View Full Version : Who to see for a diagnosis

Lisa in AL
05-13-2011, 11:18 PM
I have always suspected my oldest of having aspergers but I never had him evaluated. We just learned to deal with it. He has grown out of many of the behaviors. Now I am seeing the same behaviors in my youngest ds. I am considering having him evaluated. Where do I take him for an evaluation? Do I start with the family doctor? :unsure:

05-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Have you thought about Mitchells Place here in B'ham? It is a place specifically for children with aspergers and autism. They evaluate and treat and provide lots of information.

Here is the link to their website.


05-14-2011, 08:19 PM
We started with our pediatrician. She gave me an assessment to fill out and gave him the ADHD diagnosis, saying that she felt there was more going on. She referred us to a neurologist who specializes in Autism.

In the meantime, we requested a full evaluation through the school system (this child attends ps) and the psychologist gave me and his teacher an Autism assessment to fill out. We both scored him in the Asperger's category. The school gave me copies of those assessments and the eval results to the neurologist.

The neurologist ordered a brain MRI and an EEG to rule out other causes.
After those results were in, she gave him the diagnosis of Asperger's.

A psychologist, neuropsychologist, neurologist, or developmental pediatrician can diagnose Autism.

Hope this helps!