PDA

View Full Version : Oh ladies, please help. What is this & what can I do?

Christy
04-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Over the past 6-8 months or so (I think) my thumbs have been seeming to get 'locked' and when I gently 'force' them to move them they pop. This is still happening but now they are staying very sore the majority of the time, especially when I first wake up, and ache when I have to bend them. I can tell it is getting progressively worse.

I'm 35. Surely this isn't arthritis already. This bad, this quickly? Have any of you heard of this, and if so, is there anything I can do or something I can take to help?

Thanks ladies. This is always the first place I come when I have a question and 99.9% of the time I'm so glad I did!

:kiss:

Gitel in nj
04-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Trigger finger (http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00024)

Christy
04-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Trigger finger (http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00024)

Hmmmm... that does sound quite a bit like it. Thank goodness I don't have the problem that's shown in the picture with the person's finger bent to where they can't straighten it. Everything else though sounds pretty spot on. Thanks Gitel. I've never even heard of Trigger Finger, well, except in old western movies! LOL!

See, I knew where to come. Now, what to do about it? They are really hurting today. Guess I'll start out with some Acetemenophine.

Thanks again Gitel. :group:

Gitel in nj
04-19-2011, 09:04 AM
you're welcome Christi.

My dad had it and had surgery. My father-in-law also has it but he did not have it taken care of, then he had so many other medical issues befall him that trigger finger is not really high up on the list of things to take care of. :sad:

Like you...I am in the early stages with my thumbs :unsure:

Amanda in RI
04-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Yep, that's what it sounds like. My mom & my aunt had to have surgery for it.

Christy
04-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Oh man, surgery? So it probably won't get better on its own?

Gitel in nj
04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh man, surgery? So it probably won't get better on its own?

I don't know Christi...I imagine if you can be aware and keep the inflammation down in your body as much as possible it might not get so bad that you need the surgery.

My dad was in his late 60's before he needed the surgery..of course he was not using computers, cell phones or texting for most of his life :eek: I don't think the surgery is a very big deal. I think they snip the tendon. He didn't need a cast or anything...