in a parade. fun stuff.

Overuse issues...that is some hardcore bc walking there you two! Wow...

The voting is now closed so I hear...thanks to all of you and your friends who took the time to click and vote!:)

Elysa Mac
04-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Heather---Thanks for the details. :)

Melissa Crabtree
04-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Okay, maybe I'm blind but is the voting over? I can't see a VOTE option anywhere??

OOPS I see that it's now closed, Heather. Sorry I was late!

laurie in ok
04-15-2011, 03:06 PM
I tried to vote. Is it over? I found her picture, and even put her on my facebook page, but couldn't find a vote button anywhere. :unsure:

Heather W
04-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I tried to vote. Is it over? I found her picture, and even put her on my facebook page, but couldn't find a vote button anywhere. :unsure:

:yes: It's over. Thanks for trying! It ended at noon yesterday I think. I'm not sure when they announce the winners, but I will be certain to let you all know!