PDA

View Full Version : Are all the southern families ok after the storms?

Stacia
04-16-2011, 11:54 AM
We had some nasty weather last night (incl. a small tornado spotted nearby that caused me to get the dc out of bed & move downstairs at 3 a.m. -- the dc were not too thrilled about that & complained sleepily the whole time :lol:), but we are totally fine. No damage to trees or anything else either. (Unless the top of my van has hail damage -- I haven't climbed up on a stool to look yet. I was at a store last night around 8 p.m. when a huge hailstorm hit. Wow -- the noise was incredible. :eek:) Of course, today is absolutely gorgeous.

Anyway, we're fine, but I know this storm system has caused a lot of damage & heartache. Just wanted to send a shout-out to the others who were in the path of the storm & make sure you & your families are ok. :)

Esther-Alabama
04-16-2011, 12:17 PM
We had some rough weather all around us, had a little hail, wind, and lots of rain, but our town is fine.

However, my hometown is not. Three members of one family were killed when the tornado destroyed their mobile home. The mom and two sons were killed, the dad and daughter were critically injured, plus a spend the night guest was also badly injured. I grew up in a tiny community, so everyone knows everyone. My mom taught this man when he was in school. The community is in shock and trying to clean up the storm damage at the same time.

Thankfully, my family members are all ok, but many friends had damage and many local businesses were heavily damaged.

So very, very sad today.

Stacia
04-16-2011, 12:43 PM
:group:, Esther. I know it's a very hard day for many people today. :sad:

Carol S
04-16-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry for this tragic loss, Esther.

Stacia, are comfortable saying what state you're in?

Tricia O
04-16-2011, 03:47 PM
It all went north of us. Our old hometown of Clinton, MS was hit by a tornado though. :sad:

Paige P
04-16-2011, 04:34 PM
It came right through here (south Tuscaloosa) :eek: Our neighborhood was hit pretty hard. Thankfully, we are fine, as are the others in our neighborhood. We lost LOTS of trees, fencing, shutters, a shattered window, and tons of debris. We're praising the Lord, though, b/c we are all perfectly fine and the house is fine. There are tons of trees down in our neighborhood and some houses with trees in them, but primarily it's lots of trees on the roads, etc. We lost power yesterday afternoon but got it back about 5:30 this morning. We've been outside since about 8 cleaning up. Jim's been out with a chainsaw trying to make some of the downed trees less hazardous.

Many things to rejoice over :hcry:

Tricia O
04-16-2011, 05:06 PM
My sister shared this: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My father in law's car was totaled today by hail on his way home near Meridian. This is the windshield! Hail broke out the back glass, the rear glass and the side window. Crazy. Thank goodness he is ok.

Yeah, really scary. It broke out the sun roof also and there was large hail still in his back seat when he got home (an hour later). I'd have been having a stroke if this had happened to me!

Yea, he was in the car and had to drive an hour home like that. He said there was no where to go when it was happening...I can't imagine. Jo said he was covered in broken glass when he got home. The only reason the windshield didn't break is because it is safety glass!

Stacia
04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Carol, I'm in Georgia. We're in the Atlanta area.

Tricia, is your sister's fil ok after all that??? I can't imagine driving w/ the windshield like that.

Paige, glad to hear all of you are ok, even if there is debris & mess to deal with.

Kathy White
04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I was driving home from Raleigh when the storm hit. I pulled into a chick-fil-a and went in and ate lunch and waited for the storm to pass over. At my son's Chic-fil-a in Raleigh they lost power and had to get customers in the back away from the windows. A tornado touched down very close to his store. Tornadoes hit several mobile home parks near my sister's home. Haven't heard yet how many injuries. A Lowe's building supply about an hour from here was totally leveled. Haven't heard yet about injuries there either. So sad for all families affected.:sad:

Tricia O
04-17-2011, 01:11 AM
Carol, I'm in Georgia. We're in the Atlanta area.

Tricia, is your sister's fil ok after all that??? I can't imagine driving w/ the windshield like that.

Paige, glad to hear all of you are ok, even if there is debris & mess to deal with.

She says he is okay.

Katie
04-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Thinking and praying for all of you as you clean up after the mess. Praising God for His protection of your families ~ :hcry: :group:

Esther-Alabama
04-17-2011, 02:17 PM
http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/fruitdale-community-remembers-storm-victims/1206251/Apr-16-2011_7-32-pm/

This is a link to the story about the family who died in the storm.

I know all these people in the news story. The red-headed teen girl crying in the beginning is my sister's niece. She is six weeks younger than my sister's son, who died (not in these storms). The teacher shown twice is a good friend of mine.

The school is my old school. I went there from the second grade till I graduated.

This is truly a community tragedy.

Tricia O
04-17-2011, 06:47 PM
Esther, I am so sad for your community! :sad:

Paige P
04-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Here's a picture taken of the tornado here (Tuscaloosa) when it was less than 1/2 a mile from our house (btw, a guy from Jim's office took it, not us ;) ).