PDA

View Full Version : cable or dish or what? and phone?



Robin in Colorado
04-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Friends, like many of you we are trying to save money. We rarely watch tv, and would like to get rid of our satellite. However, there is one channel that we do watch: The Food Network. It's a big family event that we all look forward to and we watch it every Sunday night. And if we watch tv any other time, 90% of the time it's this network. The other 10% of the time it's either HGTV or sports.

So, is there something we can do to cut down on our expenses and still get the Food Network? We looked at Net Flix because they are now offering tv programs, but they don't have Food Network.

And if we want to have home phone service, is there a way to do it more cheaply?

Thanks!

CJ
04-19-2011, 11:15 PM
We used to only have Netflix and that was fine. Then our Verizon internet got horrible worse so we switched to Charter Internet because they had a special for $29.99/mo. Then Charter told us there was a $10 fee because we didn't also have cable. But they also told us basic cable could be tacked on for $10/mo. So we did that because it was silly to pay a fee for NOT having cable when it was the same price to have a little cable.

The guy came to install it and then apologized for the channels not being right. He explained the 6 channels in our neighborhood leak thru despite their "traps" so we would be getting HGTV, Food Network, TV Land and others. My kids were thrilled because their favorite channels are HGTV, Food Network and PBS. Digital antennas don't work in our area so we had lost PBS with the switch-over.

That said - you could drop cable and sat and do Netflix - there is a TON of stuff to watch and we love it. You could also visit Food Networks website and see what shows you can watch online:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-network-full-episodes/videos/index.html

If a show is on dvd, you can get that thru Netflix or Amazon on Demand. We have a Roku so we can play rentals and Netflix watch now stuff on our tv and not just a computer. You may be able to find some food shows at Amazon on Demand. You can rent some per episode for 99 cents or 1.99.

We have long distance cards for LD and our phone is basic thru Frontier. Our cell phones are Tracfones. It depends on what options you have where you live, but we pay a lot less than our neighbors because of how we're doing things.

Jekka Renee
04-20-2011, 05:46 AM
We got rid of TV about two years ago (ours isn't digital, and I don't have a converter box, so we get nothing). I thought I'd really miss HGTV - the only thing I really watched other than PBS kids. I found out that their website, along with Hulu.com has plenty. We have Netflix as well, which I do love. Now, a few months after we got rid of TV, my husband lost his job and we were internet less for 8 months... that was hard. Perhaps it put things in perspective, because, after getting my internet back, I never missed TV again.

We don't have a home phone, so I hope others have good tips there!

Alicia
04-20-2011, 08:36 AM
We pay for our cable, high-speed internet, and home phone in a bundle from the same company, which saves us alot of money.

DD in IL
04-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Can't help here;we have rabbit ears still.

Melanie
04-20-2011, 09:09 AM
After having Direct TV (with dvr) for several years, we now have basic cable and Netflix. We are much happier now! I feel like I have more control over what the kids watch and I am really enjoying instant viewing. It has also saved us a ton of $$ (direct tv is expensive!).

Let me know if you want me to check to see if any of your favorite shows are available on Netflix.

Amy in Ohio
04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
I watch lots of cable shows online and also through Netflix. :) I think someone else mentioned it, but here's a link to all the full episodes currently on the Food Network website. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food-network-full-episodes/videos/index.html

Robin in Colorado
04-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Thank you. This is a big help. It's funny that our two tv faves are the Food Network (whole family) and sports (Kitty and DH are serious Broncos fans).