PDA

View Full Version : Using coupons at the store ?

Debbie W
04-17-2011, 11:10 AM
When you get behind someone using a LOT of coupons how do you feel? Do you think OH NO!? I ask because of the reactions from people who have gotten in line behind me. When I first started using them I always chose a line with no one else to get through quick. Or a longer line if the store was very busy to dissuade people from getting behind me and being held up checking out.

I even warned people I would be using a LOT of coupons in case they didn't want to have to wait because I always excede the coupon allowed limit and a manager has to come over and okay the checkout. No one ever heeded the warning, but I am certain more than a few wish they had. Heck even I would hate to get in line behind me! :lol:

Usually I always turn to the people waiting behind me and thank them for their patience. But After two trips to walmart this week where during the first trip the checkwer kept sighing loudly and she checked off the coupons I if I could do something to make it easier for them.

I group all like items together and try to have all items that have a coupon where they need to know the price at the end of the checkout to make it easier.

The second trip was oh my goodness trying. I got in line at a checkout run by an older lady who wasn't sure how to do everything. Bad idea, don't get in an older ladies line because not only was she unsure of some things, she didn't understand you could use more than one coupon if you bought several of the same thing.

She also wasn't careful. I had to have her check the coupon stack twice for coupons she missed checking off. One was for over $4.00 and the other $1.50. The whole point of me using coupkins is to save money and over $5.00 not being checked off would have made my savings that much less.

Anyway it took forever and I could tell by the reactions of people behind me they were getting annoyed, and yet people kept getting in this line. I saved a very significant mount of money so I wasn't about to not use coupons. But after she was done I said thanks and slunk out of there. I didn't even turn and thank those waiting for their patience. I was embarrassed because it took so long.

So do you all hate getting behind a coupon user and is there some way I can make things easier for the checker so the checkout is smoother and goes faster? I have thought of shopping at 2 am, but that's just a little unfeasible. And I really don't want to be in the store during school hours.

Kat in Co
04-17-2011, 12:01 PM
I've never been behind someone who had so many that I grew annoyed with them. I think you're doing everything you can to make it easier for the people behind you. Maybe if you actually say, "I have 100 coupons, its going to take a much longer than it looks" (No, you dont have to count ;) ) Otherwise, they might think youre apologizing or warning them about the 2 or 4 that they themselves might have on any given week. To help the checkers go faster, maybe if you put the coupons so they are all facing the same way, not upside down or backwards, then the checker can find the barcode easier? I dont know, I never have so many coupons. Good on you tho, that you do!!
As for those checkers, its their job! In this economy, they should be happy to have one.
I'm afraid I haven't been any help. I say use your coupons with pride and don't worry about the ppl in line (you warned them!) or the checkers, (its their job!) Congrats on doing a good job couponing.

Jen in CO
04-17-2011, 12:48 PM
The only thing I think when I'm behind a person using a ton of coupons is, "I wish I was doing that!" :)

MichelleTN
04-17-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm afraid I haven't been any help. I say use your coupons with pride and don't worry about the ppl in line (you warned them!) or the checkers, (its their job!) Congrats on doing a good job couponing.

I agree :clap:

The only thing I think when I'm behind a person using a ton of coupons is, "I wish I was doing that!" :)

Me too :D

Joy in Alabama
04-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Wow! I think you should do a post about couponing! I don't know how to do it that well and think I wouldn't save any money with coupons.

I do hate to be behind someone with a lot of coupons and would appreciate it if I knew they were going to be using a lot of them so I could switch lines. But based on my son's experience as an associate in a dept. store and my own observations and habits, we are all in too much of a hurry and are not as courteous as we used to be. I wouldn't worry about the checker - what else has she got to do???

Tricia O
04-17-2011, 06:45 PM
I only had 16 coupons today & I was worried about taking up too much time too. :perplex: I actually didn't use some of the coupons I had because even with the coupon, the store brand was still cheaper.
Joy, you might find this helpful, especially since you are also in the south. :D

http://www.southernsavers.com/learn/

With coupons & sales, I brought my total from $216 to $113 at Winn-Dixie. It helps to match up coupons with sales if possible.

Jekka Renee
04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
I might warn people if they only have a few items, but otherwise, I don't worry. I'll smile at the person behind me to make sure they know I'm aware they exist and I am not doing this to put them off, but that's about the extent of my contact. Most places I shop at have a very fast system for coupons, and the cashier doesn't even glance at them unless something goes wrong (sometimes, even then, they'll just enter it by hand and not worry about checking to see if I have the item).

The one big thing I always make sure it do is find a line where the cashier is a younger male. Always. They are hands-down the best. Older ladies scare me unless I've checked out with them before and know they are capable (sadly, many are forced out of retirement and are just not cut out for the line of work) For some reason, the middle age women seem to be the meanest when it comes to coupons, although there are a few gems I've found throughout the years.

I think they key is to do what you did - group items together and plan ahead. It's the people who are sorting through their coupons WHILE they are at the checkout and actually making the cashier wait for them to find the right ones that are annoying. If the cashier messes up, it's not your fault - and they should be the ones making the apology.

Jodi B
04-17-2011, 07:25 PM

:yes: Me too.

With most of the coupons having bar codes on them, the process goes much easier than if a bunch of the coupons required the entry of the item's price (i.e., in a get an item for free coupon).

What I get frustrated with is when people can't figure out how to pay for something (don't have enough cash or their cc doesn't clear or there are issues with them paying by check). :perplex:

Rebecca in Orlando
04-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Well, if I were in line behind someone who had that many coupons, I would really appreciate a heads-up. I think that is just being courteous on your part.
But for the check out girl to be sighing and making her impatience that obvious, well, that is just rude.
I have a friend who coupons a lot, saves $395 on a $400 order..things like that! She always tells the checker that she has that many coupons, and asks them if they mind turning off their "open" light while they are ringing her purchases. She has always had success with this, and that way, no one gets in line behind her. She tells me it usually takes her about 15 min to get through the check-out process.

Maybe you SHOULD write a post explaining to us all here how to save so much with couponing. I'd love that!

Jana
04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
I so agree!

Carol S
04-18-2011, 12:19 AM
I would definitely appreciate a warning if someone is using a whole lot of coupons.

Shannon P
04-18-2011, 01:01 AM
I usually think it's payback for doing it to others.:lol:

Michele
04-18-2011, 07:33 AM

:roflol: ME TOO!!!!!

Laura F
04-18-2011, 01:21 PM
It doesn't bother me, but I would get out of line if it did. I use lots of coupons, too. Unfortunately at the commissary, you cannot choose your clerk. You are required to hand over coupons at the beginning, and last week I got a clerk who ready every. single. coupon. before she started scanning my items. Then she wanted to discuss every coupon as she was scanning it. This added 10 full minutes to my check-out, so I added an extra $1 to the bagger's tip. The kicker was when the clerk apologized to the man behind me for my amount of coupons. The best part was when he just smiled and said I should share my coupons with him. I still don't understand why coupons make clerks grumpy!

Julie Y
04-18-2011, 01:29 PM
If a person in front of me is using coupons, I always scoot up a little closer as they get close to totaling up because I always want to know how much they saved! :lol: