PDA

View Full Version : summer indoor temps

Rachel Jane
06-01-2011, 08:01 AM
At what temperature do you keep your home in the summer?

I can handle up to 77* but once it hits 78* indoors, I wilt.
My husband would like to keep it at 70*
We compromise at 74* in our bedroom.

Michelle B.
06-01-2011, 08:12 AM
We have it at about 78-80 during the day and lower it at night. I'd love it lower but it's so crazy hot out already!

Jo in PRC
06-01-2011, 08:16 AM
RJ - you won't like my answer. Our indoors is whatever temperature the outdoors is. Sometimes it gets into the 90's. Thankfully the summer rains usually start in June and it cools down a bit.

Ginger Lynn
06-01-2011, 08:17 AM
We would love to have it around 68-72. But it's never that. More days then not it's 80-90 June-Aug.:eek:

Jen in OK
06-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Right now our upstairs is set at 82. It feels fine if we're just up there sleeping because the fans keep it feeling fine. If I'm going to be up there doing chores, I have to turn it down.

The downstairs ones are at 78, I think. I keep the fans on and it usually feels pretty good.

Dh would probably like to keep it at about 83 and I would like to keep it at about 65. I don't know what we're going to do when I reach menopause. :lol:

Rachel Jane
06-01-2011, 08:18 AM
RJ - you won't like my answer. Our indoors is whatever temperature the outdoors is. Sometimes it gets into the 90's. Thankfully the summer rains usually start in June and it cools down a bit.

You know how spinach looks after it has been cooked? That would be me. :wornout:

Rachel Jane
06-01-2011, 08:20 AM
I can run in heat up to 95*, but then HAVE to cool down out of the sun and heat.

Rebe
06-01-2011, 08:29 AM
I would be fine with 77 or 78.
Dh is very unhappy with anything over 74. My oldest is also now complaining that it's "hot" in here, too. Well, yes, guys, it's summer! But we keep it around 75. I'd rather pay the bill than deal with cranky men.

My preference is just for money reasons. I DREAD seeing that electric bill! Last year the summer was the hottest we've had for many years, and we didn't pay off the A/C bill until January.

Angela Rose
06-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Right now we keep it at 79. This rental is a really weird house, it is actually cooler upstairs?

BethInOK
06-01-2011, 08:38 AM
We have a single AC for a two story house. The control is downstairs, so it reads the warmer part of the house. I keep it at about 72, which makes it bearable upstairs & chilly downstairs. When the kids are older and don't need naps (upstairs) then I'll bump it up a bit during the day and we'll just stay downstairs.

DawneShelton
06-01-2011, 08:41 AM
We keep ours set for 74 in summer, and 71 in winter.

Christi in VA
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Ours runs on a schedule.
Summer:
6 am to about 8 pm it stays around 74
the nighttime hrs it stays at 76, I think.

Winter
6 am to about 8 pm it stays around68
nighttime is 70 or so...

I'm just trying to remember off the top of my head.
We also shut off the vents downstairs b/c we only have one unit and our air flow is not great. I am not sure what the plan was when this house was built but there is no efficiency in how things run in the heating/cooling department. We don't sleep downstairs.

Angela Paige
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
We keep ours at 77-78 during the day, and we lower it to 72 at night.

So often I've wished we had a little more space as we are cramming 7 people into a 1200 sq ft home, but lately (with the onset of hot, humid Louisiana weather) I am thankful that we are cooling a relatively small home. :lol:

Paige

shonda in ca
06-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Day and night 78!

TinaM
06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Oh wow, i dont think we could handle such high temps inside! Ours is 68 at night and around 70 during the day. In fact, because our master bedroom is the hottest during the summer, even with our ceiling fan on high, we're getting a tower fan as well. We live on base btw so for now, they dont charge us utilities.

Linda
06-01-2011, 10:41 AM
78, round the clock.

Sheri
06-01-2011, 10:45 AM
73-75 during the day 72 at night with at least 6 fans on at all times.

In California we kept it at 68 all the time, so much more comfortable, but this house is so much bigger we can't keep it that cool.

Susan Seaman
06-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Ours is 76 or 77 round the clock. It's a little cool for me, actually, but not cool enough to complain.

When my mil comes, we crank it down to 72.

I don't know what temp it is in the office I'm working in today, but I suspect it's about 72. That's why I wore a jacket today and am glad the gal I'm filling in for has a heater under her desk. I haven't had to use the heater today since I've got the jacket.

Rachel Jane
06-01-2011, 11:23 AM
78, round the clock.

I want to get past that 78* mark. Is there a way to change the body's response to heat?

debbie in ak
06-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Most Alaskan homes don't have air conditioning because our season is so short. We have been in the 80's this past week...which means that our house is close to that (a little lower).

Rachel Jane
06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
It gets to be over 100* and humid here at the Jersey Shore.

Gitel in nj
06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Well..it gets moved around a lot but in general upstairs (when we are in the house) we have it at 80* (occasionally at night or when I am in my office I will kick it down to 78*) we have a ceiling fan in our bedroom. When we leave the house (even to go to the store) I will push it up to 84*

We try to use the downstairs AC as little as possible, but when we do it is also set at 80* (with the occasional 78* getting snuck in there)

I mostly use it to cut the lovely NJ humidity which I find way more annoying than the heat..

shonda in ca
06-01-2011, 11:41 AM
It gets to be over 100* and humid here at the Jersey Shore.

You don't have an ocean breeze? :unsure:

Anjie in PA
06-01-2011, 11:47 AM
We just have window units, sooo ... when we get too hot we turn them on, and when it starts to feel a little chilly we turn them off! How's that for an exact science?! ;)

Rachel Jane
06-01-2011, 12:15 PM
You don't have an ocean breeze? :unsure:

I am not directly on the water (500 feet from the river, a mile from the ocean), so we aren't as cool as the beach residents, but much cooler than even five minutes inland. We used to have a breeze off of the river, but someone built an upstairs on their garage and it redirected our airflow. Pout.

Stacia
06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Mid-70s in the daytime (when dh isn't around to complain about the heat), 70 at night (which means it's in the low 70s upstairs).

Dh wishes we would have it low enough for snow to fall indoors. :lol: He actually likes it so low that sometimes I'll wear a light jacket downstairs in our house at night. Last night, he asked if we could move north of the Arctic Circle. :D

Gitel in nj
06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I am not directly on the water (500 feet from the river, a mile from the ocean), so we aren't as cool as the beach residents, but much cooler than even five minutes inland. We used to have a breeze off of the river, but someone built an upstairs on their garage and it redirected our airflow. Pout.

People don't realize how hot and humid New Jersey gets in the summer...it can be brutal. Sure we don't get it for as long as say...Alabama, but our weather does rival theirs during the height of the summer. Of course we also get the brutal cold in the winter--like VT. What can we say? New Jersey is a special place :roflol:

Susan A
06-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I grew up in NJ and now live in Alabama....nothing beats the South for hot and humid!!!!!!!!! We didn't even have air in NJ...here we would absolutely melt without it!!!:lol:

Joy in Alabama
06-01-2011, 03:21 PM
We keep ours at 80 and still have a very high electric bill - it's an old house (parsonage) and apparently all the cool is going outside. But, hey, it's cooler in here than out there (105 heat index today).

Robin(CA)
06-01-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm happy at 79 or 80 (about 26 C) and since we don't pay electric here it's that warm by choice.
of course it's 110 and humid here so 80 feels pretty cool. ;)

Rachel Jane
06-01-2011, 04:14 PM
People don't realize how hot and humid New Jersey gets in the summer...it can be brutal. Sure we don't get it for as long as say...Alabama, but our weather does rival theirs during the height of the summer. Of course we also get the brutal cold in the winter--like VT. What can we say? New Jersey is a special place :roflol:

Actually, I kind of love this about NJ. There are usually only two weeks in the summer over 100 and two weeks in the winter below zero. I can go out and play the other 50 weeks of the year.

Gitel in nj
06-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I grew up in NJ and now live in Alabama....nothing beats the South for hot and humid!!!!!!!!! We didn't even have air in NJ...here we would absolutely melt without it!!!:lol:

I agree that the south is hot and humid for longer...but let me tell you it is 88* out now (5PM) and 100% humidity with tornado warnings until 8PM--I currently do not have the air on and I am melting--seriously!
Now, tomorrow it will probably be 81* and much less humid, which you won't get in Alabama..but when it gets hot and humid here it can, indeed, rival the south (just for less time!)

Actually, I kind of love this about NJ. There are usually only two weeks in the summer over 100 and two week in the winter below zero. I can go out and play the other 50 weeks of the year.

I love NJ weather, mostly, too...but I would say that for us inland dwellers :lol: those extremes are more often and more intense...ugggh!

Linda
06-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I want to get past that 78* mark. Is there a way to change the body's response to heat?

:unsure:

I know when my air goes out, I'm miserable and beyond cranky, but, given time, you adjust. (you don't want to but you do ;) ). I'd try just bumping it up to 79 and see how you feel. I try to think about the early pioneers to this state w/ no electricity and wearing long sleeves and long wool skirts w/ underthings. :eek: I don't know how they did it! 115-120 in heavy wool? I melt just thinking about it. So, when I have to, that's how I adjust to having the air bumped up a bit. I did have a friend that kept their apartment at 85. Good gracious I hated going over to her house while the sun was up! :p Way, way, way too hot for me. Which is weird because 85 outside, especially in the summer, is rather cool! :spin:

There are times when I find it's too cold in here so I'll bump the air up to 80. Then, I start doing something besides sitting on my duff and I wonder why I'm getting so hot. :lol: Oh yeah, gotta turn that air back down. :crazy:

Jodi B
06-01-2011, 07:20 PM
76 day / 78 night.

I've tried 77 day, but I get too lethargic. :unsure:

laurie in ok
06-01-2011, 08:54 PM
With our "fixed" ac our house was 80 today. I had it set at 78 - but it wouldn't cool to that. It was almost more than I could bear. I can't stand being extremely hot. This is enough to make me move somewhere cold. :lol:

Laura Lee
06-01-2011, 09:22 PM
78 degrees day and night here.

I grew up in northern, NJ with only 1 window unit in our house (LR) and we only turned it on when necessary. My dad is very frugal. It does get very hot and humid in NJ. My mom would get wet in the pool and cook in her bathing suit!

My mom and dad live in Sarasota, Florida now and he keeps it on 81 degrees - too hot for me!

Shannon P
06-02-2011, 12:19 AM
78, day and night. I can live with 80 and would like to save money, but dh can't stand 80.

We lived without an A/C for ten years in this house before we retrofitted an A/C. It was regularly 85 during the day, and sometimes up to 90 (no attic=no insulation.)

Cool showers help.

barbara r
06-02-2011, 07:55 AM
RJ - you won't like my answer. Our indoors is whatever temperature the outdoors is. Sometimes it gets into the 90's.

that's my life, too! :D actually, it's usually in the 90's. and humid.

i sweat in places i never knew you could sweat before. :blush:

especially when in my hot kitchen cooking dinner....

and it's true...you DO get used to it...slowly! :crazy:

Linda
06-02-2011, 10:22 AM
that's my life, too! :D actually, it's usually in the 90's. and humid.

i sweat in places i never knew you could sweat before. :blush:

especially when in my hot kitchen cooking dinner....

and it's true...you DO get used to it...slowly! :crazy:

A good friend moved to a remote area of Thailand and has acclimated to the weather now, sort of. :lol: She said that when the temperature dropped into the high 80's, they actually felt chilly. It took her about a year to get to that point, but constant high temps and humidity, with no possibility of having air conditioning anywhere, makes a body adjust because it has no choice. :spin:

Robin in Colorado
06-02-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't know what temp we keep it. We don't have a/c. We do have a swamp cooler but don't use it until it starts getting in the high 80's outside.

It gets hot here but usually not high humidity, so it is nothing like southern OK, where I grew up. However, the days when it's in the high 80's and the humidity gets high, it is pretty uncomfortable but you can't use the swamp cooler on those days anyway, so we just retreat to the basement or go to the park.

Rachel Jane
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
My indoor temp is reading 79*.
I have the windows and screen doors open- possibly a huge mistake given the allergy issues I have.
A lovely breeze is passing straight through the house.

~Feeling a little warm, but it is bearable.