PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out what to serve at DS's Eagle Project...

Gitel in nj
04-15-2011, 11:03 AM
My son will be doing his Eagle project over 2 weekends. The first weekend will be at our home where some of the older boys will be building potting benches and cutting and pre-drilling the wood to construct planting boxes. The second weekend will be at our town's urban farm. They will be delivering and installing the benches, building and installing the planting boxes and filling them with soil, and making and installing several trellises.

I have to feed the boys--lunch and snacks, on both weekends. We have already decided that at our home we will just do hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, with Chips and stuff; brownies and cookies for dessert. Since we will have chips with lunch I am not sure what I should offer as snacks..

The 2nd weekend is more of a problem. There will be more kids--scouts and friends. Also, I feel that since it is in a Farm/Garden I should provide something a bit more healthy or at least have more vegetables available.

I am thinking of seeing if I can't get some subs or sandwiches donated from one of the shops in town. Maybe a veggie plate and some nice side salads. Do you think the kids will be okay with this or would they prefer chips and junk..Should I care? Any other suggestions? Again, what should I offer as snacks? I am thinking of trying to get a cookie platter donated also. Otherwise should I do brownies and cookies again or should I have some pies or something?

In both cases we will offer water, juice and soda as drinks...

Judyn
04-15-2011, 11:09 AM
sandwiches and veggi platters sound great...maybe with ranch for dipping. I can't IMAGINE boys turning down either cookies or dragons if you offered them EVERY weekend...much less, just 2 weekends in a row.

Congrats to your son.

Gitel in nj
04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
sandwiches and veggi platters sound great...maybe with ranch for dipping. I can't IMAGINE boys turning down either cookies or dragons if you offered them EVERY weekend...much less, just 2 weekends in a row.

Congrats to your son.

I wasn't planning on serving dragons but if they enjoy them that much...maybe I should. It certainly would be unique :roflol: :lol: :roflol:

Rachel Jane
04-15-2011, 11:27 AM
At the last two events where I was in charge of snack, I brought veggie platters, clementines, grapes, cheese, crackers, brownies, chili, tostitoes, popcorn, cookies and dip. Everything was eaten down to one or two bites except the grapes. If you bring it, they will eat!

Jekka Renee
04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
We had chili at my bro-in-law's Eagle scout project site. It was relatively easy to make and was really enjoyed. A couple stock pots full of the stuff (one super hot, one tamer), some fixings and you have a great, healthy meal for everyone! I don't think what the snack is will matter: make them, buy them - they will be gone within minutes. I'd do some quick and easy cookies personally.

BTW - I love the project - it sounds like a lot of fun!

Judyn
04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
So sorry...can you guess what I was speaking about to my students today:roflol: I meant brownies.

Rachel Jane
04-15-2011, 11:44 AM
So sorry...can you guess what I was speaking about to my students today:roflol: I meant brownies.

Hear ye, hear ye, henceforth all brownies for groups of boys shall be called "Dragons", by order of Judyn.

Claire in IN
04-15-2011, 10:51 PM
It must be the weekend for Eagle Scout Projects.

We are serving sloppy joes, chips, pickles and brownies Saturdayand sub sandwiches on Sunday afternoon.

Daniel is adding on to the shooting storage shed for 4-H in our county.

Here's praying we all have decent weather to further our guys along!

Blessings,

PS: Gitel your son's project sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy.

Gitel in nj
04-16-2011, 09:54 AM
It must be the weekend for Eagle Scout Projects.

We are serving sloppy joes, chips, pickles and brownies Saturdayand sub sandwiches on Sunday afternoon.

Daniel is adding on to the shooting storage shed for 4-H in our county.

Here's praying we all have decent weather to further our guys along!

Blessings,

PS: Gitel your son's project sounds like a lot of fun, enjoy.

:clap: Congratulations to your son, Claire, his project sounds great. I hope everything works out perfectly, the weather, the project, the volunteers and yes...the food :)

Gitel in nj
04-16-2011, 09:59 AM

Congrats to your son.

At the last two events where I was in charge of snack, I brought veggie platters, clementines, grapes, cheese, crackers, brownies, chili, tostitoes, popcorn, cookies and dip. Everything was eaten down to one or two bites except the grapes. If you bring it, they will eat!

you both make very valid points...hungry teenage boys will eat whatever i put out. I am the only one who cares :unsure: