PDA

View Full Version : purchasing airline tickets online, but don't have passports yet

AmyinWI
04-20-2011, 01:30 AM
my ds and I are going to London UK in June. I am still waiting for passports (should be here in another week) but I was wanting to order the airline tickets now, before prices get any higher.

So I booked the tickets 2 days ago on the American Airlines website.. was waiting for them to switch from "purchased " to "ticketed", but now I just got an email saying there was a problem with processing them. Anyone know if it could be because I didn't enter passport info? It didnt' seem to be required info when I ordered the tickets. I am freaking out that something is going to go wrong and our trip is not going to happen. Arrggghhh!!! I really have not done much traveling or dealing with Airlines, so I have no clue if this is a typical issue or not .

AmyinWI
04-20-2011, 01:31 AM
one more thing I'm wondering.... I used my debit card to order the tickets. Could that be the problem,that I didn't use a credit card?

Sally in Oz
04-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Ordinarily you don't need to put in passport numbers when you initially book the tickets...

If you didn't see an Asterix denoting it at as compulsory field, that wouldn't be the problem.

Can't imagine it is a problem with the debit card either, unless of course the cost of the flights were more than your daily limit?

Perhaps save yourself some stress and ring to ask them what the problem is... :group:

Kendra AU
04-20-2011, 05:57 AM
I'd call. Chances are it was the debit card. When we lived in the US and in an apartment.. oh my heavens above, the trouble we use to have! All because some people would put G-3 or G3 and it HAD to be the way the bank wrote our address or it would NOT go through. It was beyond maddening!!

Anyway, I'd call and ask what the problem was. :)

Alicia
04-20-2011, 08:06 AM
The debit card shouldn't be the problem. We have flown several times, including to London, in the last few years. We have always purchased the tickets with our debit card.

AmyinWI
04-20-2011, 10:30 PM
well my sister lives in London,and when she and her dh fly here they are required to put in passport info up front... that's why I was wondering.

However... finally got in touch with a live person today and the debit card was the problem. Our bank has a $$ limit per day, so they were able to increase the limit for a 24 hour period. Now when the airline sends my confirmation of payment email, I will relax!

Kendall in GA
05-01-2011, 10:56 AM
o.... I used my debit card to order the tickets.

Off-topic a bit...I'd recommend that you NOT use a debit card to make big ticket purchases in the future. In the event your number is stolen, someone will have direct access to your bank account. Also, your debit card may not have the same consumer protections as a credit card, i.e. you may not be able to get your money back as easily, or at all.