PDA

View Full Version : All Those Secrets of the World/ Rationing

Sheri
04-30-2007, 11:54 AM
It's not mentioned in the book, but since we are making the lessons much more indepth for the older two we are really discussing WWII, and rationing keeps coming up, so Mike and I sat down and made "Ration books" for the kids to use.

It's funny because they are SO excited about it! And planning out how to use their time wisely to get most bang for their buck.

Anyway, there's a picture of the book we made on my blog. Now that's it's printed I can think of other things to add, but that's okay, this is fine the way it is. (I am stamping the vouchers as they use them)

Christie
04-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Neat idea! Reminds me of "victory gardens" too!

Amee
04-30-2007, 11:46 PM
That sounds like fun! My son was really interested in rationing, too.

We checked out a DVD from the library called "1940's House." It was a PBS mini-series where they had a family reenact life in England during the war. They had to live in an old house, dress in 1940's clothes, build a bomb shelter, black out the windows, live with rationing and shortages, etc. They even similated air raids, and they would have to jump out of bed in the middle of the night and go to the shelter. My son didn't want to sit through all of it, but older kids might enjoy it. My husband and I thought it was fascinating.

Sheri
05-01-2007, 07:15 AM
That sounds like fun! My son was really interested in rationing, too.

We checked out a DVD from the library called "1940's House." It was a PBS mini-series where they had a family reenact life in England during the war. They had to live in an old house, dress in 1940's clothes, build a bomb shelter, black out the windows, live with rationing and shortages, etc. They even similated air raids, and they would have to jump out of bed in the middle of the night and go to the shelter. My son didn't want to sit through all of it, but older kids might enjoy it. My husband and I thought it was fascinating.

WOW! I'll have to check and see if they have that at our library! Thanks for the info!

debbie in ak
05-01-2007, 09:53 AM
I have some of my grandparents' ration cards! I will have to pull them out when we row this book!

Amee
05-02-2007, 10:47 PM
I have some of my grandparents' ration cards! I will have to pull them out when we row this book!

How cool! We went to visit my grandmother and got her to reminiscing (sp?) about WW2, and she said now she wishes she had saved that kind of stuff. At the time she was glad to throw it away. I'm so glad we got to hear her stories, though.

She told us that her family never ate much catsup. There was a time when no one could get it, and they didn't really miss it. But one day her mother heard there was catsup at the store, and she ran out and bought as much as she could, just because it was finally available. They had catsup forever! :lol:

Sheri
05-03-2007, 07:25 AM
My dad was really young during rationing, but he remembers the ration cards and also "wooden chips" (Sort of like wooden nickels) that they gave them instead of ration cards. He says the butter came in a white block and a yellow capsule that you would break open and pour over the block and mix together to make it look more appealing, otherwise it looked like a block of lard.

ami*
05-03-2007, 07:31 AM
What a great idea!

Sheri, I sent you an email. :)

Rebecca G
05-03-2007, 11:57 AM
What a great idea. That also helps them to get a basic idea of budgeting which is very cool.

My grandfathers were both in WWII and we have pictures from the war taken by one grandpa and the other was very decorated. We have all his memorabilia. He has just recently begun to talk to me about the war. It was so stressful and painful for so many. My son just wrote the neatest paper about his granddad and it was really moving. We are very blessed to have them in our lives....

That same son is really interested in WWII and this ration card idea will really excite him:)
Thanks!

Amee
05-03-2007, 09:50 PM
OK, here I am on this thread for the third time. :blush:

My grandma told us about the butter, too! And she said that the stockings at that time had seams up the back of the legs. During the war they couldn't get stockings, so they drew lines up the backs of their legs (with eyebrow pencil, I think?) to similate stockings.

SoniaM
05-04-2007, 03:08 AM
oh i just bought some home decorating books off ebay and in one it mentioned flour/feed sacks that were used during the war- women made alsorts of stuff from them -childrens dresses, underwear ,loads of things--i looked up on ebay and you can buy them quite cheaply

Back then everyone had a vege garden in there yard to suppliment there diet

Alyson
07-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I found the coolest website with lots of information and copies of real ration books, and explanations of how they were used. Very cool!
http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org/exhibits/events/rationing.htm
Enjoy!

Susan A
07-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Sheri,
What things did you put in your ration book? I want to do this with KarliAnne...

Kendra AU
07-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Aimee, my mil talks about that show all the time! Apparently she saw it when it aired here at some point.

Kendra AU
07-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Sheri, I can't find it on your blog.. but since it's still early I might be functioning on "not quite awake yet"..

Amanda Williams
07-27-2010, 03:50 PM
OLD, old original post, but so COOL! :cool: