PDA

View Full Version : Front loader washer and dryer pedestal?

shonda in ca
05-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Do I need the pedestal for these appliances? They seem terribly expensive just to raise the beasts up a foot and a half and I'm already short. :unsure:
Sales are tomorrow so I want to figure it out. :)

WendyW
05-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Buying the pedestals is not your only option. There are several DIY blogs that have instructions for building your own pedestals for machines. They are just plywood and 2x4's (4x4"s?) and can't possibly be very expensive.

Shannon P
05-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Pedestals are not necessary. In fact, they may cause additional sound due to vibration, especially if the laundry room is on the second floor. If you have back pain, the pedestals are a welcome accommodation to keep you from stooping as much.

AmyinWI
05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
yes, there are lots of ideas to build your own pedestals/platforms! I just ran across some neat sites with laundry room redos that were great. I'll try to find a few examples for you.

Here's one http://mattjessicapope.blogspot.com/2011/04/laundry-room-makeover.html
and here http://www.iheartmygluegun.com/2011/03/our-laundry-room.html

I don't really think they are necessary though,and I opted to NOT buy the pedestal. I'm not extremely tall ,but not short either. It hasnt' been a problem at all. when we bought our new washer, we had an older dryer that we were not replacing, so we didn't bother with the pedestals,since we already didn't have a matching set.

Dawn Gilmore
05-30-2011, 12:06 AM
My husband just built a big box... now it has to be VERY sturdy, because those washers weigh a LOT! (They use cement to keep them balanced, because they spin so fast.)

We aren't currently using the box, since we moved, and I do miss it! (I'm only 5'1" but I'm definitely bending over a lot more to empty the washer.)

Jodi B
05-30-2011, 06:03 AM
If you have back pain, the pedestals are a welcome accommodation to keep you from stooping as much.

That's why I have them -- the extra storage they provide is nice too, but no they are not required. :)

Jill in Monrovia
05-30-2011, 06:14 AM
You don't need a pedestal. DH might like one to make it higher but if you're short, no. Sometimes I just sit on the floor and move the clothes over. Sometimes I kneel.

Jill in Monrovia

Sheri
05-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Nope! Ours stack but when they are unstacked we have the option for pedestal or no pedestal.

I'm short too, admittedly the dryer is a bit low when it's not stacked, but it's not that big of a deal)