PDA

View Full Version : Recorder or Handbells?

Lindsey Carter
04-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I want my kids to have music lessons, but I can't afford it right now. I did take a music for teachers class in college and I think I could handle teaching my kids basic recorder or hand bells. Which should I choose? Does anyone have any good book recommendations or suggestions for this?

Jen in CO
04-17-2011, 12:46 PM
I think the recorder is a lot of fun, and there are TONS of books of music out there, even if you're pretty new to it!

In college, a couple of my girlfriends and I played recorder all the time. We were MAD for it, and played baroque trios, etc. We'd all learned how as kids, and it was so easy to pick it back up. Ah, the good old days. :)

Handbells might be great, too, I just don't have any experience to share about them.

CJ
04-17-2011, 02:28 PM
I have taught both and I would probably lean towards recorders. It would benefit them if they choose to move on to a band or orchestral instrument.

Handbells would be fun to add on later, tho. This set (http://www.amazon.com/Schylling-MHB-Musical-Hand-Bells/dp/B000MTA04U/ref=pd_cp_MI_1) is affordable and sounds fine for young ones. I have written several simple familiar tunes for this set of handbells. It would be a challenge for just 2 people to play 4 bells each, but it could be done. You appear to have 4 kids, so that's 2 bells each. Your kids could even figure out tunes they know and what other bells to harmonize with the melody - now THAT would be an impressive challenge for them.
:D

Lindsey Carter
04-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your ideas ladies. CJ, I only have 3 dc :) and my youngest is only 4. So maybe it would be better to do the recorder.
Can anyone suggest a good recorder book?