PDA

View Full Version : getting a mini-vacation

Rachel
04-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Would anyone here ever want to host a FIAR sister for a mini-vacation? Just curious...

ETA: If you could go on a mini-vacation, where would you go? and why?

Rachel Jane
04-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Well, I would host, but she'd just have the same life here as home...just a different set of kids. :unsure: I am not sure that would be much of a vacation for her. Mine are older though, so we could ditch them and go kayaking or to the beach. Did you mean entire families?

I have always wanted to show up at Kendall's home school group since I was accidentally on the list for a year. I'd love to see all of the Georgia gals. :kiss:
'course I'd love to go to Grenada and do yoga on the beach with Negin. I like to visit Colorado and do a little hiking. Josanne is in the states visiting her dad. I'd love to go there too.

Maybe you should have asked where I don't want to go!

Rachel
04-21-2011, 03:07 PM
RJ - No, the entire family wouldn't come, just the one FIAR sister for a little get away from home time. ;)

Candace C
04-21-2011, 04:24 PM
If you are offering for me to come there - I'm there, in a heartbeat!! HA HA!! :lol:

I don't have a spare room, but if it was someone that I had built a relationship with I would love to have company! We could go to the mountains one day, shop, go for coffee...maybe find a little bit of time without kids for some girl time.

Rachel
04-21-2011, 04:28 PM
O.k. so I'm throwing myself out there.... I'm the FIAR sister that is looking at possibly going on a mini-vacation for myself, by myself.

I was looking at the map and thinking that Montana, Wyoming, Tennessee, or South Carolina looked good. Or maybe even somewhere in New England. I've never been to those places. And yes, I'd even love to visit Negin. That would be an enormous treat!

If anyone has an opinion or would like a visit from an online friend, let me know.

Robin in Colorado
04-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Rachel,

Yes!

Now... If, by mini-vaca, you are thinking of

coming to my house,
having your own room,
sharing a bathroom,
not having to do any chores or be responsible for anything,
eating meals with us or not (your choice),
entertaining yourself to some degree but us going out to dinner or something 'just us girls' or shopping or something a time or two,
and just hanging out as a guest who is also a friend (which means taking life around here as it comes),

then

we're all over it!

Rachel
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Robin - it's funny, CO was nearly on my list too. I've been there but it's been a very very long time and it's such a beautiful place.

Robin in Colorado
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
And, if I were going to go, I'd choose somewhere where I could paint landscapes, knit, read, paint my toenails, walk around and absorb the place, eat meals at small local places.... I'm thinking a small (10,000 or fewer) town in TN or MO or even Arkansas ('cause I can't abbreviate that). I would want WIFI access, though. :lol:

Robin in Colorado
04-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey, let me know if you want to come out. We'll have to wait until the kitchen is done, though. Until it's finished, we don't have a spare room or a kitchen or any surface to sit on. ;) But it should be finished soon!

Kendra AU
04-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Yes, but I'm rather off the beaten path. :D All of our vacation ideas rather focus on places we've learned about using FIAR. ;) All though right now my family is completely keen on going up the mountain to await some snow..

You know, as long as I don't make them hike the mountain again because apparently spending 8 hours climbing up and then back down is still so firmly etched in our eldest's mind that he was terrified "going up the mountain" means just that. :lol:

Rachel Jane
04-21-2011, 06:22 PM
:hi: You can come here if you come during the week. :)
I work Fridays and Saturdays. You could come to work with me, but that probably wouldn't be all that fun for you.

Heather W
04-21-2011, 06:34 PM
:hi:

I could show you the best of the Fingerlakes in NY (http://www.fingerlakes.com/)...

But you'd have to crash on the floor and share a bathroom with six other people.

We take crashers anytime they want to come, but we always make sure you know what you are up for when you come.

Come the the first weekend of June and you can be my buddy at the homeschool convention in Rochester. You'll get in free and I'll have a bud. That way we stay in a hotel and it'll be fun! I'm speaking on Friday and Saturday...

:)

You just let me know...

Rachel
04-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Heather - that is very enticing!

I have a lot to think about, my friends! ;)

Ronette in CA
04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd host any of you!! I have a newly remodeled guest house! You could have your own little retreat in peace and quiet. When you were ready to emerge from your cocoon, I could take you to the beach or to the mountains or to the Norton Simon Museum of Art or to Disneyland or to Hollywood or to....well pretty much anywhere you wanted to go.

You could sleep until noon. I'd bring you breakfast in bed. I could entertain you as much as you want or I could leave you alone with your thoughts and your books for as long as you want. Your vacation. Your call.

Any takers! I live in So. Cal and it is beautiful here right now!:D

Rachel
04-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Ronette - Oh that's so tempting too!!!

maria maria
04-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Okay Ronette, get out your calendar because I do not think I'm going to be the last one saying "Sign me up!" for my week at your retreat! Hmmmm, but will a week be long enough? :lol:

Kendra AU
04-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Soo.. Ronette, how far are you from Legoland?!?! :D

Christi in VA
04-22-2011, 07:48 AM
I'd do it. :) As others said, it would be trading one set of kids for another, but we would be happy to just be "home base" for accomodations if you wanted to visit anything in the blue ridge mountains/DC/ skyline caverns/PA/ MD area...we do have extra sleeping arrangements but not an extra bathroom. Can't wait to see what you decide to do!

Rachel Jane
04-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Oh Rooooooooonnnneeeeeeetttte! ;)

I have a bed for you, Rachel, but you'd have to share a bathroom with the rest of us.

Paige P
04-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Come here, come here :hi: :)

You'd have your own room and your own bathroom :D It's already fairly warm ( ;) ) here, though (upper 80s typically). BUT, we do have a pool. The kids are already swimming, but the water's about 75 (too cool for me). It'll be in the 80s before too long, though.....

Of course, if you want to escape kids, I have 4 who are right about the ages of your dc...... not sure if that's what you're looking for.......

Jen in OK
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
You know you're always welcome here. ;) Of course, the guest room bed is still in the box and there's no shower curtain --or any window coverings. And then you'd have to listen to Jack asking where your kids are a million times... Well, maybe that wouldn't be so restful after all! :lol:

Rachel
04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
My choices are getting harder and harder.

I don't need my own bathroom. I don't really even need my own "real" bed but sleeping somewhere under a roof and maybe preferably not the garage might be nice.

I might be going on vacations every few months for the next year! :lol:

Jen, I just might have to set up your bed when I come for my vacation next week. :roflol: I'm sure Alice will be very confused as well when Sam isn't doing his strangling love hug because he's not there.

Kim in IN
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM
I will add in one more choice. I know it says Kim in Indiana but we are fairly close to Chicago. You can even take the train in if you are like me and don't want to drive in the city. Also we have the Dunes National Park here with Mt. Baldy (126 foot sand dune) that is fun to climb and a great work out (outlet mall nearby as well). People come from all over to see the Dunes.

Our daughter will gladly give you her room and sleep on the floor in our room...but you will have to share a bathroom with a bunch of boys!!

Kim

Elysa Mac
04-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Okay, I know you did SO not have Mississippi on your list, but if you or ANYONE ELSE wants a retreat, we have a huge bedroom available thru the first week of June. My daughter Betsie is gone to Thailand so her room, which is the biggest room in the entire house, is available. It is a newly remodeled former attic with its own balcony. It has beautiful sloping ceilings and a light, swimming pool bluish-green paint job.

We live out in the country surrounded by woods and meadows with very little traffic on our roads so they are great for long walks. We are about a mile and half or two miles from a river that can be hiked to and once there, you can climb on an old bridge and just soak up all the beauty.

We have chickens and horses and cats.

We are about 30 minutes from the city of Jackson which offers some nice museums, art galleries, old homes and neighborhoods to explore, funky shops (including an AMAZING vintage consignment store), scrumptious restaurants, flea markets and junk shops, great bookstores, lovely public gardens and nature trails, plus Natchez, Vicksburg, and Port Gibson....all very old towns filled with antebellum era homes and buildings along with other historical aspects. If you're into the blues, the Mississippi Delta is close enough for a day trip and lots of blues sites can be visited including Morgan Freeman's blue's club and restaurant.

We are also close enough to drive to New Orleans for a long day trip and that city is absolutely AMAZING!

If you've never seen the Mississippi Gulf Coast, we are close enough to do a day trip there as well.

And if all that isn't enough, we are part of a fabulous inner-city ministry so you could spend your Sunday afternoon worshipping, fellowshipping, and serving Jesus's precious least of these. You could be a part of prayer walking, serving a meal, helping someone "shop" in the free boutique on that afternoon or even participating in work projects on a Saturday.

Because I have teenagers, I'm free to go and play!:D

So y'all just come one down...or over or up...and enjoy some deep fried hospitality!:hi:

Ronette in CA
04-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Soo.. Ronette, how far are you from Legoland?!?! :D

One hour exactly from door to door! :)

Ronette in CA
04-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm really serious, girls.:)

Anyone who wants a get away by themselves is welcome. A big reason we remodeled it is to be more hospitable. It's got brand new everything. It's own bathroom. It has all brand new IKEA furniture. A double bed, wardrobe, couch and coffee tables. A small dining table with chairs and even a flat screen TV. It has a separate entrance.

If you're toying with the idea, the most convenient airport is John Wayne (SNA).:D

Any of you is welcome!:kiss:

Rachel Jane
04-22-2011, 11:53 AM
One hour exactly from door to door! :)

I am thinking my kids wouldn't forgive me if I was 1 hour from Legoland...without them!

MelissaSS
04-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Elysa Mac, how far are you from Tupelo??? :roflol:

Candace C
04-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Ronette...I'm packing my bags!! Sounds wonderful!!

{I wish!} :D

Rachael
04-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Wow, Ronette! You are really generous! I would love to do something like that, but my youngest isn't old enough that I get to take off on trips alone.

Elysa Mac, I live on the Gulf Coast, and I'd love to come stay up there! Your property sounds heavenly! And I'm always wanting to go visit Jackson, but it's such a long drive!

I'm right off I-10 on the Gulf Coast if anyone needs a room to stay around here. I can bunk the boys together and disinfect a room, LOL!

Elysa Mac
04-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Elysa Mac, how far are you from Tupelo??? :roflol:

About 3.5 to 4 hours. And yes, I've been to Elvis' birthplace. :D

Elysa Mac
04-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Elysa Mac, I live on the Gulf Coast, and I'd love to come stay up there! Your property sounds heavenly! And I'm always wanting to go visit Jackson, but it's such a long drive!

Rachael---You are welcome anytime. Seriously. And maybe sometime we could meet at the Hattiesburg Zoo. We have a membership there.

Robin in Colorado
04-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Okay, I'm putting this thread on my bulletin board. The next time DH says, "Honey, I think you need a break," I'll be pming one of you!

Elysa Mac
04-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Okay, I'm putting this thread on my bulletin board. The next time DH says, "Honey, I think you need a break," I'll be pming one of you!

:lol: You KNOW you are welcome here! :yes:

Amanda in MO
04-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Old plan: in two years, do traveling nursing and move to places where I don't know anyone or where anything is.
New plan: post on the boards before I plan my trips so I know where my FIAR mamas are and go there! ;)

Melissa Crabtree
04-23-2011, 06:11 PM
I just have to say, I'd LOVE to host you (even with your kids) but I'd have to find a place to send dh first. ;) He's not Mr. Hospitality or even Mr. let's-have-someone-we-know-really-well-over. He'd think I was a lunatic. :lol: I'd sure love to hang out with you though!

Elysa Mac
04-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Old plan: in two years, do traveling nursing and move to places where I don't know anyone or where anything is.
New plan: post on the boards before I plan my trips so I know where my FIAR mamas are and go there! ;)

Definitely like the NEW plan better than the OLD one!:thumb::thumb:

Amanda in MO
04-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Definitely like the NEW plan better than the OLD one!:thumb::thumb:

You're definitely on the "new plan" list Mrs Mac! I miss ya'll so much...and I've always wanted to pick up a southern accent. ;)

mariah m
04-24-2011, 07:11 AM
I have nothing to offer...no spare bedrooms and we're a little far from the beach :lol: And with my little ADHD monster, wouldn't be much of a vacation, LOL!

But a trip to CA or back "home" to NY...aaahhhhh!!!!

Jennifer in VA
04-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I'm always open to visiting and having someone. Can give you a bedroom, show you around some, take you the metro if you want to DC by you.