PDA

View Full Version : Soul Surfer-excellent

DD in IL
04-21-2011, 06:36 AM
I took my dgds to see this last night. It was a very good, clean movie.

Sarah in FL
04-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Loved the homeschooling discussion. :D

TinaM
04-21-2011, 07:19 AM
My bro took dd's this past weekend. They all loved it!

Luisa
04-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Cool:cool: thanks!

Gwen in Texas
04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Loved the book; can't wait to see the movie!

AmyinWI
04-21-2011, 09:50 PM
I had heard some homeschool moms discussing this yesterday- they were disappointed at some of the things (bikinis for ex... which you will have on a beach...:unsure: ) and that the Christian aspect was really downplayed. but that's not really suprising to me at all.

maria maria
04-21-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing it too! :clap: I'm also another that enjoyed the book and enjoy Bethany's website.

I read that Bethany does a voice over at the end or during the credits in which she thanks Jesus. I also think that for those that have not read her book, that the movie might prompt them to do so and the book is full of her witness for Jesus. Or that people will be led to go to her website that has a full page spread (on the opening page) about how to become a Christian. She and her family played a close roll in the making of the movie and are very pleased with it. They do not water down their witness at all, so regardless of how the movie might seem to some, I think it can't help but point to Jesus either directly or indirectly.

As for the bikinis.....it is a cultural thing. Living in Hawaii and not wearing a bikini would be odd, especially coming from a surfing family. It frustrates and saddens me when cultural ideas are attached to "being a Christian". I have seen a clip from the movie in which Bethany and a friend are shopping for swimsuits and the friend pulls out a quite small bikini to which Bethany says with surprise "That looks like an eye patch!" then goes on to tell her friend she will be showing off more than her smooth moves on the waves if she wears that. I really think if folks have read her book and know anything at all about Bethany that they will not think a thing of the bikinis. As I said, it is a cultural thing.

I have known of few people that have more of a consistent witness than Bethany. Her heart for Jesus and love for people shines so brightly that it is blinding. :cool:

Rachel Jane
04-22-2011, 06:31 AM
Loved the book; can't wait to see the movie!

:yes:

Gwen in Texas
04-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Thank you, Maria, for expressing your thoughts so beautifully! As always, you bless me. :group:

DD in IL
04-22-2011, 09:58 AM
The bikinis were little but the girls were not falling out of them so it wasn't as bad as the V. Secret TV commercial. I thought the Christian aspect was handled pretty well...definitely an influence in their lives without being too strong.

Amanda K
04-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I don't think the Christian aspect was downplayed at all! It actually shocked me that there was so much Christianity in it, coming from Hollywood and all. :clap:
The real Hamilton family was at our local Christian radio station being interviewed the day before the movie came out. The part where the dad is sitting beside her hospital bed reading the Bible....the producers originally blacked that out so you couldn't tell it was a Bible. When the Hamilton family saw the movie, they didn't like it at all and demanded that it be changed so that you could clearly see it was a Bible he was reading. :clap:
Awesome movie!!!! Yes, you do see a lot of skin, but I agree with the above poster. It is a cultural thing, and you're gonna see that if you take your kids to the beach. Probably worse.