PDA

View Full Version : Thinking out loud and wanted your opinions...

Esther-Alabama
04-22-2011, 08:32 AM
My oldest ds is dyslexic. He is a GREAT kid and works hard in his schoolwork.

I feel completely sure that as he grows and moves into more difficult work, he will need more assistive technology. Right now, he has access to our schoolroom computer for all his writing assignments. And he has access to my iPad for the same purposes. My past idea had been to wait until he is old and get him a laptop for high school and college work.

He desperately wants an iPod touch. I am hesitant because of the limited ability I have to control it's Internet access. He LOVES to listen to books on tape and he especially enjoys listening to books before he goes to sleep at night.

I am thinking of skipping the laptop and going straight to an iPad. Technology is advancing daily and I am finding more and more apps for him to use and frankly for the price of only one high-powered word prediction software
program, I could get him an iPad. The apps I have are not as high powered and wonderful as the computer software, but I am seeing them develop and the ones he uses on my iPad are enough for him right now.

SO, I could get him an iPad, thereby giving him access to his music and books, plus allow him to do writing assignments and such. The iPad has a built in filter, plus I can put even stricter controls on it, than I could an iPod touch.

Am I nuts? He is twelve.

Rachel Jane
04-22-2011, 08:52 AM
No.:)
I would limit his access though.
You can go into setting restrictions and put in a code and you can turn off internet, youtube, etc. during the hours he is not to have internet access. You'll have to type in a code each time to get him back on line. You can do this now with his itouch. And I would. just sayin'.

For my guys, I just take the itouches from 10pm to 8 am.

My only hesitation with the ipad is that the keyboard, while easy to use, isn't as easy as a laptop. I have an app for making worksheets and such that will print out at home, but it seems like it would be hard to write an entire paper with an ipad. :unsure:

Esther-Alabama
04-22-2011, 10:10 AM
He does not have an iPod touch now. He just wants one!

Walk me thru how to set the restrictions on time and Internet access. I do know how to go into the settings and turn off YouTube and safari. I guess that is what I will do.... Completely restrict those functions.

I do plan on getting him a keyboard as well. My SIL has a wireless iPad keyboard and it is like our wireless one on the computer, a tad smaller than a full size, but easier to use.

And you are right about the document producing difficulties. I have the app Pages and it makes wonderful looking documents, but it is hard to print them out. Right now, I email them to myself as PDF files and then print them that way from the desktop computer.

Anyway, I am banking on technology improving fast enough that ds can continue to progress as the technology does.

Just in the past six months, the Reading for the Blind and Dyslexic association has created an app for listening to it's books on iPad and iPhone.

Hollie in SC
04-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Esther, most of the filter companies like NetNanny and SafeEyes also offer filters for iphones/itouch. Just another thing to ponder as you are considering it.

My boys have been saving since Christmas for their itouches, but I only gave them the :thumb: after Jen in SC showed me the places you can lock youtube and safari.

I love my itouch, but I can't imagine using it for writing papers and such. :unsure: If you have a place (Apple store or another store that sells them) or a friend with one where he can try it out, that might be a good place to start.

Esther-Alabama
04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
I think I have confused the issue. He wants an iPod touch, however, I have not gotten him one due to the issues of restrictions, etc...

I want to get him an iPad for typing papers, listening to books and music, working on math problems, and doing other schoolwork. I'd also get him a keyboard to use with it.

I am glad to know about safe eyes for iPad, though! Thanks!!

Hollie in SC
04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I think I have confused the issue. He wants an iPod touch, however, I have not gotten him one due to the issues of restrictions, etc...

I just re-read your original post. I was the confused one. :lol: :blush:

Rachel Jane
04-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I thought he was using your itouch or ipad in bed at night. I don't know where I got that! :lol:

To set restrictions:
Go to settings,
general,
then restrictions.
Press enable restrictions,
then type in a four digit code.
You need to type in the same code twice.
Press or swipe all the things you want to disable. (On means that it can be accessed, off means that it is disabled.)
Then tap General, at the top of the screen and you are done.

To disable restrictions, go to Settings, General, Restrictions, type in the password and change the settings back to how you originally had them.

Alice R
04-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't know one single thing about any of these "i" things but if you think it will benefit him and you can control what he can access on the internet, what is wrong with that?

I got Nathaniel contact lenses at 11 and people were like "he's so young!". No, not really. I know my son and it's fine for him.

There is no magic age for things...when they are ready is fine. Heck, we all know ADULTS who should not be on the internet! :eek: With very secure settings, he's safer than a college kid, if you think about it.

If you think it is good, it sounds like a really nice idea. Technology is there to be used and enjoyed. Enjoy it! :)

And I fully enjoy my washing machine, dish waster, ride on lawn mower, electricity, interent, cable with DVR, the automobile, the sewing machine, my GPS, modern medicine, my trifocal lenses etc. :roflol: