PDA

View Full Version : completing subjects early...?

AmyinWI
04-19-2011, 12:38 AM
some of my kids are finishing up things early. high school ds finished his science and grammar books already.

dd11, just finished up her spelling book and science today...

what do you do when this happens? It is only April,and we plan to school until the last week in May. should I add in a mini unit, or just let them double up on the things they need to complete? I have a feeling they will be done with everything mid May.

LillianD
04-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Same thing here, not sure what to do!

WendyW
04-19-2011, 09:10 AM
What I do depends on the subject and how early they finished. Most things, when they're done, they're done. No more of that subject. They use the extra time to double up on something they are behind in. They enjoy seeing their list shrink as the end of the year approaches.

If it's a young one who is still mastering the basics, I'll find something else to fill the gap and keep practicing that skill. If there is still a month or more of school, and the subject is something like math, I'll often start on the next book. Ds1 went through 3 grades of math every 2 yrs in elementary grades.

Trudy
04-19-2011, 09:21 AM
We are facing the same thing here this year. It's never happened before so I'm not sure what we are going to do.

Amanda in RI
04-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Well, the issue I'm facing is that next year, we'll be participating in a co-op, and they won't have the class list for that finalized until May or June. So I can't really buy curriculum until I know what classes they can take at co-op.

Soooo (since Eli finished his year of math TODAY), I think we'll be taking some field trips, getting outside, watching documentaries, readings... Sounds like a nice, relaxing way to end the year. :)

Laura F
04-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Why not let them move on to the next level? Or choose an independent study?

Anne
04-19-2011, 11:05 AM
We move on to the next level.

Jana
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
You have several options, you can let them move on to the next level, double up on subjects not yet completed or just congratulate them on a job well done and sticking to that particular subject and completing it early and tell them they won't have to work on that subject again until you start next years session, whatever month that may be.

Judyn
04-19-2011, 11:51 AM
I would either have them move up to the next level, or spend more time on something that you "can't practice enough"...such as their foriegn language, instrument, etc.

I would also consider allowing them to spend that extra time serving someone...mowing a lawn of a shut in, etc.

BeckyOK
04-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Sometimes we just picked up the next book.

This year we will be netflixing some great historical fiction, working on school scrapbook/yearbook, field trips-having a more relaxed schedule. :clap:

Susan Seaman
04-19-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't think I've ever had that "problem" :lol:. Maybe in a single subject - but definitely NOT across the board. So if it ever happens here, I'd just say - "Have a nice summer, students - see you next year!"

Donna H
04-19-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't think I've ever had that "problem" :lol:. Maybe in a single subject - but definitely NOT across the board. So if it ever happens here, I'd just say - "Have a nice summer, students - see you next year!"

:lol: Me too!

TinaM
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
We continue on to the next level. Dd1 finished her math book earlier this month. I ordered her new one and while waiting for it, we played math games and she did worksheets. I would do this in any subject they happen to finish early.

maria maria
04-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Well, not sure if this will give you any ideas or perspecitve, but maybe it will help.

I know of folks that live where they are required to use specific types of curr. or cover certain things in certain years. These families are unschoolers, so in order to meet the states requirements, while still living their unschool lives, they simply work through the curriculum daily and cover a years worth in about 6-8weeks max. They were not rushed, did all they were supposed to do and got it out of the way so then they could get on with their lives learning in an unschooling way.

So, all that to say, you all can do whatever you want. You have time, time to live, learn, pursue passions/interests/etc. There is not a right or wrong answer for where you are at the moment. Enjoy the freedom to choose what works for now. Ask your daughter what she would like to do in place of the spelling and science. You may be plesantly surprised at the adventures you all have w/this extra time. :)

Hope this helps some. :)

LillianD
04-19-2011, 08:36 PM
This year we will be netflixing some great historical fiction, working on school scrapbook/yearbook, field trips-having a more relaxed schedule. :clap:

Ooooh, that sounds really nice! We haven't really had much time for any of that this year, would be nice to though!:clap:

AmyinWI
04-19-2011, 10:16 PM

lol not here!! ... unfortunately for my 11yo, she will be doing math,and some writing all summer! I decided no more playing catch up in September, she is already behind in math and writing levels.

I think I'll let my highschool son get away with being finished in his subjects. he just started Civil Air patrol and Drivers Ed. and has quite a lot of studying ahead of him, then in May /June he has play rehearsals several days a week, so at least he won't be sitting around playing video games,etc.