PDA

View Full Version : MOMS' BOOK THREAD --- Week 16 of 2011

Elysa Mac
04-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Sorry I'm late getting this up. Our 15 year old daughter left this morning for Thailand.:hcry:

So what'cha reading?

Ginger Lynn
04-18-2011, 09:31 AM
What's It Like to be Married to Me? and Other Dangerous Questions by Linda Dillow. It's a great book and a real eye opener!

Elysa Mac
04-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks for posting, Ginger!:)

BTW, is this a brand new "newbie" Ginger or the "oldie" Ginger coming back in another form? ;)

Ginger Lynn
04-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks for posting, Ginger!:)

BTW, is this a brand new "newbie" Ginger or the "oldie" Ginger coming back in another form? ;)

Brand new "newbie." Maybe I should change my user name. Can you do that?

Shauna
04-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm reading Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. The story is set in Kansas and won the 2011 Newbery Medal.

Stacia
04-18-2011, 12:49 PM
I have just started Well-Schooled in Murder (http://www.amazon.com/Well-Schooled-Murder-Inspector-Lynley-Elizabeth/dp/0553384813/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303071181&sr=1-1) (for my book club).

Laura F
04-18-2011, 01:10 PM
What's It Like to be Married to Me? and Other Dangerous Questions by Linda Dillow. It's a great book and a real eye opener!

I heard the author speak on Focus on the Family. You'll have to let us know how the book is.

Laura F
04-18-2011, 01:12 PM
I've just started a book that Negin recommended. Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran is set in Ireland and blends Iranian, Italian, and Irish characters. I'm enjoying it so far. Oh, and the recipes at the beginning of each chapter look delicious.

Ginger Lynn
04-18-2011, 01:19 PM
I heard the author speak on Focus on the Family. You'll have to let us know how the book is.

Oh, this is my second go around! It's wonderful. Let me know if you want to know anything else about it! I am going to buy it for our church library.

Elysa Mac
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Brand new "newbie." Maybe I should change my user name. Can you do that?

Well I'm glad to see you posting!:yes:

And I THINK there is a way to change your user name, but not sure.

Elysa Mac
04-18-2011, 02:13 PM
I am still reading ONE THOUSAND GIFTS. I've been recommending it to people left and right. You know, a lot of Christian books just would apply to the lives of certain people...parents or married people or people struggling with addictions or people interested in missions. But this is one of those books that I think ALL of us can benefit from.:thumb::thumb:

In fact, I'm so impressed --- even though I'm just a few chapters into it --- that I bought a copy of it for my daughter to read during her Thailand missions trip. I think all the word pictures are really going to appeal to her artistic side.

KathleenM
04-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Ginger - welcome, and please don't feel that you have to change your user name. :) Glad you've joined us! :hi:

I am reading part two of the Kristin Lavransdottir trilogy: The Wife. I enjoyed taking a break between the two books, but glad I didn't go any longer - there are too many Norwegin names to keep up with!

Ginger Lynn
04-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Ginger - welcome, and please don't feel that you have to change your user name. :) Glad you've joined us! :hi:

Thanks Kathleen! The funny thing is, I have wanted to change my name my whole life!

Elysa Mac
04-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks Kathleen! The funny thing is, I have wanted to change my name my whole life!

:lol:

KathleenM
04-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Anne from Anne of Green Gables wanted to change her name to Cordelia. May we start calling you that instead? :lol:

Stacia
04-18-2011, 05:38 PM

:hi: Hi, Ginger, and welcome! It's always fun to see new faces (and old faces too :lol:) in the book thread.

Awww, don't change your name! I think Ginger is a lovely, warm name. (And a capital letter 'G' is my favorite letter to write in cursive. How's that for an odd intro fact from me? :D)

Ginger Lynn
04-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Anne from Anne of Green Gables wanted to change her name to Cordelia. May we start calling you that instead? :lol:

I think I'll stick with Ginger! But thanks for the idea. If I was going to change my name I would probably change it Sally Anne. That is what I started to use for my user name here, but I wanted to be honest!

Thanks Stacia. Funny when I sign my name I use a lower case g at the for both g's the first one is just bigger!

Jocelyne
04-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I finally managed to pick up a book after several weeks off. Trying to get in a few more good ones before my new babe makes his/her appearance in a couple months (though reading and nursing do seem to go hand in hand in the beginning for me ;))

Right now I am just over halfway through The Help. I'll probably finish that up in the next couple days. Not sure what I will read next...

MelissaSS
04-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Still working on Middlemarch :lol: I'm enjoying it, its just not something I can easily read with a lot of distractions, so that limits my reading time.

Negin
04-19-2011, 05:21 AM
I've just started a book that Negin recommended. Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran is set in Ireland and blends Iranian, Italian, and Irish characters. I'm enjoying it so far. Oh, and the recipes at the beginning of each chapter look delicious.
Laura, hope you like it, and yes, the recipes are :yum:.
It's not THE most incredible book, but it is sweet and light.

I started and gave up on a book few days ago. Can't remember the title. But it failed my 10% rule. :)

I'm about halfway through Faceless Killers (http://www.amazon.com/Faceless-Killers-Henning-Mankell/dp/0307742857/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303204833&sr=8-1) and I like it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wvTRwrnZWn0/TD3eWOVsYFI/AAAAAAAAAsw/w6VYfoXV_MI/s320/Faceless+Killers.jpg

JuliaT
04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
I finished 'Olive Kitteridge' and "Peace From Broken Pieces' by Iyanla VanZant last week. I am now reading "The Immortal Life of Hennrietta Lacks' by Rebecca Skloot. What an interesting read!

Welcome, Ginger! You will find lots of good reading suggestions here on this thread.

Gitel in nj
04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I am now reading "The Immortal Life of Hennrietta Lacks' by Rebecca Skloot. What an interesting read!

Welcome, Ginger! You will find lots of good reading suggestions here on this thread.

Delurking to say that The Immortal Life of Hennrietta Lacks is very interesting. It makes for a great discussion and I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it.

Last week I finished Room and Sold...Not exactly sure what I will be picking up next :unsure:

Ginger Lynn
04-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Just wanted to point out that I got my name changed. It's not any better than it was, but...:lol:

AndreaL
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
I read The Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah last week. I love when fiction gives me a good history lesson as well. This one taught me about WWII Russia.

Now I'm reading Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy.

Andrea

Elysa Mac
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Delurking to say that The Immortal Life of Hennrietta Lacks is very interesting. It makes for a great discussion and I can't wait to hear what you have to say about it.

I thought of you FIAR gals when the author was on Tavis Smiley's PBS talk show several days ago.

Elysa Mac
04-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Just wanted to point out that I got my name changed. It's not any better than it was, but...:lol:

It is absolutely fine!:yes::D:yes:

Elysa Mac
04-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I have now started the newest NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY BOOK. As with all the others, I am loving THE SATURDAY BIG TENT WEDDING PARTY.:kiss:

Michele
04-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi! I attempted to post from my iPad in bed this morning (before coffee and umm...) but I"m trying again! I finished a few books last week. FINALLY off the list are One Thousand Gifts, Zero Regrets and The Distant Hours.. I've almost finished The Winter of Our Disconnect. This week is almost over but I think that I'm going to read My Name is Mary Sutter. I'll keep you posted! Happy reading everyone! Can you believe that we are on the 16th week of the year already?:eek:

Ronette in CA
04-22-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm way late this week because I was at a tournament out of town.:)

I am reading Respectable Sins (http://www.amazon.com/Respectable-Sins-Confronting-We-Tolerate/dp/160006292X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1303498145&sr=1-1) by Jerry Bridges. Wow! It's so convicting but so encouraging at the same time.

I'm about to start Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives (http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Water-Miracle-Saving-Childrens/dp/0142004111/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303498237&sr=1-1) by Michael Ruhlman.

Elysa Mac
04-22-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm about to start Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives (http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Water-Miracle-Saving-Childrens/dp/0142004111/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303498237&sr=1-1) by Michael Ruhlman.

Ooh...what's that about, Ronette? Sounds fascinating.

Negin
04-23-2011, 05:09 AM
I have now started the newest NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY BOOK. As with all the others, I am loving THE SATURDAY BIG TENT WEDDING PARTY.:kiss:
Elysa, I'm enjoying these also, but you're much further along than me. :)

Ronette in CA
04-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Ooh...what's that about, Ronette? Sounds fascinating.

It's an inside look at the world of pediatric heart surgeons dealing with congenital heart defects at a hospital in Cleveland. The author is following one of the most renown surgeons in the world in that field.

It's interesting because I know this story from the parents' point of view and this book gives me the story from the other point of view.

It does have some "real life language" in it to be aware of if you decide to read it.;)

Elysa Mac
04-23-2011, 07:55 PM
It's an inside look at the world of pediatric heart surgeons dealing with congenital heart defects at a hospital in Cleveland. The author is following one of the most renown surgeons in the world in that field.

It's interesting because I know this story from the parents' point of view and this book gives me the story from the other point of view.

It does have some "real life language" in it to be aware of if you decide to read it.;)

Thanks for the info, Ronette. :)

Elysa Mac
04-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Elysa, I'm enjoying these also, but you're much further along than me. :)

I dread the day he writes the very last one. :(

BTW, did you know that he has written a children's series? We've read one, AKIMBO AND THE SNAKE. We especially enjoyed it since we'll be moving to Africa and it is about a Botswana boy and his everyday life adventures.

Oh...and I was thinking of you yesterday evening. On Public Radio, a woman was being interviewed who is originally from Iran but had to leave the country due to political issues. She has recorded an album of lullabye songs, some in Farsi and others in languages from other Middle Eastern countries.
They were beautiful.

Negin
04-24-2011, 04:43 AM
did you know that he has written a children's series?
Elysa, no, had no idea about his children's series. Thanks for sharing that. :)

we'll be moving to Africa
Long-term? When?
This is exciting! :clap:

On Public Radio, a woman was being interviewed who is originally from Iran but had to leave the country due to political issues. She has recorded an album of lullabye songs, some in Farsi and others in languages from other Middle Eastern countries.
They were beautiful.
I wonder if it was Shirin Ebadi. How interesting. I should go online. I used to listen to NPR every morning while making bfast. But lately, I've been obsessed with music, music, music ... I do miss my NPR. Thanks for reminding me to listen more often. :D

Elysa Mac
04-25-2011, 01:15 AM
Long-term? When?
This is exciting! :clap:

I wonder if it was Shirin Ebadi. How interesting. I should go online. I used to listen to NPR every morning while making bfast. But lately, I've been obsessed with music, music, music ... I do miss my NPR. Thanks for reminding me to listen more often. :D

My husband retires at the end of 2013 and we'll be moving over then!:D

I don't remember her name. It wasn't on the news show. It was one of the hour long shows that interviews people for their stories. I'm blanking on the name. I'll try to get it for you.