View Full Version : need ideas

05-12-2011, 11:11 PM
my little guy (nearly 4yo ) but very, very delayed.... is sure a challenge now that the weather's nice. I want to take him outside, but he is hard to keep in the same area as the rest of the kids. He just wanders off... thankfully he's not fast moving at all. But fast enough that if I stop to do some weeding, or try reading a book, he is all the way across the yard. He does not respond to his name being called AT.ALL. :sad:
I'm glad we have a large property and the road is far off,so that 's not really a danger .. but wondering what I can do to reinforce "stay here and play" , etc. I'm thinking a fenced in play area might be needed, but I hate to do that,too.
any suggestions?

Sue C
05-13-2011, 08:43 AM
I would do a fence. :sad: I know it's an expense but you can't really put a price on a life either. Not much help I guess but the fence is the way I'd go.

05-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Having a fence with self locking gates that closed on their own (with a spring) saved my sanity when my youngest started walking. I think you would really benefit from it and so would he. Ours is not large, but inside is a sandbox, a swing, and a little table for her, plus room to run a little. I can allow her outside in the fence with any of he brothers and I don't have to worry about here running into the street.

05-13-2011, 11:02 PM
yeah, I guess that's what we need to do. today we were out for a bit, I stopped to sweep the porch,and the little stinker ran across the driveway with his stuffed bunny tucked under his arm, like they were both making a getaway. :lol: he's wobbly running, but getting faster every day! It was pretty hilarious to watch him though.

Dh and I think a simple fence would keep him contained... a visual barrier is enough to keep him in. he probably wouldn't try to crawl under something, or climb over somthing. he just doesnt' have that concept ...yet