View Full Version : Required testing with special needs

Sue C
05-06-2011, 08:48 AM
We will be moving to WA. the end of this month whether our house sells or not. WA. has required testing, it sounds like it is more for parents then the state but you have to do it and you have to be able to show it if asked. My question is, what test or assessment is best with a special needs child. She has Asperger Syndrome so isn't low functioning but we are definitly now where a school would put us. :sad: She also has HIGH anxiety and won't do something if she thinks it will be wrong. I am so nervous about testing her. Does anyone know of an assessment or something where she wouldn't even have to be a part of it? My other daughter isn't special needs but has anxiety and panic attacks. I would like to keep the whole thing simple. I would welcome WA. homeschoolers input also because if I understand it right you can use whatever testing or assessment you want?

05-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Mn also requires yearly testing. The one that is supposedly best for special needs is the Peabody test. It is given one-on-one, and is primarily oral. The only part that requires writing is the actual writing test, which our tester does not give until grade 3.

I'm sure that once you get hooked into the local hs community out there, people will be able to connect you with the testing resources you need.

05-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Arkansas required testing too. You can get a note that your child has special needs and get special testing procedures OR you can test your child yourself with one of the tests you can buy - at home, at your own pace, low key. You might check into what exceptions or other choices you have.

My son doesn't have a lot of test anxiety, but he always tests horrible. We just have to do it (don't need any certain score) so far we have just done that. But, if it bothers him I would hesitate to try one of the other options.

There are always exceptions. Just look or ask for them.

05-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Washington is a very homeschool friendly state. I homeschool all three of my kids who are all special need kids. The school district puts out a pamphlet regarding homeschooling options for testing. Clark county guide for homeschoolers. In it is a list of options for testing. I chose the checklist assessment. You check off the things that you have accomplished or covered the past year, add in the remarks your Or your childs situation. Then send it into a Washington state teacher. They sign it off, you keep the record sent back and you have met the states requirement.
I have discovered though, that I may do the free style option next year. It gives me more freedom to cover the items I am choosing.
Anyways, al that to say , there are many options to testing that the State accepts. I can pm you if you want more info too.

Welcome To Washington State! Do you know what county you will be moving?

Sue C
05-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Thank you everyone. I'm usually very laid back, take whatever person but this testing of my special needs daughter has me stressed. Jenene thank you and yes, I would love to 'talk' to you. :D We are moving to the Tri-Cities, Richland to be exact. Where are you at? I can't remember if I saw it somewhere or someone said something about you don't need to send your test to the state, you just need to have it on hand as proof, if ever asked for it. Do you know about that?

05-11-2011, 04:01 PM
I just send the assessment into the teacher, she signs it and sends it back with a note to say you have met the requirements for testing. I just file it for my records if ever asked for it, along with my intent to homeschool I fill out each year for the state. That you get from your local school. You fill that out for each kid over 8 and they send it back signed. Super easy.
I live in Vancouver, Wa, just north of Portland, Or. The teacher assessment form is through a company in Mead, Wa by Spokane... so that is even closer to where you will be. It is called Family Learning Organization. www.Familylearning.org. Very nice people running it, I have talked to them over the phone and they are very helpful!