PDA

View Full Version : The King's Speech movie.....for anyone wondering about going

maria maria
04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
So, I spent days reading reviews and blogs and such wonderiing about seeing or not seeing this movie w/my children. (youngest is eleven) We went to the PG-13 version and I walked out thinking "WHY did I spend anytime at all agaonizing over seeing this movie or not?"

I know seeing this movie is a personal choice, as is seeing any movie, so I am far from trying to talk anyone into going at all. I am hoping to help those that feel as I did a few days ago to have a better perspective and give some useful information. (I wanted to go but was simply concerned about the language which really did turn out to be no deal at all)

Anyway, I thought it might help anyone wondering as I was to know that I have no regrets at all about seeing the movie. There is little way to fully convey how unoffensive, in any way, the movie is at all. And for what it is worth, as a family we see little television (PBS, Andy Griffith, etc) and few movies (Narnia, Nim's Island, Charlie and the Choc. Factory and such) which I only state for anyone wondering.

For anyone interested in educational go-alongs for the movie, check out the actual movie site which has a link to educational info at the bottom left of the front page, as well as link to the original recording of King George VI speech. http://www.kingsspeech.com/
These sites also have great video as well as online discussion information that works great for extending studies of this time period/event.

http://www.damaris.org/kingsspeech

http://www.filmeducation.org/events/previous_events/the_kings_speech/ (see educational resources link to left)

http://annmic.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/the-kings-speech/

I hope this is helpful. I am so glad we went to see this in the theater. :yes: :clap: :thumb:

Paige P
04-18-2011, 05:01 PM
I saw it on the airplane coming back from Holland (and then encouraged dh to watch it on his way home). It was FABULOUS :clap: IMO it was regretful that they had 2 minutes, literally 2 scenes (including 1 rant) of foul language that was the ONLY THING wrong with this movie. I surely hope they made an edited version so my dc (later) can watch it. I know they would love it when they hit preteen/teen years. The historical significance is great.

Dh and I both really, really enjoyed it and both felt it was an absolute shame that they "ruined it" with the language in just a couple of places. I do get WHY since the premise was that the King had to break through psychological barriers and "release" his anger.

Anyway, Maria, I agree with you :yes:

Nancy Ann
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM
I loved that movie, I didn't know it was controversial?

The two minute swearing part made me laugh so hard I thought I would choke. But, I understand many people don't like that. I also, usually do not like bad language, especially A LOT, but in this case it just seemed funny!

Negin
04-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Double post, sorry.

Negin
04-19-2011, 05:15 AM
The two minute swearing part made me laugh so hard I thought I would choke. But, I understand many people don't like that. I also, usually do not like bad language, especially A LOT, but in this case it just seemed funny!
Nancy Ann, I agree. :lol:
I think it was Stacia, who said that it's wasn't pointless swearing. He really needed to vent/get his anger and frustrations out.

Dh and I saw it first.
We watched it again - dc and my parents a few weeks ago. Loved it. Warned everyone ahead of time about the cursing, since knowing our dc, they'd start giggling and nudging elbows, which they did. Me also. Plus, my parents. I always laugh when I shouldn't be laughing. ;) :lol:
It's an amazing movie. Love it, love it, love it. :clap:

Maria, thanks for those links. :)

Sheri
04-19-2011, 08:15 AM
I haven't seen it yet, but if there were only two problem scenes I would simply watch it, notate when they were and skip 'em when they came up so the kids/teens could watch.

In fact when do this with ALL movies. Sit knowing when a scene is coming up and just skip it. Mike has been talking about making a website that tell exactly where the scenes are because he knows we aren't the only parents out there that do this. (For what it's worth, truly the only scenes that we tend to skip are s*x, the little guys won't watch anything with cursing (at least not purposely) and Mike has some weird word limit. I don't know what it was. I know he joked the other day "Oh well yeah...once it hits 100 F words it becomes questionable" But I know that was a joke. LOL)

Paige P
04-19-2011, 08:32 AM
I the little guys won't watch anything with cursing (at least not purposely) and Mike has some weird word limit. I don't know what it was. I know he joked the other day "Oh well yeah...once it hits 100 F words it becomes questionable" But I know that was a joke. LOL)

Well, in this "venting" scene, the King says the F word about 30 times in succession (I didn't count, so I honestly don't know how many). It's a minute or two of just a litany of cursing. Then it's said briefly in one other scene. That's it. Truely, if you just skip those two minutes, there's nothing else "bad" in the movie.

Dawn Gilmore
04-19-2011, 10:14 AM
I've heard that they are creating a version that has those two scenes removed so that it is more family friendly. I don't know when it will be available, though. That said, it was an excellent movie, and VERY well done. :thumb: :thumb:

Erika in TX
04-19-2011, 02:10 PM
I've seen the PG-13 version and loved it. As a rule, I choose not to see R rated movies and many PG-13s as well. This movie is commendable! Yes, there was a scene in which he was cursing non-stop(but after the first word it was muted...you could still read his lips thoug), but it was not directed at anyone and was a way to show that he could do so without stammering. I feel it was an important part of the story and his overcoming his problem.

I would let my older dc watch it. :)

maria maria
04-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I've heard that they are creating a version that has those two scenes removed so that it is more family friendly. I don't know when it will be available, though. That said, it was an excellent movie, and VERY well done. :thumb: :thumb:

Dawn, the PG-13 version is the one we saw. There is nothing deleted (visually) from the movie, which is important I think. The language (audible) is changed.

I am hoping this PG-13 version is released on DVD and am optimistic that it will be as it was made so that children (esp. those that struggle w/speech impediments) can see the movie.

It is such a lovely, well made movie. I for one am thrilled to see such a deserving movie receive so many awards, specifically Oscars.

I look forward to seeing the movie again. We saw the absolute last showing or I would have, right on the spot, purchased tickets and seen it again after we saw it the first time. :D

Jo in PRC
04-19-2011, 11:08 PM
We watched it with our youngest...lovely movie. :clap: