PDA

View Full Version : What to wear...

rachelmn
04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I have the EXCITING:clap::clap::D opportunity to volunteer at Hospice as a patient/family worker in a care center and I am SO excited. This is the field I have dreamed of getting into for the last few years! SO, I have an interview on Wednesday next week! WHAT do I wear? I don't want to wear a skirt, but dress pants, but what on top? And what colors? Color? No color? I mean...I want to keep in mind where the position is held.

I haven't been to an interview in 14 years! :lol: My standard uniform of long sleeve tshirt and jeans aren't quiet what I think they are looking for. ;)

Thanks for your help!

Rachel Jane
04-21-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=1b97eae&cmOrigId=1bbe8d8&cmTypeFlag=RichRel&cmCatID=70656|80480
A blouse, but not a foufy one. You want to look capable, neat and finished, but not so dressy that you can't be of real help.
Wear flats or low heels.

Marcia
04-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Love the shirt RJ posted. I'm so excited for you! And what a great opportunity. :group:

Rachel Jane
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
deleted post. I thought this was the same blouse for a lower price.

JavaJackie
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Ann Taylor Loft is my go to for nicer than "mom" clothes. I would go with neutral colors...something like this (http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=32300&N=1200006&pCategoryId=3359&categoryId=200&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_200&loc=TN&defaultColor=Light%20Smokey%20Rose&defaultSizeType=Regular)

JavaJackie
04-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Or This (http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=30622&Nr=AND(CAT_SALE_FLAG:Y)&N=1200044&pCategoryId=3364&categoryId=271&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_271&loc=TN&defaultColor=Fresh%20Navy&defaultSizeType=Regular)

I am not sure I love this or just how gorgeous the model looks in it. Love her skin!

April Marie
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM
congratulations, rachel - that is exciting! :clap:
good luck on your interview - i know you will do well
(no matter what you're wearing :))
your genuine passion for the field that you love will come through . . .

rachelmn
04-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks everyone! I went to Ann Taylor and found a pair of pants that actually FIT! :D I'm going to try and find a shirt elsewhere, now that I kind of have direction! :group:

Ronette in CA
04-21-2011, 08:18 PM
What a blessing, Rachel!!

When my grandma was on hospice, everyone who worked with her wore dark slacks, a solid colored blouse and a sweater if needed.

Hospice was such an amazing blessing in our lives!

Gwen in Texas
04-21-2011, 08:26 PM
My folks' hospice nurse just wears her regular clothes. She is pretty trendy and usually has on nice pants with a stylish, colorful top. And cute flats. :)

I'm excited for you! Bless you for serving in this field. I soooo appreciate what hospice has meant for my parents.

Ami
04-21-2011, 09:03 PM
My mom is a hospice nurse and I know it takes an incredibly special person to work in that field. You'll be wonderful :group:

rachelmn
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Thank you for your more then kind words friends. :group:

rachelmn
04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Just wanted to update you all!! :D I GOT IT! :D:clap: Thanks so much for the support, I'm SO happy...:hcry: The interview couldn't have gone better if I had scripted it. So my training start in May and then I'm off to do what they need me to do! :)

Anyway, thanks again. Your help and words were so helpful!:group:

Rachel Jane
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Just wanted to update you all!! :D I GOT IT! :D:clap: Thanks so much for the support, I'm SO happy...:hcry: The interview couldn't have gone better if I had scripted it. So my training start in May and then I'm off to do what they need me to do! :)

:clap::clap: woo hoo for you! :clap::clap:

Ami
04-27-2011, 01:45 PM
:hop: :group: :hop:

Stacia
04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Fabulous! Congrats to you! :group::)

Kendall in GA
05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Just wanted to update you all!! :D I GOT IT! :D:clap:

:clap: :D

April Marie
05-01-2011, 01:36 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!! :clap: :D

Carol Ryan
05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I am so happy for you! Woohooo! :hop: :)

So, what will you be doing for them? I don't graduate with my masters in professional counseling for another year, so it will be a while before I can do anything "official" but so look forward to getting out there and helping make a difference for someone.

I would love to know if there's anything those of us without our degrees yet can do in the meantime.

Congratulations!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

You will be such a blessing to these patients and their families. :hcry:

Katie
05-02-2011, 11:43 AM

I'm so thankful you got the volunteer position, Rachel! What a blessing you will be to so many! :hcry:

rachelmn
05-02-2011, 12:55 PM
So, what will you be doing for them? I don't graduate with my masters in professional counseling for another year, so it will be a while before I can do anything "official" but so look forward to getting out there and helping make a difference for someone. I would love to know if there's anything those of us without our degrees yet can do in the meantime.

Well, Carol, I'm not done with my degree yet either, but I know this is where my heart is and friends encouraged me to jump in now. :) So, I will be volunteering doing patient/family care. I will be holding hands of patients towards the end, respite care when the family needs a break and can't leave their loved one alone or they just need a nap, organizing, basically whatever needs done. I wanted to work in bereavement, but they didn't need anyone on that side, and really, I like working with the before process anyway. I am going to be in the home and in a care center. I'm really looking forward to the training too. So much to learn. My interviewer told me just a bit of what I need to know and I'm really glad for the 20 hours of information that's coming! ;) So, I think it's a great area to get some training in no matter what you want to do, and they sure do need help! :)

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement friends! :group: I totally realize that this is going to be one of those things that God will have to be constantly holding my hand, and I'll be in a perpetual state of prayer. No other way to approach it. I just hope I can some how make it easier for those who are walking this hard road.