PDA

View Full Version : Rowing through the Human Body

MichelleL in Tn
04-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Okay I have a few books listed from FIAR for different things:
Senses-Storm in the night.
Lungs -Lentil-but we have already rowed that book.

Does anyone know of any good books that would be good for these body systems. FIAR or Non FIAR-maybe just something cute to read through while we are studying it.

Heart-(circulation) blood, oxygen
Kidneys and bladder, Spleen, Pancreas, gall bladder
Reproductive organs
Lungs-air, breathing, playing instrument

Skin, Eyes, Ears, Nose, Tongue, skin, cells

What about Mirette for Muscular system-balance?

Wende
04-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Wee Gillis for lungs
Madeline for digestive system (appendix)
Arabella - blood cells
Helen Keller (Beyond) - ears and eyes
Mrs. Katz and Tush could be a springboard for reproduction - the cat has kittens
not FIAR, but the author of Mirette also wrote a book called "Bobbin Girl" which would be a good one to read for respiratory system.
HTH,

Kendra AU
05-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Make Way For Ducklings would be good for reproductive because the Mallards lay and hatch out their eggs.

Ears/Hearing - Gramma's walk (they listen for the sounds), Storm In The Night (eyes .. what they can and can't see, all though I liked it more for sound), Babar To Duet Or Not To Duet (sound again as he plays the piano..) How To Make An Apple Pie And See The World (we used this one for taste in the 5 senses because she got to taste the apple pie, but smell would work too because you can't help but smell a pie while it cooks.. there's also sight in this one because of everything she sees..)

We're using Miretta to cover balance vs copper this row through too. :)

Madline is a great book for covering bits of the human body. Someone had a digestive paperbag craft to do. It's terrific!

kendra

Paige P
05-01-2007, 03:01 PM
I don't know about all the others, but I used Madeline to do a lesson on the major torso parts and did the paper bag craft. (You use a paper bag and different materials to label all the body parts -- the kids loved it, and it shows them where everything is.) If you want the craft, let me know, and I'll post it for you.

Amber in Ga
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't know about all the others, but I used Madeline to do a lesson on the major torso parts and did the paper bag craft. (You use a paper bag and different materials to label all the body parts -- the kids loved it, and it shows them where everything is.) If you want the craft, let me know, and I'll post it for you.

I'm not the original poster but would love to hear more about this activity.
Thanks

Shannon P
05-01-2007, 04:15 PM
It isn't on your list, but Gramma's Walk is a good opportunity to talk about muscles and bones, because they motivate us around. That could lead into the heart and circulation system as a means of supplying oxygen to working muscles.

MichelleL in Tn
05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the ideas...

We will be making lifesize human bodies-you trace the kids actual body onto butcher paper and then put it on the parts each day/week as you go over them. They get to draw their own faces and add their own hair etc.

A friend of mine did it with her dc and they loved it!

ami*
05-01-2007, 09:42 PM
:hi: Michelle!

Did you check the science index at HSS? I am almost positive there are books that cover the muscular system, skeletal system, digestive system, and circulatory system. Lots of lessons on eyes, too, I think. There will be a new unit released this fall that covers skin as well as sense of smell. :)

:) Ami

violettafrancesca
05-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Planning this myself for next year... I just added "Little Bunny Follows His Nose" by Katherine Howard, for our senses study. It's a super cute book not scientific though. It runs about 10.00 and has scratch and sniff stickers. Little bunny follows his nose on adventures and helps whoever he runs into... mouse making strawberry jam, raccoon getting cucumbers for pickles, on and on. We ordered it from Powell's bookstore and they are online.

MichelleL in Tn
05-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey Ami,

Yes, I have the HS Share list and have them noted....

I'm pretty sure we will row FireKeepers Son , maybe A Day's Work and
I have a valuetale on Wilma Rudolph-so we may read through that...

I'll be looking in the fall for the new studies out...We won't be doing this human body stuff till the fall anyhow...

Everyone else, thanks for the ideas-I am going over them again...Problem is we have rowed most of the books already...
We may just re-read through the ones we have already rowed for 1 week just to refresh and to pull out that part of it more in detail. My dc loved Lentil Madeline and Wee Gillis... Grandma's walk is one we have not yet done...(So we can do that one then.)

Blessings

Paige P
05-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Amber, here's the body-parts project for Madeline. I thought this was a cute, easy way to introduct the main body parts (although, Michele's butcher block paper idea sounds great, too!).

You will need:
* brown paper bag,
* 3 sandwich baggies
* paper towel tube
* long flexible straws (I found some at Dollar General)
* glue
* tape
* yarn
* dry manicotti noodles (and rigattoni noodles if you want)
* construction paper heart
* labels for each body part if you want
Instructions:
1) Cut arm holes and a neck hole into the paper bag. This will be the wearable "body."
2) Cut out a construction paper heart and glue it into position onto the body.
3) Label the paper towel tube "esophagus" and thoroughly tape a plastic baggie onto the bottom of the tube. Label the baggie "stomach." Glue the "esophagus" down the center front of the "body." Once the body is worn, have the child "drop" a piece of candy from the mouth, into the esophagus, and watch it fall into the stomach.
4) Take 2 flexible straws and thoroughly tape baggies to the ends of the straws. Tape/Glue the baggies to the chest area of each side of the body -- they will be the lungs. Once the body is worn, the child can blow into the straws and see how the lungs inflate and deflate.
5) Under the stomach, glue lots of yarn to show the intestines. You could make a "glob" of yard at one point on the right side to show the appendix (it's actually where your small intestines and large intestines join). Your appendix "ruptures" or gets infected and needs to come out when food (well, poop, really) gets trapped in there and gets "infected" (I think that's right -- if I'm wrong, please let me know).
6) On the back, glue the dry manicotti noodles to show the vertebrate of the spine. You can do one vertically and one horizontally to show the vertebrate and the disc in between. I'm going to use manicotti noodes for the vertebrate and rigattoni noodles for the disc.

This was a fun, creative way to introduce the body parts. Hope you find it helpful.......