PDA

View Full Version : OT for ADD/ADHD?

Laura F
05-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi girls.

I just discovered this week that OTs can treat patients with ADD! That's exciting to me! My 8 y.o. dd responds really well to her meds, but they don't kick in until 45 minutes after she's finished breakfast and then they wear off in the afternoon. She is like 2 different children: one who is attentive, careful, and quiet (on meds) and a wild child who goes wherever her eyes take her (off meds). Home schooling is great for her, and she spends as much time outside and being active as possible.

Still...she can make life really difficult for the rest of the family. So someone suggested seeing an OT. I'm game, and we met for a short consultation this afternoon. I've made an appointment for a formal evaluation, and then the OT will come up with a treatment plan. I'm just wondering if anyone else has used an OT for this and how effective it is? I'm willing to try just about anything, especially if someone else can teach my dd some self-awareness and coping skills!

Also, has anyone tried bioneurofeedback?

Laura F
05-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Anyone? At all?

TonyaP
05-15-2011, 10:44 PM
DS sees a psychologist for this and a few other issues. We were referred by our pediatrician. Right now we are working on expressing emotions, but she would also work with us on the ADD stuff- it's just not our first priority. We are using a combination of medications and therapy, but we also have more than "just" ADHD going on.

So yes, if you get the right person I think they could definitely help your child develop coping skills. You might browse some books on the topic as well, just to get an idea of what to look for in an OT. We pretty much have just gone with whom our pediatrician recommended for now.

Tiffany
05-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Hi Laura,
Yes, we started seeing an OT a few months ago. My son is 9 and has a multitude of issues going on with him. He was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD 4 years ago, but that is now not his official diagnosis and we are in the process of getting that figured out. He did start on medication in January, and that helped some to mellow him out a bit with his anxiety. But what has helped tremendously is OT. I did not know very much about sensory processing disorder and how many ways a child can struggle with sensory issues until we started this. The Out of Sync Child by Kranowitz is a great resource to understand this better and which ways your child might be affected. The sensory activities that our OT is teaching us at home are the first extremely practical and useable tools we have really found in 9 years to help our son. He is learning things like "how does my engine run"? If he is "high" (totally wild and hyper), we have a lot of things we can do to get him to "just right", which is a state of (relatively) focused and calm. Without this there is really no way we could homeschool or do anything. I wish I would have known about this years ago, as it would have saved our son and our family so much grief. So, all of this to say, that if your daughter is struggling with any type of sensory issues, this will help her tremendously.

Laura F
05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Thank you, Tiffany. I haven't known anyone who has used an OT for ADD, so it's nice to hear some real feedback. Unfortunately my current pediatrician won't write a prescription for the OT, and the psychiatric nurse practitioner that we see for meds says that she can't write one either. So... we'll be switching peds to find someone who wants to help us by doing more than just prescribing meds (which work but don't really help my dd control her impulses once they're out of her system).

Tiffany
05-20-2011, 09:49 AM
That is so frustrating. I hope you are able to find a new ped. soon. Much work is being done to educate doctors, schools, and parents about sensory processing disorder (I believe that is the correct name now- not positive b/c it has changed). Learning about this has explained so much to me. In the meantime, you may want to read The Out of Sync Child (my library had it and then I bought it) to help you understand more and The Out of Sync Child Has Fun is full of hands-on activities to do to help your child in each deficit area. Really parent-friendly and a wealth of information.

Laura F
05-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Tiffany, thanks again for the suggestion. When we met with the OT for a free consultation, she mentioned that she would test for sensory problems and then explained that sensory problems were far-reaching and varied. She also said most kids with ADD have some sensory issues. I'll see if our library has the book while we wait to see a new ped.

Bek from Aus
05-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi Laura,

We see an OT for both my older boys. My eldest (9) has been diagnosed with ADHD and my middle son (6) is suspected of having ADD but we are not pursuing a diagnosis at this time. I have learned so much through the sessions with our OT and she works with the kids to teach them about their body and how it responds to different movements in different ways. Tiffany is right with regards to Sensory Processing Disorder. It is really quite common, even in those without any other diagnosis, but still very misunderstood by the medicos.

Another book to look us is called "Raising a Sensory Smart Child". This is also very good at explaining that SPD is and how to work with our kids. I hope that helps.

Bek.